Controversial non-metal opinions

Mathiäs;7165914 said:
- What Queen stuff have you heard? I can people hating their gay stuff like Bicycle (I like it :oops:) but they were a huge influence on progressive metal.

Don't forget that Stone Cold Crazy is pretty much proto-thrash

Queen were really flamboyant in both music and attitude, and it may be difficult to like them, though I've got to say that they've pretty much piqued my interest in music, when I was 13 or so. They were a talented bunch. From their adventurous trek across many styles to Freddy's vocal acrobatics, what's there not to like?:p

I think it is really fucking stupid that no one listens to much indie rock here.

I could see why they don't...I mean there's a lot of good stuff in the genre, but there's also a lot of stuff that sucks or sounds the same. It's kind of like how people are with rap/hip-hop.

I could see why they don't...I mean there's a lot of good stuff in the genre, but there's also a lot of stuff that sucks or sounds the same. It's kind of like how people are with rap/hip-hop.

No, because Indie Rock is a term as wide as Extreme Metal. I am sure we all can tell the difference between black metal and death metal. The same goes all the sub-genres of indie rock.

Listening to Neutral Milk Hotel as we speak, haha... On Avery Island. But these guys are the only indie band I like.

Any recs from some really gritty, lo-fi indie rock? Stuff that's not too optimistic sounding, because I know a lot of indie bands who are singing about stuff that's depressing as hell but the music sounds celebratory, even flamboyant. Neutral Milk Hotel does that a lot. Not necessarily looking for something terminally depressing though, just something that's not upbeat. Something with a lot rockin' in it maybe.

No, because Indie Rock is a term as wide as Extreme Metal. I am sure we all can tell the difference between black metal and death metal. The same goes all the sub-genres of indie rock.

Im beginning to think "Indie" doesnt exist either. Of the stuff definantly tied down to Indie I have tried I dont see much in it. However I must have heard some I do like but didnt even know it was "Indie". So it seems its less of a genre than a name tag used as a crutch to attach to the idea of being independent. Which most musicians strive for.

Listening to Neutral Milk Hotel as we speak, haha... On Avery Island. But these guys are the only indie band I like.

Any recs from some really gritty, lo-fi indie rock? Stuff that's not too optimistic sounding, because I know a lot of indie bands who are singing about stuff that's depressing as hell but the music sounds celebratory, even flamboyant. Neutral Milk Hotel does that a lot. Not necessarily looking for something terminally depressing though, just something that's not upbeat. Something with a lot rockin' in it maybe.

But isnt rock upbeat ?

But isnt rock upbeat ?

No, it's not. Some rock is upbeat, but far from all. I'd say there's a difference between being bombastic in a forceful way and being upbeat. For example I wouldn't consider The Doors or Rage Against The Machine to be particularly upbeat, most of the time. Especially not in the way I'm talking about with indie, the kind of smooth brightness that to me invokes thoughts of vibrant colors and flowers. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not necessarily what I'm looking for. And what's to be said for all the blatantly downbeat, depressive rock bands? Surely they're not upbeat?

yea, your right "rock" is very broad. Most of whats called rock in recent years I dont think of as rock, its all too fused. For example I would never call Rage a rock band, they fused metal and rap but I havent heard everything they've done, dont care too either, because its not my cup of tea. I get thinking about the basic rock grooves and historically they were fairly up beat, pumped up, but you are right, not all of it has been.

Theres a controversial topic... "does rock still exist" ? I suppose it does but rarely in its true form.... which was what again ? maybe not a true form because it was about.... rock

Im tired, not sleepy.... tired, f'in tired :erk: ready to blow a circuit

I dunno about whether "rock" still exists. Deep question.

But I wouldn't say rock has been historically upbeat. Maybe the *original* "rock & roll" like Chuck Berry. But bands like The Doors, that's not new stuff. And a lot of what I would consider the definitive "rock" bands like The Rolling Stones, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin... some of their stuff is upbeat but some of their stuff is as dark as hell. But you could say those bands involve a fusion with blues. And that makes sense. But then what are the definitive rock bands?

SouthernTrendkill, you don't know what the fuck your talking about.

Bahahahahahaha. :p

Ad hominem attacks just show that you have nothing substantial to say against me.

So what set you off, was it the fact that "Yes The River Knows," "The End," and "Fistful of Steel" are oh so upbeat? Or was it my OPINION regarding indie music? If you don't consider Neutral Milk Hotel upbeat then so be it, but I trust you're aware of the fact that it's an opinion.

It is the fact that you are spewing random shit that you do not really understand, mainly on how rock can be "dark" or not. Neutral Milk Hotel is not flamboyant, just strange and eccentric. The indie tag only relates to sound as something different than mainstream rock. Interpol would be indie rock, because they are much different from a normal rock band. To go more into detail than you would call Interpol a post-punk band, which describes their specific sound. They are also very fucking dark. Compare this to another indie rock band like Spoon who are on the same level of popularity and are much more upbeat. So indie rock is not all flowers and bright colors. It is like saying all metal is extreme, when you can tell the difference between Iron Maiden and Slayer. You sir are mindless on rock music.

Hahahaha... sweet. Yeah. You didn't even read my post.

I never said indie wasn't dark. I didn't imply or suggest that indie wasn't dark. What I did was ask you for reccomendations on dark indie bands. If I'm asking you to reccomend them, and I expect any response, then clearly I believe there are dark indie bands. Did you not see the part of the post where I was asking for recs?

Mindless on rock music? Bahahahaha... Dude, I didn't insult indie at all. Closest I came was when I said that NMH was the only one I liked, which is true. They're far from the only one I'd consider extremely talented, but yes they're the only one so far that I listen to. Of course, I KNOW that there are others out there I'll love. Hence asking for recs.

I didn't say all indie was flowers. I said that I've heard a lot of flower bands, and that is certainly true. I've thought a lot of them were very impressive musically, but they weren't what I'm looking for at this time.

Also I am the one arguing that rock music can be dark, I'm not the one saying all rock is this or all indie is that.

peace

The one guy so far in this thread who was supporting your idea that more of us should listen to indie , and you jump on me.

It is the fact that you are spewing random shit that you do not really understand, mainly on how rock can be "dark" or not. Neutral Milk Hotel is not flamboyant, just strange and eccentric. The indie tag only relates to sound as something different than mainstream rock. Interpol would be indie rock, because they are much different from a normal rock band. To go more into detail than you would call Interpol a post-punk band, which describes their specific sound. They are also very fucking dark. Compare this to another indie rock band like Spoon who are on the same level of popularity and are much more upbeat. So indie rock is not all flowers and bright colors. It is like saying all metal is extreme, when you can tell the difference between Iron Maiden and Slayer. You sir are mindless on rock music.

You need to calm down :cool: it's really no biggie.