Do your parents like SymX? (to all the teens)

I listened to (3/4) of all of them, like I said talentless garbage in the realms of creativity, the Sher vocal effects as well, good grief... adding effects = A.talent ? B.gimmick ? C. desperation in search of creativity ? D. both B & C (my feelings are the same for "growls")

I also dont see how anyone could say the two songs Zach mentioned are not metal, even if they use/fuse who knows what other sounds they are still also using alot of metal, one thing history has proven is that not all metal has to be good or even stick to any given format as it "grows" and warps... or is it dwarfs

{trying to be funny and serious at the same time, because this does seem to take some sense of humor}

This has all made me so depressed so lets listen to some awesome tasteful metal that this oldman enjoys shall we
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d58JYoBaFro&feature=related[/ame]

Now is this because "death" growls are part of human emotions and historically common means of communicating all these emotion filled moments in life ?

Thinking of it in that case, ya it is. its for those times you are furious, or depressed beyond what these idiotic emo kids and there "core" can even understand. it is an extreme sound for your most extreme emotions. allow me to attempt to convert you....
more mainstreamy doom, w/ clean mixed in

awsome melodic doom with a folkish touch
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kvCTu84u6c&feature=PlayList&p=BBE9EE2776A1BF70&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=10[/ame]
and if you dont like this daylight dies even a little there's no hope for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to that song that you mentioned. Sounds like screemo stuff.... thin cookie voice.

Chuck Schuldiner is "thin cookie voice"?

You know what? Just say "this isn't my cup of tea" and shut the fuck up. :lol:

I'd expect this kind of shit from a mainstream pop forum, not from a UM member. :err:

Chuck Schuldiner is "thin cookie voice"?

You know what? Just say "this isn't my cup of tea" and shut the fuck up. :lol:

I'd expect this kind of shit from a mainstream pop forum, not from a UM member. :err:

I dare you to listen to the first 2 songs (that's as far as I could tolerate) and tell me the screaming that they're doing there doesn't sound like the Death guy's voice song that was given as example. I dare you. It sounds the same, maybe just a bit of tone difference but it's basically the same.

Also I didn't mean to diss. I'm just listening to the song and telling you what I think. His voice certainly doesn't sound like the manly heavy cookie stuff like Cannibal Corpse.

dissing chuck is blasphemy.

I didn't. That's what I thought it sounded like lol.

Thinking of it in that case, ya it is. its for those times you are furious, or depressed beyond what these idiotic emo kids and there "core" can even understand. it is an extreme sound for your most extreme emotions. allow me to attempt to convert you....

Good grief your kidding me,part of human emotion and means of communitcation ? Since when ? Since it became a fad ? THe SX song I posted shows Russell going through most of the emotions using expression and tonality both clear and harsh without the hoopla. I lasted clear till the "vocal" started in all those songs and musically they were nothing I hadnt already heard. They all do sound the same, its the same old shit. A better question would be if theres any hope for metal, this death growl stuff may very well be the biggest sellout that ever happened to metal far worse than that of the commercialized pop metal of the 80's. Its all fad and the various songs Canto has posted where its bled into every style of music proves it. Even if it didnt bleed elsewhere, its in nearly every new metal band and there is thousands of them all doing the same "vocal" crap. The volumn of new posts over the years started in the musicians discussion section of UM regarding "how do I do death growls" is more proof that its all fad as well as the lack of creative talent I've been talking about.

You haven't heard Agalloch then, I assume...

I used to be one of you naysayers. It's just a different instrument, another way to shine. Some people won't listen to stuff with keyboards. Some people won't listen to stuff with DM vox. No issue to me. But what I do have an issue with is the open handed dismissal of it as a valid musical avenue.

It is not destroying metal. It is not the end of the world. It's just something you (collectively, not singling any out) don't want to listen to. So don't. :)

I dont listen to it other than brief instances of trying new bands. There is "nothing to hear there" as in heard it before, done and over and over.

Agalloch was one of the first bands I checked into when I first came here due to talk from you guys, I lasted about 20 seconds into the vocals.

I mentioned its instrument equivelent in another post and I do believe on account of the statis quo fad and sameness of the whole thing it is stiffling the creative talent of music.

I mentioned its instrument equivelent in another post and I do believe on account of the statis quo fad and sameness of the whole thing it is stiffling the creative talent of music.

oh come on, any more than falsetto vox, blatantly ripped classical counterpoint and pentatonic is? Distortion's ruining the beauty of guitar. Any and all of these claims are in a word, unsupportable.:guh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbZpPz4gqJ8

I dare you to listen to the first 2 songs (that's as far as I could tolerate) and tell me the screaming that they're doing there doesn't sound like the Death guy's voice song that was given as example. I dare you. It sounds the same, maybe just a bit of tone difference but it's basically the same.

Also I didn't mean to diss. I'm just listening to the song and telling you what I think. His voice certainly doesn't sound like the manly heavy cookie stuff like Cannibal Corpse.

I didn't. That's what I thought it sounded like lol.

You're teasing apart specifics that become meaningless out of context to make your point. It's like comparing these bands with any number of metal bands because any individual guitar riff could be picked out and you could say "tell me that doesn't sound like it could be in a metal song." The songs are shit, but there are other songs with harsh vocals that aren't. Deal with it. 8)

yes I believe it is more than, there is certainly alot more sameness. I dont know any directly ripped counter point but its blatantly obvious that death growls all sound the same and are directly ripped or could be heard as cut and paist from any song that uses them only the words may be changed. Pentatonic... well at least it is five notes with a multitude of possibilities that allow some personal characteristics to shine through. This is why such claims you mentioned are unsupportable.

Chuck's vocals through the years:

He shows diversity, ranging from a higher pitched death metal rasp to a lower growl. So no, none of that emocore bullshit sounds anything like death.

So diversity is two pitches of inhuman noises ? Its my interpretation that these two pitches is what Canto has been saying and also very easy for me to hear. The music might be different but the vocals are identical to those Canto has put samples up of and its the vocals we have been talking about not the bands sound. Its gotta take selective hearing not to hear it. Even in those 6 songs I did not hear him step outside his very small box, the words change, the feel of the music somewhat so timing of the vocal sound changes but its the same note and same sound, over and over and over.

I'll try to make this more fair, lets take Russell Allen upon first hearing him I immeadiatly caught traces of Dio and Steve Walsh, key word here is traces. How about a Tate Kiske comparision, some similiar features yet different. There are many others I've heard connections that dont come to mind so easily, it stands to reason that a world full of so many singers would have those of similiar timbre that also either by chance or influence phrase similiar. Now with this death growl stuff you have hundreds of both men and woman doing the same exact thing, throughout entire albums. Even the girls I had the displeasure of sampling dont sound much different.

Let me ask you this Zach, would you have thought Barlow was just as creative, talanted and as much of a standout vocalist if he did this death growl thing rather than sing expressively across all spectrums of human emotion ? He may well be the best pick for this quandry as he does have a deep voice and can sing with intense "anger". Myself I think he smokes all these death growlers in the talent department and I dont know of anyone that sounds like him. Zach Stevens could be another example but he did get to sounding a bit stressed at times in the more intense areas.

sad to tell you your not anyones boss and this is an open music discussion forum and everyone has been civil and only responding back and forth as its supposed to be. K ?

The difference between "dm vox" and "singing" can be equated to the difference between "head voice" and "chest voice". There is a physical analogy to it. It's another method. There are still pitches involved, still style involved, and expression. Like the other two, each has an area of appropriate use