Death Metal

Do you mean that Necrophagist's Epitaph is a fine example of sounding like shit? I don't like technical death metal much outside of a few exceptions, but Epitaph is excellent IMO. Why are there so many people disliking that album?

He's quite a confused little puppy.

He has seen everyone bashing "lifeless, robotic, overly technical death metal" and even though he apparently liked it, he let the people on this board choose what he says he likes.

I assume that's the case anyway, since he's done shit like that since he started here.

I think they just end up being all show and no gain. Theres plenty of nice technical stuff like Sympathy, Gorod, Gory Blister, Hieronymous Bosch, and Blastfame.

Eh, I'm not a fan of Portal. They play with a completely abstract style that really doesn't get my attention.

Edit: Hmmm... Carnophage's debut seems interesting. Heres a few samples. It was released last year.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbo-RhDjEeA&feature=related[/ame]

Technical Death Metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt really compare Portal to other technical death metal bands because they sound so much different. Portal is more so a wall of sound, not that this is a bad thing. Havent heard the new one yet though

I wouldnt really compare Portal to other technical death metal bands because they sound so much different. Portal is more so a wall of sound, not that this is a bad thing. Havent heard the new one yet though

Most tech death is usually a wall of guitar masturbating sound. Theres sometimes some moments but really its just guitar masturbation. Unless its a band that knows how to do it right such as Gorod or Aeon of Horus for example.

Wall of sound is more of a production effect than constant guitar slaughter.

A lot of modern tech death is useless guitar wankery, but when its done good I would hardly call it "just guitar masturbation".

It seems that the out of line technical metal bands seem to wear off or sound like shit. I use to enjoy them but now i find them annoying. Bands like Origin, Necrophagist (Epitaph), Spawn of Possession, and Obscura are fine examples.

Yeah, I agree with you on this. I also like the fact that you singled out Epitaph. I assume this is because Onset of Putrefaction still holds interest for you. I think it is much better than Epitaph.

I think they just end up being all show and no gain. Theres plenty of nice technical stuff like Sympathy, Gorod, Gory Blister, Hieronymous Bosch, and Blastfame.

Totally. Great list of bands, though I have not been able to find Blastfame, and never heard of Hieronymous Bosch (I will look into them). Along these lines, I also highly recommend Sceptic (Pol).

Other bands that might be of interest:

Illogicist
In Vain - Wounds
Neglected Fields
Stargazer
Theory in Practice

and maybe

Anata
Trauma (Pol)

Yeah, I agree with you on this. I also like the fact that you singled out Epitaph. I assume this is because Onset of Putrefaction still holds interest for you. I think it is much better than Epitaph.

Totally. Great list of bands, though I have not been able to find Blastfame, and never heard of Hieronymous Bosch (I will look into them). Along these lines, I also highly recommend Sceptic (Pol).

Other bands that might be of interest:

Illogicist
In Vain - Wounds
Neglected Fields
Stargazer
Theory in Practice

and maybe

Anata
Trauma (Pol)

Yea, btw nice list of bands. haven't heard of Illogicist, In Vain, or Neglected Fields so I'll check those out.