Controversial non-metal opinions

I suspect there may be zero overlap in the Yes you've heard vs. the Yes I've heard, so I can't say what you're basing this off of, but you seriously need to listen to The Yes Album and Fragile before writing them off. Seriously.

Imo Yes's charm is in their uplifting, happy-go-lucky mood and they way they take a style so 'serious business' as prog rock and turn it into something fun and heart-warming that just makes you want to sing/dance along. They've got a vibe all their own, and it's a wonderful thing.

This is a great post.Yes is a great happy band to listen to.Roundabout is Yes most well known song not Owner Of A Lonley Heart.

Well, I've heard Close to the Edge and Relayer. Close to the Edge is okay. There's just nothing that appeals to me in their sound. I need some engaging rhythms and grooves.

It could be argued that Round About is their most known song.

It could be argued, but there is no argument that Owner of a Lonely Heart is the most known/popular song by them commercially. And you know it.

Roundabout peaked at #13 in the charts and is rarely played on stations.

Owner peaked at #1 and also charted in the Disco and R&B charts at the time. And is the most constantly played Yes song on the radio.

I'm not saying it is the most artistically better song but Owner is the most known/popular song of theirs. With Roundabout being second of course...

That song is a terrible standard to hold them by.
I don't hold them by that song/standard. Just merely saying that if I barely even like their most pop song then obviously I'm not fond of their other material.

I thought that was a great commercial song, more than a great commercial song, it was a great progressive commercial song. Stands out more to me than most of its competition at that time.
I could agree with this for it's time.

Listen to the song "Heart of the Sunrise."
I will give it a spin tonight hopefully.

Thats generational, younger peeps would only remember Owner unless they listen to old rock radio then Roundabout would surely stick out. Roundabout wins hands down because it has more time in the mind than Owner, belongs to a better generation, is totally epic, plus its all in and around the lake...

Roundabout would be remember for years.Owner would just be dated 80s pop song.

I think it deserves better than that, at least I dont hear it as "dated", as in behind or lesser than anything since. Wish I could pull it up on youtube now but my rebooted computer wont install a player and Im retarded... sorry technically challenged

I do love Owner of a Lonely Heart but mainly for its camp value. I mean, I like a lot of pop music, and Lonely Heart certainly wouldn't be among the top pop tracks in my mind, but it does have a kickass riff. If it wasn't Yes, I wouldn't care for it, for a variety of reasons. But as a Yes song I can see the humor in it and enjoy it as the kickass bubblegum jam it is.

Heart of the Sunrise is definetly Yes's best IYAM, but Close to the Edge would be close behind and I've always liked Southside of the Sky.

I've seen all good people turn their heads each day
so satisfied I'm on my way.
I've seen all good people turn their heads each day
so satisfied I'm on my way.
Take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life.
Make the white queen run so fast she hasn't got time to make you wise.
'Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and its news is captured
For the queen to use.
Move me on to any black square,
Use me any time you want,
Just remember that the golds
for us to capture all we want, anywhere,
Don't surround yourself with yourself,
Move on back two squares,
Send an instant comment to me,
Initial it with loving care
Don't surround
Yourself.

1970, played on AM rock radio continously with a vocal and melodic phrasing never before heard, grabbing you with hooks that wouldnt let go.

Let's discuss the respective talents of these two rock guitar greats: Tony Iommi and Martin Barre.

Both share somewhat similar soloing styles (blues-influenced hard edge/rock solos), and both play some crushingly heavy and/or awesome riffs. Personally, I enjoy Barre more (enter controversial and somewhat biased opinion :cool:); I like his melodic tendencies more, I think. I also love his subtle tastefulness. Of course, Sabbath is nowhere near as progressive as Tull is, and I also think that Barre's playing is more often second to Anderson's showmanship, while Iommi has more room to shine. However, I also applaud Iommi because he is the original doom metal riff godfather, and wrote some apocalyptically crushing stuff.

Which one do you guys prefer, and why?

Iommi for the reasons you stated as well as he wrote some beautiful acoustic pieces like Fluff off of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath as well as the ending to the song Heaven and Hell or parts of Children of the Sea... etc...

Hard for me to say, especially since I don't listen to a whole lot of Tull, but didn't Ian Anderson do the vast majority of songwriting for Tull? On that basis I would consider Iommi more talented, just because I value songwriting as a talent more than just guitar work. On the basis of guitar work though, it seems like no contest in favor of Barre since Tull's music tends to be much more subtle and emotionally evocative than Sabbath (i.e. totally hair raising guitar moments on "Aqualung", "My God", "The Whistler", etc.).

Anderson composed many of the songs and arrangements, but I think Barre had quite a bit of freedom when it came to his individual part. In all honesty though I'm not sure; that's something I should look into.