Disappointing albums of 2013

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
feel free to list out albums you looked forward to and then got and thought sucked....

1. Witchcross - "Axe to Grind" - did not like the new singer and the songs were not catchy at all. real bummed about this one.

2. Mad Max - "Interceptor" - Mad Max have gone from traditional metal to hard rock in the past 30 years or so. the last one had more of a current Bon Jovi vibe and it was actually good. This new one was uninspired...no real stand out tracks. bummer...always a solid band.

3. Metal Church - "Generation Nothing" - with all the buzz about the new album and a return to form...it basically seemed like they forced the singer to sing like David Wayne and tried to redo that vibe which just seemed forced.

4. Gama Bomb - "Terror Tapes" - i really like this band but there is nothing that stands out with this Cd and the songs all basically sound like one long song.

5. Sacred Oath - "Fallen" - plain and simple...just a boring album from start to finish. very uninspired.

this year for me was the worst with new albums. Very few were very good. Lot's of let downs or albums where they were just not memorable.

In Solitude - Sister - I know everyone is freakin' out about this one both negatively and positively. I really tried to get into this album but I could not. It sounds like almost a completely different band especially compared to their debut. There was an early groggy morning drive when I thought it was decent but ever since I put it on and can not get into it.

Circle II Circle - Seasons Will Fall

This one has gotten great reviews.
Only one stand out track on the whole thing.
I am a big Zak fanboy but this was lame.

In Solitude - Sister - I know everyone is freakin' out about this one both negatively and positively. I really tried to get into this album but I could not. It sounds like almost a completely different band especially compared to their debut. There was an early groggy morning drive when I thought it was decent but ever since I put it on and can not get into it.

it is funny how so many people think they have to like this or you just don't get it. I have heard enough samples to know I don't need this one. Maybe down the line if I see it used and cheap I will check it out but right now there is a lot more I need in my collection that this. Too bad because I loved the first one and thought the second one was very very lackluster.

I heard two songs off the new IN SOLITUDE.
Both sounded like bad DANZIG B-Sides.

I don't agree with Bob on much, but I agree that this is one of those releases where for some reason people felt they had to like it. I don't understand why though.

I heard two songs off the new IN SOLITUDE.
Both sounded like bad DANZIG B-Sides.

I don't agree with Bob on much, but I agree that this is one of those releases where for some reason people felt they had to like it. I don't understand why though.

I think people will flock to the weird bands that are doing something different to get that "cred". Sure some may actually like it but most seem to just jump on that bandwagon to be a part of a small group who likes to think their taste is a tad above everyone else's and they get it. It seems to be working for In Solitude though. Good for them, not me.

I haven't heard a lot of albums that I hated, but here's some that fell below expectations:

Warlord - The Holy Empire
Moss - Horrible Nights
Manilla Road - Mysterium
Thou Art Lord - Regal Pulse of Lucifer
The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults
Age of Taurus - Desperate Souls
Deceptor - Chains of Delusion
I haven't been able to get into Witches Mark either. For every moment that I really like, there's one that I'm not into. Same with Deceptor

There's a lot of albums that I like but don't find myself listening to very much since they've come out, like Procession, Magic Circle, Magister Templi and Voltax.

Oh yeah there's a new Avantasia album that I got but I haven't mentioned it on any lists because up until now I've been too embarrassed to admit that I have it. The singing on it just fuckin wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicked and the fast songs are mon fromage préféré but the ballads are the worst things I've heard this year

I liked the In Solitude, but I completely understand why anyone wouldn't. Completely change of sound outside of one or two tracks.

For all of you though that love early In Solitude, I highly recommend picking up the new Noctum. Great stuff done in that style.

I have the Avantasia disc...three really strong tracks and a few generic ones and a few duds. Didn't make the list because the strong tracks are damn good.

I was also let down by the new Voltax album. I like a few songs off it but the rest is very very forgettable. The production isn't as good as the last one. They tried to do something a tad different that didn't work for me.

I'll have to think a bit, but I just got the new Artillery and that one I'm HIGHLY disappointed in. Not terrible necessarily but completely forgettable and I love the rest of their albums.

The new Coven 13 I thought was really weak. I know a number of you don't like their first album, but I love it. This one just seems really weak.

Also the new Satyricon. This was probably my most anticipated album of the year as they're my favorite black metal band at the moment, but it just didn't grab me like all the others.

Jason:
Better than Playground, yeah. But I thought that this album was the most average, middling MR album in the history of the band. The only song I really really like is "The Fountain". Otherwise it was kind of a homogenous slog to me

Simon:
Age of Taurus just didn't quite work for me. Massive guitar tone, but the vocals gave me the zees and there was only one or two sons where I really enjoyed the riffs

Bob:
"Where Block Hands Freeze" "Invoke the Machine" and "Dweller in a Dream" are my regular guilty jams. I also liked the songs with Biff Byford singing.

In regards to new Voltax, yeah I'd agree on the produciton. Seemed like they were trying to bring out some 70's vibes and some jammy dual-guitar leads which I found myself enjoying. I do find myself most drawn to the faster, meaner songs though. Their vocals rule.

I haven't heard the whole In Solitude disk but the two tracks I heard sounded like some college-rock, facebook-friendly Ghost/The Devil's Blood shit. I didn't really get much out of Caladan Brood either.