Death Metal

Me too. I think palm muting acually makes music heavy.
Well yes, that's the point. It cuts out most of the high end, for one thing. And it adds some crunch. Thus making it heavier.

A low powerchord played muted on a downtuned guitar is as heavy as fuck.
Well I should hope so.
The amplifier you use makes a big difference, though.

Pretty much all death metal bands (even most other metal bands) use triggered double kick. If not, there's almost no way they could keep the steady double bass going in perfect time.

Pretty much all death metal bands (even most other metal bands) use triggered double kick. If not, there's almost no way they could keep the steady double bass going in perfect time.

To be honest, almost all studio drumming is heavily doctored to make it perfectly in time.

Well, they do just by virtue of making every hit easier and more precise by lowering the amount of force the drummer has to expend on the bass drum pedal. This will pretty much always lead to the drummer keeping time better.

Well, they do just by virtue of making every hit easier and more precise by lowering the amount of force the drummer has to expend on the bass drum pedal. This will pretty much always lead to the drummer keeping time better.

That's true, but I just thought I should point that out since there seems to be a lot of confusion about triggers being some kind of magical invention that will fix crappy technique when all it does is convert every drum hit into a digital sound to even out the tone. But yeah, you can turn up the sensitivity all the way and REALLY minimize the force required by the drummer.

Funny story about that though. A guy I knew was helping do sound at a fest once, and he was helping Gorgasm set up. After the triggers were set up, he claims he BLEW on one of the kicks (why he'd do that in the first place is beyond me) and that it was enough the set off the triggers since the sensitivity was so high. Now THAT'S cheating!

Yeah, that's gay shit.

Really, the only people who think that they are magic and make everything immediately great are the same ignorant idiots who think just because a band uses ProTools, they just recorded into it and it sounded godly just because it is "ProTools, duh!" It requires experience and talent to use both triggers and mastering software correctly.

Are you talking about older bands as well? I always thought triggers were more of a modern thing.

Yeah, that's gay shit.

Really, the only people who think that they are magic and make everything immediately great are the same ignorant idiots who think just because a band uses ProTools, they just recorded into it and it sounded godly just because it is "ProTools, duh!" It requires experience and talent to use both triggers and mastering software correctly.

Besides which, if it sounds good I really don't care how hard it was to do.

No, I said they sounded like Pestilence

They sound very reminiscent of them to me. I can hear definite influences but there's no other thrash/death band I could really compare them to

Jesus fucking Christ you guys. Obscura is the band, Obscura is the album. :zombie: For the record, I've never heard the band anyway.

Yoda, this guy said they sound like Pestilence. You asked if he was talking about the Gorguts album, which he wasn't, which is why I said Obscura sounds nothing like Pestilence (mainly because there is zero thrash in the Gorguts album).

Damn that was a ridiculous mix up.

Are you talking about older bands as well? I always thought triggers were more of a modern thing.

Some bands are much more subtle in applying them compared to how obvious it is on, say, some of Krisiun's albums, so I can't personally tell all of the time. But yeah, I'm sure some recordings from 15+ years ago can be picked out that didn't use them. The Crown's "Crowned in Terror" is a good example of a quality modern drum sound that isn't triggered. Some Deeds of Flesh albums sound fairly natural drum-wise as well, so I've wondered about them too.

How can you tell if a drum is triggered or not just by listening? Should I listen to 'The Apostasy' and then listen to something like 'Altars of Madness' to compare?

I dunno how you can tell...I guess if they sound really, really even they're probably triggered, but what if the drummer's just a badass?