Death Metal

Going back to the Suffocation vs. Incantation/Immolation argument....

I listened to Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced From Within again, and with a more developed ear (due to my recent death metal binge) I can yield a more affinitive assessment of the production. It's fine; just enough to discern changes in pitch but still crushing as fuck. I also picked out tons of subtle melodies I hadn't noticed before (especially on Pierced...).

Onward to Golgotha still needs a few more listens from me, but it's going to have grow on me astronomically if it's to compete with my new regard for Suffocation, whom I now deem as New York's finest.

Going back to the Suffocation vs. Incantation/Immolation argument....

I listened to Effigy of the Forgotten and Pierced From Within again, and with a more developed ear (due to my recent death metal binge) I can yield a more affinitive assessment of the production. It's fine; just enough to discern changes in pitch but still crushing as fuck. I also picked out tons of subtle melodies I hadn't noticed before (especially on Pierced...).

Onward to Golgotha still needs a few more listens from me, but it's going to have grow on me astronomically if it's to compete with my new regard for Suffocation, whom I now deem as New York's finest.

It seems they approach dm in two different ways. Golgotha is very sinister and deliberate while Pierced and Effigy are crushing and techy. Ultimately personal stylistic preference will determine which band you favor. I really like those subtle melodies on Pierced btw.

Agreed also, and this was explicated earlier by me in the thread; they are doing two different kinds of death metal which are hard to compare. In the end it of course comes down to personal differences. Personally, I'd definitely say Suffo have had a bigger impact on me and remain one of my favorite old-school metal acts.

Sentenced-north from here and shadows of the past have been reissued again as double disks from Century Media with bonus material. SoTP has the 'When Death Join Us' demo from 90 and 'Rotting Ways to Misery' demo from 91 on the second disk and everything has been remastered. North From Here's bonus disk includes the 'Journey to Pohjola' demo from 92 which is some of the best older sentenced material and The Trooper e.p and a demo from 1994 which includes the songs Glow of 1000 Suns,Amok Runs.

I prefere North From Here, but enjoy both. SOTF and North From Here while being death metal are still very different so it's hard to really compare. Shadows Of The Past is more simple primitive heavy sludgy and gloomy death metal with lower vocals where North From Here is faster being much more complex/intricate with higher raspy vocals and more expirimentation with guitar harmonizing melody and even some cleaner guitar. Melody is more rooted in the actual rythmn guitars where other melodic death metal bands use melody with lead guitars layering it over the rythmn. I consider North From Here one of the most early technical death metal albums is one of those albums that is borderlining death and black metal. North From Here is original something new and pushing the genre forward and is the first album where the band is finding their skills creating original music.

I never could get into either of those albums... I think it's time for another death metal binge though. Seeing Master on Monday makes me want more DM!

I've got North From Here and I'd say that it's probably one of the best melodic death metal albums I've heard, and if Shadows is proper old school death metal, then I'm sure I'll enjoy it. swizzlenuts you are a lucky bastard.

North from Here is excellent. It took me some time to get accustomed to the guitar tone on the album and it seemed rather awkward and disjointed at first, but it flows really well.

The first Sentenced album is great. North From Here is not bad either but I like the more traditional approach on Shadows of the Past.

It seems they approach dm in two different ways. Golgotha is very sinister and deliberate while Pierced and Effigy are crushing and techy. Ultimately personal stylistic preference will determine which band you favor. I really like those subtle melodies on Pierced btw.

That's not to say that Suffocation doesn't have any sense of darkness in their music. It's there, but just not as blatant.

I've never listened to Sentenced. :kickass:

BTW, Metal Mind is doing the Brutality reissues (who else? :p).

Sentenced are okay.

Any fans of Vesania? For ones, who don't know - it's a side project of Behemoth's bassist - Orion. He plays guitars and does vocals there. The music is pretty alike, but I like his vocals much more than Nergal's.