Death Metal

"brutal death metal songwriting approach" = no

I do not think they mean what people are going to think. Death Metal is already heavy and brutal because it's death metal and would imagine all death metal bands think they are heavy,brutal, and extreme writing what they feel is more extreme than other music forms and it's opinion. I consider death metal all brutal and the only reason see using the term is to seperate quality death metal from low quality. I think death metal and so called US brutal death metal bands or brutal death metal bands should be distinguished.

Bloodbath,kaamos,nominon,etc.. while being 'death metal' sound more heavy brutal and extreme musically to me than brutal death metal. I have the right and my own opinion and what heavy guitar tone is,etc.. and what's extreme,brutal,dark,etc...

I would like to see a death metal use a term like 'brutal' because it means they are not involved with the scene to know that people are disquishing brutality,etc.. when it comes to death metal and there are people who think something is not brutal when it is because they have their own idea on different level of brutality and it's beyond ridiculous. I've only come here where people think death metal bands are not brutal because of some death metal band that they or some people feel is more brutal than some death metal band that is brutal who is more brutal than some other brutal band,etc.. LOL

Speaking of Kaamos, I listened to Lucifer Rising for the first time last night. It was pretty intense, but far from brutal death metal (though they did briefly use a slam riff in one song). Overall the album was a pleasure to listen to, though the drumming could have been varied a little more. Just a little more groove would have balanced things right.

I'm (coincidentally) listening to it right now. Good CD. Vocals are sometimes weak but I can deal with it.

Death Delirium said:
I think death metal and so called US brutal death metal bands or brutal death metal bands should be distinguished.

They already are. They're called brutal death metal. Get the fuck over it!

Speaking of Kaamos, I listened to Lucifer Rising for the first time last night. It was pretty intense, but far from brutal death metal (though they did briefly use a slam riff in one song). Overall the album was a pleasure to listen to, though the drumming could have been varied a little more. Just a little more groove would have balanced things right.

I like groove in death metal just not always and people need to balance things out regardless what their musical intent is. I think the drummer on lucifer rising has great tone and is dead on always. Lucifer Rising also is one of the best sounding death metal cd i've heard and the guitar tone sound and crunch is stunning and it's just a great sounding album. If a brutal death metal band had drum sound and cruncy well recorded guitars like that I might actually be more open minded.

It's usually the over emphasis on groove, "burpy" vocals, and clicky drums that bother me in brutal death metal. Of course not all of them contain the above aesthetics but those are the main ones that particularly annoy me.

He means more open-minded to the possibility that there might be some good 'brutal' death metal.

Unfortunately their better material tended to be written by Swano.

I think Swano and Blakkheim are on par. My favorite songs are Death Delirium and Year of The Cadaver Race which are written by Blakkheim, he has also written songs like cancer of the soul,outnumbering the day,draped in disease,etc.. and him and swano wrote equally on all their material. Swano is in generally an incredible music it's just people make him out to be the backbone in Bloodbath where they think other musicians in the band need him when they actually do not. Blakkheim has been playing guitar probably equally aslong and if having to could write the entire album alone and would not have any problem coming up with material and always is writting. Each band member wrote a song for the e.p so it's going to be cool hearing what Mikael Åkerfeldt's concept on real death metal is and he never wrote guitar in the band prior.

Agreed.

Suffocation is rather repetitive, though I do enjoy Effigy of the Forgotten among my selective brutal death tastes. I still don't see why Pierced From Within is rated so highly, though.

x3...Incantation blows Suffocation out of the proverbial water.

IMO, Suffocation is GREAT up through Pierced, and thereafter the material is just good. I think people with an elitist attitude tend to look down on Suffocation because Suffocation started the brutal death metal movement. I like Suffocation, and I like a lot of brutal death. I'm not an elitist, and I don't claim to be one just to gain credibility or respect. I like what I like, that's it. It's really a matter of opinion, though a lot of people agree on Suffocation's greatness and influence.

I don't have anything against Suffocation for the bands that they influenced. I just think that they are substantially overrated. It has nothing to do with elitism, but rather a rigidly specific conception of what it means to create 'good' Death Metal.

Suffocation's songs are well written, and there are some great musicians in the band. How "good" their style of death metal is, however, is debatable. I guess you can argue that it's stale and mechanical in comparison to old school death metal. But the fact that they were the innovators of this style has something to be said for it.

I guess you can argue that it's stale and mechanical in comparison to old school death metal.

I agree which seems like a big influence on brutal death metal because it's really sterile and mids sound completly cut which is why the guitars are not upfront. I can't listen to mechnical stale music because it just sounds like the musicians can not connect riffs or play properly because the music does not flow right atleast to my ears and do not think the musicians know proper and basic transitions. I don't see as much as a problem with Suffocation like with the bands they actually influence though. I do think suffocation are much better than the musicians they influenced.