doom metal!!!!

OK wanted to bump this thread for three reasons:

1 - I need something new. A genre that I've yet to tap into....I'm thinking Stoner/Groove. What do you guys reckon? I have one CD in this category - Cathedral's Witchfinder General. Found it in a bargain bin for $2.50 about three days ago. Listened to it once, I like it, but I know there is more out there to explore....

2 - Some of that Cathedral CD gets kinda funky if you know what I mean. I like that - it reminds me of those psychadelic moments in Amorphis' Elegy. Does that make sense? I fucking love Elegy so much, I wish I had more CD's in that vein.

3 - Does this warrant a thread all unto itself? If so, feel free to get a stoner thread going just to start off clean.

DOOM = the summer black metal

well, Candlemass split again...

Shape of Despair's "Angel of Distress" is one of the best doom albums i've ever heard. seriously.

Skepticism are on regular rotation.

Void of Silence have released a top 10 of 2004 album.

the Forsaken promo jaykeeley sent me is very impressive. SA fans take note of these guys.

Yearning are freakin' amazing, especially "Evershade", though not fully doom.

Morgion's "Solinari" is whipping my ass at the moment. need the new one.

Forest Stream's "Tears of Mortal Solitude" would have been in my top 10 of 2003 had i discovered it.

Thergothon singlehandedly destroyed the speakers in my car.

listened to Neurosis' "A Sun that Never Sets" for the first time in months yesterday. i liked it. no, really liked it. it has a definite DOOM atmosphere that was lost on me the first few listens.

Abdullah's "Graveyard Poetry" is good, fun 70's style stuff that turns me on in the gay way.

www.doom-metal.com was my savior yesterday, bedridden with a massive migraine and no UM.

that is all for now.

only doom I've been playing lately is:

Void of Silence - Human Antithesis
Yep, one of 2004's best so far.

Until Death Overtakes Me - Prelude to Monolith
One of the more underrated funeral doom albums.

That's about it. Been on a black metal kick lately.

Black Winter Day said:
DOOM = the summer black metal

well, Candlemass split again...

Shape of Despair's "Angel of Distress" is one of the best doom albums i've ever heard. seriously.

Skepticism are on regular rotation.

Void of Silence have released a top 10 of 2004 album.

the Forsaken promo jaykeeley sent me is very impressive. SA fans take note of these guys.

EDIYearning are freakin' amazing, especially "Evershade", though not fully doom.

Morgion's "Solinari" is whipping my ass at the moment. need the new one.

Forest Stream's "Tears of Mortal Solitude" would have been in my top 10 of 2003 had i discovered it.

Thergothon singlehandedly destroyed the speakers in my car.

listened to Neurosis' "A Sun that Never Sets" for the first time in months yesterday. i liked it. no, really liked it. it has a definite DOOM atmosphere that was lost on me the first few listens.

Abdullah's "Graveyard Poetry" is good, fun 70's style stuff that turns me on in the gay way.

www.doom-metal.com was my savior yesterday, bedridden with a massive migraine and no UM.

that is all for now.
Dude. Check out the following immediately:

Orodruin
Reverend Bizarre
Dolorian
Ataraxie
Burning Witch
Buried At Sea
diSEMBOWELMENT
Doomsword
Dusk
The Doomsday Cult
Esoteric
Evoken
Estatic Fear
Funerary Dirge
Until Death Overtakes Me
Goatsnake
Krux
Abstrakt Algebra
Halo
Hierophant
Long Winter's Stare - Tears of Odin's Fallen
Tyranny
Bunkur
Monolithe
Moss
The Obbsessed
Nortt
Penance
Solicide
Rebreather
The Bretwaldas of Heathen Doom
Place of Skulls
Sleep
The Ethereal
Warning
Yeti
The Funeral Orchestra
Rwake
Rapture
Through The Valley
Unburied
Warhorse
Unholy
Indesinence
Swallow The Sun
Desire
Wormphlegm
Confessor
Winter
Dawn of Winter
WHile Heaven Wept
Worship

...and soo many more. Check out nu-doom.com's list for most of em.

EDIT: 3 years later...wow, I had some shit taste back then.

BloodStainedWalls said:
Doomsword
Evoken
The Obbsessed
Rapture
WHile Heaven Wept
got stuff by all these bands. the rest on the list i've either heard tracks by or have heard mentioned from www.doom-metal.com. i have an orodruin disc on the way (epicurean mass). i am interested in reverend bizarre and ataraxie, particulary ataraxie. the song i heard by them yesterday on doomed radio was nothing short of mystical. i am also highly interested in another unsigned band that gets pimped a lot there: eria d'or. ever heard 'em? good shite there. i need to hear some nortt, considereing they have album of the month over there now. thanks for the list (might be a while before i compile stuff by all of them though :) ).

J. said:
Tell me where the fuck I can find releases by these two for a decent price.
Well, I got the Hierophant - The Weight of Winter from a trader on Doom-metal.com. I got Monolithe of EBay a few months ago. I have Hierophants demo on my computer. Im not aware of any sites.

speed said:
Hey bloodstained, I prefer the sludgey doom goodness. What obscure doom band would you recommend?
Well, you didn't ask, but I might as well give some suggestions, since I have a lot of work to do, but don't want to do it.

WHen you say "sludgy", do you mean sludge bands like Iron Monkey and Acid Bath? Or do you mean bands with really drawn out riffs like Skepticism?

Either way, try:

Until Death Overtakes Me
Grief
Mindrot
Skepticism
Thergothon
dISMEMBOWELMENT

Hm havent heard of grief, I really like Mindrot. Do you have the new Eyes of Fire cd? Its pretty much the same guys from Mindrot. I love it, despite its tendency to use the same song structures.

speed said:
Hm havent heard of grief, I really like Mindrot. Do you have the new Eyes of Fire cd? Its pretty much the same guys from Mindrot. I love it, despite its tendency to use the same song structures.
Yeah, I've got their EP and the full length. While good, neither is as good as Mindrot IMO.