Controversial non-metal opinions

That album, along with Zeppelin III, is their best imo.

Well they were all different so its hard to pick really except the last one but even that had a few great songs. Myself I'd pull II for my most influencial. But I liked which ever one was new at the time quite a bit, except LZI that was old by the time I got it, I believe I bought that after I had III.

and for someone that had already worn the grooves out of II... III was a disappointment except for Immigrant Song. Took awhile to get used to the rest except Since I've Been Lovin You which is their best blues. Tangerine was perty. Hangman was folky but interesting. Cant even remember the rest... Hats of to Roy Harper ? Bron Y R Stomp ? I know I actually recut the grooves on Immigrant Song with a pin with a paper cone taped around it, so it wouldnt skip anymore...... lol sounded like crap... but didnt skip anymore. Cheap old turntable, my albums havent been out in 20 years.

As long as it's not In Through The Out Door (or Coda), it's all gold as far as I'm concerned. In Through The Out Door has some amazing material (like Carouselambra) but it just isn't my style.

Actually, How The West Was Won instantly became my favorite Led Zeppelin release when it came out. Definetly the one I've listened to most over the last couple of years. All their studio albums are perfection but HTWWW just seems to have have everything right going for it. Love that modern production.

Speaking of production... Jimmy Page is an underrated produced. His work on Zep's stuff is just phenomenal, it's a big prat of what makes it so amazing IMO. He should have produced for other bands also.

Page was good at arrangement and production in the studio, he had alot of stuff going on in some songs. Still primitive by todays standards I guess, but in those days he was on top of it, and off course they had the money and freedom to play. I just saw some movie he did the soundtrack for come to think of it, I cant remember the name of the movie either. You wouldnt have know it was him.

that might be it, they just had a run of Bronson on .... prolly Turner Classics, yeah I think your right.

Thats the Way, thanks for reminding me. What you dont realize is, we youngsters back then were drawn to LZ because they put out II and the entire thing KICKED ASS, it was hardrock in your face. We werent into folk or acoustic, if we were we'd a been listening to Neil Young or Bob Dylan, no we wanted to ROCK, not much different than todays young metal heads really. Like I said I adapted and grew to like those songs. Led Zeppelin is also largly responsible for my more diverse taste in music due to their ever changing and diverse music exploration. Still 75% of the time I only played Immigrant Song, Black Dog, RnR and Stairway from III & IV and then would spin all of II. Im still not crazy about much else of from IV... Levy, 4 Sticks, Going to Cali... eh, I've always been a rocker or headbanger 90% of the time. Needed something with an edge to it. Actually Uriah Heeps mellower heady stuff was probably more to my liking than LZ's was. Think Im going to play D & W now that you have me reminising. Wish I still had some black lights and tapestries.... lol!

ONE was their most blues but still a great album. II redefined hardrock and was the most radical form of it (I can think of) at the time. As I've said before they werent alone in Englands hardrock/premetal movement but they were the most bombastic. Hardrock was only blues based in that it primarily used penatonic scales but II and even some of "I" were loaded with riffs and single note progressions that had nothing to do with any traditional blues outside of use of the pentatonic or blues scale. Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love ? hardly a blues song or sound. Even their version of "Bring it on Home" starts out as blues but quickly leaves the nest and as far as that goes... in itself, by that very change up defines the difference between the blues and Led Zeppelin. I you have any doubt find an origional blues version of "Bring it on Home"... it just carries on like the beginning and end of LZ's version.

Then as far as "origional" as you move into III with the addition of English folk music they still wouldnt qualify as "origional" in that sence either. ANYHOW... in 1970 LZ II was an extremely origional sound and extremely pivitol album as far as hardrock and what would become metal. Its my favorite because of this and the fact that it was my first introduction to the band and to this kick ass way of "rockin". On that very day, excluding Hendrix, some Joplin and some Cream I completely walked away from all music that came before and never looked back for a long, long time. Except for the poppy types I dont think music ever looked back either. {still not to discredit all the other bands that were part of the same movement in those critical years but Zep was radical and beat everyone to the punch}

I think everyone needs to listen to something, anything with Sammy Hagar and lighten the fuck up.

hahahahahahahaha

STK - The Doors were called head music or perhaps acid rock, I cant even remember anymore.... they were alot of things, most of which I dont like but the last thing they did was rock. ROCK, get what I mean, makes you want to rock, bum dadum dadum dadum... ROCK.

Been a long time since I rock and rolled
dadum.... dadum dadum
been a long time since I did the stroll
dadum... dadum dadum

Nugent, ZZtop, Buddy Holly... ect. stuff that ROCKS, its a groove its a tempo, its a upbeat mood, gonna do some dancin, boogie, gonna party have some fun, raise a little hell, it gets up and goes, it doesnt drag along and moan, it doesnt cry in the coffee, it doesnt drag you down. Granted everything or rather every band got thrown is the catagory as "rock bands" but they all didnt rock, some did only on occasion, some ROCKED yet explored different moods, but when you use the term "I wanna rock", it means "I WANNA ROCK"

"went down to the road house and got myself some beerwors"
da din da din da din
doesnt imply ROCK, its too draggy, its too blaszay, its more like
"Im headed to the funeral parlor to pick myself a coffin"

not critisizing just trying to express the mood that is implied when someone says they want to ROCK.

Like Sammy said "Theres only one way to ROCK" and his purpose to that song was point in fact, nothing he made up, its just the way its always been. ROCK means get up on your feet and get down to it.

Blue Oyster Cult "On your feet or ON... YOUR .... KNEEEES !" another statement about ROCK

The rest of the heady stuff and even the ballads were part of the "rock scene"... but they didnt ROCK

This is an entertaining thread, and I have some opinions on the topic(s) but I'm a lil' too buzzed to post them at the moment.

Just want to say that razor's post above here, ROCKS in the only one way to ROCK kind of ROCKS.

PS - I only like the Doors when I'm drinking wine which is almost never.

Every Zep album is great (with the possible exception of ITTOD, which has good and bad aspects).

But in this day and age I've realized that their best album is Presence. It's by far their most unique album. It's their only album that doesn't have any soft songs on it. More than that, I don't think it has an effing genre. It's heavy and droning as hell, with a doomy or industrial atmosphere, but all the instrumentation is high end and punkish. But too rock/complicated for punk. The lyrics aren't typical Zep either, they're about cocaine and suffering. It's their most interesting album.

Anthrax - Sound of White Noise is a Grunge album

Dude, I have always believed this as well. It has the sound of something like a mix of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, but with slightly heavier and more metal guitars.

But I agree whole-heartedly, Sound of White Noise is more grunge than metal.

The Doors were the Nirvana of the 60's i.e. they were totally overrated and basically sucked all round.

'The Elder' was actually a great album, just not a great Kiss album.

Most guitarists in 80s glam/sleaze bands deserve to be guitar gods in their own right.