Death Metal

yea you are. early Amorphis > you.

I have yet to hear FFTTF, but I will soon. I think Blessed Are The Sick is their best album.

Blessed Are The Sick is indeed a killer album, but personally, I would either choose 'Covenant' or 'Altar...' over that album. FFTTF is a really good slab of modern Death Metal, its in the same vein I guess as Covenant. So the thrash influences are almost gone. But I think FFTTF is one of Morbid Angel's most overlooked album..

Well, since I have all Amorphis's album it's hard to get excited over their first one after hearing their other stuff. Also, it's more simplistic Death Metal than I normally like. I want my Death Metal to be technical & chop full of demanding passages & leads. Bass solos are a big plus in Death Metal as well, although they're not vey popular.

I like the Formulas-Gateways era of Morbid Angel the best. I never liked Domination very much. Blessed is a decent Thrash/Death album, but I will go no furthur than simply calling it decent... Alters & Covenant are best for their early stuff, although there is still some Thrashy stuff left over on Covenant.

I've long worshipped at the throne of Assuck. I actually prefer Misery Index to Anticapital/Blindspot solely because of the beefier and even warmer tones present on the former, but both are mandatory.

Also, what's the general consensus on Vital Remains? They've been around for ages, I know, but I only today picked up their latest, Icons of Evil. Certainly an unrelenting band, I'm impressed thus far, this being my initial exposure: there're plenty of blasting, ultra-violence (everybody please note the Death Angel allusion) passages, but also a substantial melodic presence via a strong Morbid Angel influence, which lends the Riffs (with a capital R) that ever-important memorability/hummability factor. The songs are structured more cyclically/traditionally than the standard "brutal" fare seen bandied about at the beginning of the decade (think Unique Leader and that ilk), although they do retain a degree of linearity typical of much of the death metal of the current day. Most surprising, and pleasantly so, is Benton's vocal performance: I haven't heard him sound this guttural and visceral and genuinely pissed of since the first Deicide record. It's great, and probably the only thing that I really wanted for Christmas. I've heard Dechristianize and some of their earlier works are even better, so what's the word?

Listening to this album today got me to thinking about just how much death metal has evolved throughout it's twenty-odd years existence. Though Morbid Angel's early works were extraordinarily ahead of their time, particularly in retrospect, the likes of Deicide, Obituary, pre-Human Death and the Stockholm bands were deceptively simple. Entombed, Dismember, and Unleashed, for example, all Swedes, took a great deal of influence from hardcore, especially the d-beating, Scandinavian strand: the rhythms they employed were lifted straight from Anti-Cimex and Discharge, tweaked here and there for added weight and metalosity (my word, trademarked me, 2007). No wonder they were possessed of such sheer, unbridled energy. Even the American bands did it (think Obituary, Autopsy, Scream Bloody Gore) and I don't think it was until Suffocation released Effigy of the Forgotten in '91 that death metal really started to become blazingly and flatteningly technical. Now, death metal is easily one of the single most complex forms of music being played anywhere in the world; the Vital Remains album I just talked about, not to mention the recent work of bands like Nile and even Cannibal Corpse, is prime evidence.

I ramble. Idea for a new thread.

Yes, I love Assuck's brand of death-grind. You probably know the band Misery Index. How do you feel about them?

I liked some songs off Dechristianized but Icons of Evil sounded bland in comparison.

Has anyone else here had trouble uploading the reissue for Asphyx's The Rack? They just had to paint the bottom of the CD black...

Means my computer can't rip the tracks onto iTunes. They did the same thing with Dark Space I but I managed to get the tracks off after a couple hours. The Rack however gets spit out of my CD drive after it acts confused.

Well my MacBook Pro doesn't like it. I'll have to see if my parents' computer can do it, then put the tracks on a thumb drive to transfer. Still annoying though.

@ Ozzman: I think it's more of a hardware issue than a software issue, for me at least.

r.gif

Pagan death metal from Russia.

This album is rather interesting.. got my copy of this in the mail today. you don't see very many death metal bands from that part of the world, although i'm sure there are plenty.. none that are noticeable though..

Malign, I remember having sent you a Lucifer's Hammer album The Mists of Time. How did you like it?

I'm asking because I finally happened to find someone with their second album Ghosts of Fall and if you're interested I can work my upload magic.