Does he deserve that much credit?

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
No one mentioned Kurt Cobain this week on UM. That's kinda interesting, I feel that he was given far too much credit for his writing abilities & for me he wasn't in the most "influencial" of the grunge bands to begin with. In the end they became mainstream. My favorite was Alice In Chains, love that band & I think that maybe Staley deserves more credit than Cobain, simply for the fact that there are more bands at the present that, are still trying to sound like them. Lane was a better song writer & performer(this one might be a strech).
Cheers!

Here is the deal..... radio music is about appealing to the masses quickly with strong hooks (very catchy music) and a style that the media makes teens (the biggest target audience for music) think are cool. Nirvana excelled at that. I liked "Smelled Like Teen Spirit" in fact. It was a logical single to convert an audience from metal toward "alternative. Were they the best alternative band ? Maybe, but did they put out the best "alternative" album ? Hardly.... Pearl Jam "10" is incredible and I don't like "alternative" music. Not that PJ didn't have some other good songs after that, but they never created anything loce to "10" and probably never will. Eddie Vedder is an extremely emotic vocalist and his work on that release was incredible. Kurt has never had shit on him and Eddie has and never will have shit on what he once accomplished like the song "Black."

Bryant

Bryant your the man! hahaha I had this whole thing thought up for this but you said it perfectly I love Pj's 10 album myself its great ... And I to liked Smells.... but I dun like Kurt cobain I remember Criss Oliva died 6 months before because of a drunk fucking driver there was no nothing for him but a talentless hack that shot himself grrrrrrrr I still have issues with the subject :D

I was never a big fan of Nirvana or PJ. I think a lot of that had o do with living in Seattle when those bands got big. They were played to death everywhere. Songs I thought were pretty good were played out within two weeks of hearing them.

ill probably get lynched for saying this but i dont really mind nirvana and unlike what a lot of people say, i dotn think kurt cobain killed rock n roll either. i actually really like that album bleach. the problem with nirvana is that they got really popular and then a bunch of record indurstry shit heads realized bands that dont have any perticular talent could be popular so they started mass producing alternatrash. so having realized this they turned away from hairbands which were the fad before. the thing is hairbands acutally did care about their own music and actually did have talent so the record industrys couldnt just pick anyone out of the country to be the next hugely popular thing. but then nirvana happened and they realized they could literally pick anyone out of the country and produce a band out of it that would appeal to middle school girls and it didnt matter if they couldn't play anything but power chords because thats all nirvana did and they were popular. thats what killed rock n roll. not nirvana

poltergeist said:
ill probably get lynched for saying this but i dont really mind nirvana and unlike what a lot of people say, i dotn think kurt cobain killed rock n roll either. i actually really like that album bleach. the problem with nirvana is that they got really popular and then a bunch of record indurstry shit heads realized bands that dont have any perticular talent could be popular so they started mass producing alternatrash. so having realized this they turned away from hairbands which were the fad before. the thing is hairbands acutally did care about their own music and actually did have talent so the record industrys couldnt just pick anyone out of the country to be the next hugely popular thing. but then nirvana happened and they realized they could literally pick anyone out of the country and produce a band out of it that would appeal to middle school girls and it didnt matter if they couldn't play anything but power chords because thats all nirvana did and they were popular. thats what killed rock n roll. not nirvana

Poltergeist, I agree with the first half of your post but totally disagree with the last half. There was just as many worthless hair bands as there were grunge bands, and I don't see how you can say hair bands cared about their music but grunge bands didn't.... how did you come to this conclusion? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just don't get that statement.

I loved Bleach when it came out, to this day I still love it! I liked Nevermind when it first came out (had to special order it because they had not broken on MTv yet), but like the hair bands of the 80's Nevermind got WAAAYYYY over played and I can't even listen to it today. To this day I'm surprised Nirvana got as big as they did, they were just in the right place at the right time I guess..... not to take anything away from them, they were a great underground band in my book. I could see Soundgarden and Alice In Chains getting big, they were both alt/metal bands for the most part that got lumped in with the grunge scene because they were from Seattle. And as for Pearl Jam..... they're nothing but a crap jam band to me, Ten was good but everything else sucked. Mother Love Bone was soooooo much better!!

In my opinion the 2 best grunge albums were Bleach and Mudhoney's self titled album. ABout a month after Nevermind came out grunge died... for me anyway.

I couldn't agree more about Alice in Chains, I'm a huge fan. I'm 19 and that was my generation. When I was 11 it was the first form of music I got into (grunge). After hearing Slayer (hell awaits), I realized that there was such a thing as talented music, Kurt Cobain does not deserve much credit because the music he wrote was extremly simple and had "I hate myself" whinning lyrics. Layne Stanley at least did it with allot more complex and deeper music.

Sorry to interrupt the program with this important announce...

I HATE GRUNGE ALTOGETHER! (very democratic in my book they're all crap).

I'm not going to start another flame war so let's leave this at this simple point.

Thanks for the attention, you can resume your normal posting.

I agree, but my ultimate most hated band of all times just might have to be PEARL JAM, god I really fuckin hate Pearl Jam. Grunge all together is talentless noise. I don't want to offend anyone, just my opinion.

Greeno said:
Poltergeist, I agree with the first half of your post but totally disagree with the last half. There was just as many worthless hair bands as there were grunge bands, and I don't see how you can say hair bands cared about their music but grunge bands didn't.... how did you come to this conclusion? I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just don't get that statement.

my statement didtn come out quite like id meant it but i was just pointing out how a lot of the hairbands really did have actual talent compared to pearl jam and crap like that. i too despize pearl jam. of course theres crappy bands in every genre but i just see grunge as opening the floodgates for all the blink 182 type crap.

I like a lot of music. And a lot of what I like you guys think is crap. I think Kurt Cobain had a few great songs. But I think he was a PISSY BITCH who shot himself and left his daughter to fend for herself cause he couldn't take the pressure that came with money and fame. Whah whah whah. What a problem to have. Bitch. All he had to do was get outta the business and go back to wherever he came from.

Sinner Rider said:
I couldn't agree more about Alice in Chains, I'm a huge fan. I'm 19 and that was my generation.

you gotta be kidding me sinner rider!i was bangin my first girlfriend to alice in chains and nirvana years before that.it was my generation!!!and i'm an old motherfucker now...but not as old as hawk..they called them gramophones when he got down to it with his first girl i'm sure lol.

gotta go with the mighty swine that aic were the best band of that particular scene imo.layne was an awsome singer,a real talent that i miss much more than kurt,although i do have a soft spot for nirvana.good memories of that time.
however,gotta disagree with the swine over chris cornell of soundgarden.the man is the best,hands down,my fave vocalist in the rock/metal sphere.i'd give both my arms and a leg to be able to sing like him. :worship: :worship:

to sum up and stop being v.v.boring,cobain deserves the same thought from me that many of the other influential musos that have died get.he's there with layne,phil lynott,cliff burton,steve clarke and a lot of other guys that influenced my life in some way musically.no more,no less. :headbang:

Kurt Cobain...well you know, it was the Melvins' fault. According to that book about him, Kurt was a total metalhead until he saw the Melvins in concert, and then he decided that punk and, as it would become, grunge were more powerful.

He was a pretty good songwriter, I've always thought. I liked a lot of the old grunge bands...not in image or concept, but musically. He's not even close to the God that he's made out to be, but of course, he's a Dead Celebrity. Die famous and your hype will live forever.

baldyboy said:
you gotta be kidding me sinner rider!i was bangin my first girlfriend to alice in chains and nirvana years before that.it was my generation!!!

:lol: Thanks for posting that, Baldy! Thought I was going to have to.