Death Metal

How can you tell if a drum is triggered or not just by listening? Should I listen to 'The Apostasy' and then listen to something like 'Altars of Madness' to compare?

Well, to me it's really only blatantly obvious when there's a lot of double kick in that very "clicky" digital tone (as in plenty of modern death metal), and even then it's not necessarily certain. But I couldn't usually pick out when other parts of the kit are triggered (like Hellhammer has been known to do), or if it was perhaps another type of music. People I know with more of a background in recording and engineering could probably instantly pick out subtleties about those kind of things.

I don't know if anyone else saw the recent update from Blood Harvest but there's tons of great news in there, namely the vinyl release of the new Necrovation album. However, the one part that got me really excited was:

"I got a CDR with the upcoming TRIBULATION album, "The Horror", and it completely destroys everything the band has recorded before."

I can't wait to hear that release, and I may be reading too much in the statement, but it seems like the band decided to go with Blood Harvest for the release of the album which is a smart move in my opinion.

Repugnant are definitely better than Necrovation, I reckon. That in no way discredits the awesomeness of Breed Deadness Blood; Epitome of Darkness is fucking hard to top in terms of contemporary OSDM.

I've said this before but I need to reiterate the fact that Darkness Eternal fucking rules. Chasm-esque Black/Death Metal from a former member of the aforementioned cult. Satanchrist and Misanthropic Annihilation come with my highest of recommendations!

Repugnant are definitely better than Necrovation, I reckon. That in no way discredits the awesomeness of Breed Deadness Blood; Epitome of Darkness is fucking hard to top in terms of contemporary OSDM.

I've said this before but I need to reiterate the fact that Darkness Eternal fucking rules. Chasm-esque Black/Death Metal from a former member of the aforementioned cult. Satanchrist and Misanthropic Annihilation come with my highest of recommendations!

Everything about the Repugnant album is just perfect, the riffs, their ability to write amazing songs, the atmosphere, and the authenticity of this album sounding like it was recorded in the early 90's is what makes the repugnant album very fucking hard to top
That being said, the Necrovation did everything right in making a great contemporary OSDM album, and it's fantastic, very enjoyable release from them, hopefully they'll stick around and not split up like Repugnant.

Also... Darkness Eternal fucking rules, i own Misanthropic Annihilation and it's excellent. How does his previous albums hold up to Misanthropic Annihilation? I just may check them out since you mentioned them.

Favorite moments on the Necrovation? A few stand out to me:

OMINOUS PRESENCE, BREED DEADNESS BLOOD. OMINOUS. PRESENCE. BREED DEADNESS BLAAAHD!

RULES
OF DEATH
APPLY
INTHEECLIPSE...OF LIIIIIIFE!

and

FROM BLAHD STAINED BLACK AWLTAR...DIVINITY OBSKYOOAWR!!

Speaking of excellent death metal, you guys need to check out Nocturnal Graves - Satan's Cross

Finally a band that knows how to make an awesome opening track,Aggressive Exterminator blows me away.. Killer release, people go check this album out!

I've been listening to Misanthropic Annihilation quite a bit since you recommended it last time, possibly in this thread. Bloody good stuff. Will have to check out Satanchrist.

I also might think that I like Necrovation a bit better than Repugnant. But that might be because I listened to the Repugnant album so much that I got sick of it (I sometimes tend to do overplay albums and then get sick of them). I'm listening to the new Dead Congregation CD again right now. I found that it took a couple of listens just concentrating on the music (ie not at work or when doing something else that requires concentration) to completely appreciate it. A lot of the riffs and arrangements are quite complex (though not in the "technical" sense).

I agree, and I find the vocals a little too low in the mix, I liked them better on their first EP (which has a more brutal death style sound also).