Death Metal

For those who don't have a record player:
Nocturnal Graves - Satan's Cross has been released on CD by NWN! This album was one of my favorites from last year. Nocturnal Graves play a thrashing style of death metal ala Altars era Morbid Angel. If you haven't heard it yet, pick it up!

It's pretty solid. I recommend Epic, Shadows and Dust, and In the Arms of Devastation.

I have to agree, though I personally think that all of Kataklysm's Iacano material is a bit better. There's not an album of theirs with Mauricio on it that I don't like, yet on the other hand Sylvain gets on my nerves rather quickly.

Just got Kataklysm's Mystical Gate of Reincarnation/Sorcery. Really good dm. Also helps that their vocalist is fucking insane.

Honestly, I think Sylvain recorded some of the best vocals in death metal on those early Kataklysm records. Of course, musically I liked them better then. Their records with Maurizio are listenable, but most of it never really struck me as above average.

Maybe generic is the wrong word, but every riff feels like I've heard it a million times before. The production is slick and uninteresting. The vocals are shitty. The songs are too long. There's a lack of those kickass thrashing riffs.

i'm not sure which thread to post this in so i posted it in both this and the brutal death thread, but recently i remembered impaled did a split sorta album with haemorrhage, so i figured i'd check them out and i really liked what i heard, i downloaded the 2 most recent ones which have an impaled sort of feeling, i checked metal archives and it said they were goregrind, is that just for their older stuff or would other goregrind bands sound like this?

I don't see how you could actively dislike Scrambled Defuncts. It's not like you can discover them on purpose and dislike them. They're one of those bands that are just so damned underground that you'd only be able to really dislike if someone forced you to listen to them.