Death Metal

Never listened to Hate's studio work, but their live show was one of the most painfully unremarkable things I've ever seen. Also, they can fuck themselves for using Dead Can Dance as their intro music.

Edit: Has there been a genuinely great death metal album released this year? I haven't been able to buy anything, so I haven't heard shit. I'm thinking new Ignivomous might be worth something down the road, but I haven't heard anything about a Graves of the Archangels-caliber album coming out.

that Sorcery sample wasnt too bad. Not sure it's purchase material though.
Seems a little boring.

something about all Suffocation that pulls me in. Must be the riffs and the catchyness.

Also, Im still in love with the newest Nile.

Never listened to Hate's studio work, but their live show was one of the most painfully unremarkable things I've ever seen. Also, they can fuck themselves for using Dead Can Dance as their intro music.

Edit: Has there been a genuinely great death metal album released this year? I haven't been able to buy anything, so I haven't heard shit. I'm thinking new Ignivomous might be worth something down the road, but I haven't heard anything about a Graves of the Archangels-caliber album coming out.

I doubt it. I'm a big fan of Gorephilia's "Embodiment of Death" though.

I think Graves of the Archangels is a bit of an excessive barometer for "genuinely great" death metal albums. Degial's Death's Striking Wings has proven rewarding on a short amount of listens, and while I'm still barely acquainted with it at this point, Weapon's Embers and Revelations sees the band continue to evolve. I also have Tzun Tzu's debut full-length, but I have not given it much time yet. I doubt it would reach the "genuinely great" plateau, but I imagine it's more than worth hearing. I need to listen to Ignivomous' more, but on the few listens that I gave it, I felt Death Transmutation was better. I like that album more than most though, it seems. Inverloch also deserves a mention for death/doom.

Try these.

My personal 2 favourites so far;

Resurgency - False Enlightenment
Obscure Infinity - Putrefying Illusions

Other quality releases;

Horrendous - The Chills
Gorephilia - Embodiment of Death
Ataraxy - Revelations of the Ethereal
Antropomorphia - Evangelivm Nekromantia
Binah - Hallucinating in Resurrecture
Decomposed - Decomposed
Maveth - Coils of the Black Earth

There are plenty more, but this is a good start.

Edit: Yeah, the Inverloch release was great death/doom - can't wait for a full length.