Death Metal

I like Incorrigible Bigotry far better, and the consensus is that IB is the superior Arghoslent release. GTTBR is definitely more of an acquired taste, and some of it definitely sucks. Rape Of A Slave owns though.

I don't think they lack musical focus so much as they occasionally lose sight of that focus and go off on small tangents. Solid band, but I have to agree that they're not all they're often cracked up to be.

I'm getting into Technical Death Metal, mainly stuff like Decapitated, Origin, and Cryptopsy, what else albums and bands would you recommend?

I don't really like any of those bands but here are some good technical death metal bands for starters:

Gorguts
Atheist
Quo Vadis
Pestilence
Gorod

I don't think they lack musical focus so much as they occasionally lose sight of that focus and go off on small tangents. Solid band, but I have to agree that they're not all they're often cracked up to be.

What he said.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first heard their music, the riffs were rather unusual in their melodicism.

Am I the only who doesn't like the NYDM scene AT ALL?
Morpheus Descends, Immolation(barring Unholy Cult), Baphomet, Suffocation, Incantation, Cryptopsy. (I used to like Incantation, but they didn't leave a lasting impression)
So excruciatingly bland, especially Morpheus Descends. Third generation -tape-quality death metal, ftw?? I'm clueless as to what people see in this band. :erk:

Am I the only who doesn't like the NYDM scene AT ALL?
Morpheus Descends, Immolation(barring Unholy Cult), Baphomet, Suffocation, Incantation, Cryptopsy. (I used to like Incantation, but they didn't leave a lasting impression)
So excruciatingly bland, especially Morpheus Descends. Third generation -tape-quality death metal, ftw?? I'm clueless as to what people see in this band. :erk:

Cryptopsy are Canadian.

And Baphomet are from Buffalo, but I guess that counts.

I kind of agree with you about the NYDM production, particularly with Suffocation and Incantation. The riffs are crushing, but require too much effort to try to discern changes in pitch, and any semblance of melody amidst the muddy fuzz. With that production it's hard to hear subtle changes in pitch when played on downtuned guitars playing low-range riffs

Suffocation are the only band who plays what is now known as the coherent "New York style" of death metal. Punishing mosh breakdowns with technical songwriting, complex rhythms and grind elements (optional but usual). The other early NY bands played this style SOMETIMES, but nowhere near as often as Suffo did and still do.

As for Morpheus Descends, they're tough to really get into. Nothing is really STRIKING about their sound, but it is obscure and fits their themes quite well. I really like some of the concepts and song titles they use and I think somehow that this aesthetic makes it easier for me to enjoy. "Submerged In Adipocere", "Corpse Under Glass", etc. Bad. Ass.

Is there any NYDM that sounds like Morbid Angel or Deicide, or at least similar? Cannibal Corpse is definitely my favorite NYDM band.