Emperor

Dude, come on, I agree with you, for the most part, but get over yourself

I was going to edit that and say it's aimed at Scourge of God, but both of you, just because you think something, doesn't make it right.

I haven't argued with this guy about anything Emperor related in this entire thread :)

Dude, come on, I agree with you, for the most part, but get over yourself

I was going to edit that and say it's aimed at Scourge of God, but both of you, just because you think something, doesn't make it right.

You're missing the cause and effect relationship. I think the things I think because they are right, they aren't right because I think them.

I read back and realized that actually Ikil, my complete apologies:)

What I mean is to everyone else, essentially Scourge of God is right, the production did change, and the only reason it would have changed is because Emperor wanted it to change, BUT, to say a mid 90's black metal band, who were a completely influential part of the scene, made their 3rd album to get popular? To say that is really annoying, and probably wrong.

But none of us here are in Emperor, so when It comes down to it, how the fuck would we know anyway?

Cause and Effect? How do you know they did it to attract fans an become popular? huh? You're just being a fuck

I don't think Emperor 'cleaned' their sound to gain more popularity. When you are as musically skillful as Ihsahn is, as if you would want to stick to that more simplistic form of BM music. Sure, their music might not have stayed 'true' to the BM style, but they had certainly gotten more skillful.

I read back and realized that actually Ikil, my complete apologies:)

What I mean is to everyone else, essentially Scourge of God is right, the production did change, and the only reason it would have changed is because Emperor wanted it to change, BUT, to say a mid 90's black metal band, who were a completely influential part of the scene, made their 3rd album to get popular?

This always seemed to be a silly way to look at how bands sell out. Do you really think that, say, Metallica were just sitting around one day in 1994 and were like, "Hey, I've got it, we'll sell out!" Just imagine how that discussion went:

Lars: "We'll get haircuts and pimp suits and cigars and everything!"

James: "Only if I get to wear suspenders and a wife beater!

Lars: "Fine, whatever man."

James: "And here I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with these slightly used Soundgarden riffs I found at Goodwill last week."

Kirk: "I've always wanted to just glue my wah pedal to my foot. Sweet!"

Jason: "I've got some cow semen..."

*awkward silence*

Lars: "Well, that's settled then."

---------

Why don't we be a little more realistic and acknowledge what ought to be obvious. Bands 'sell out' all the time without even intending to do so, and often without even knowing it's happened.

This always seemed to be a silly way to look at how bands sell out. Do you really think that, say, Metallica were just sitting around one day in 1994 and were like, "Hey, I've got it, we'll sell out!" Just imagine how that discussion went:

Lars: "We'll get haircuts and pimp suits and cigars and everything!"

James: "Only if I get to wear suspenders and a wife beater!

Lars: "Fine, whatever man."

James: "And here I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with these slightly used Soundgarden riffs I found at Goodwill last week."

Kirk: "I've always wanted to just glue my wah pedal to my foot. Sweet!"

Jason: "I've got some cow semen..."

*awkward silence*

Lars: "Well, that's settled then."

---------

Why don't we be a little more realistic and acknowledge what ought to be obvious. Bands 'sell out' all the time without even intending to do so, and often without even knowing it's happened.

See, You're comparing a thrash band that entirely changed their genre, to a Black Metal band that made a bit of a change in production and riffing...

Why don't we be completely realistic and acknowledge that there is a MASSIVE difference between what was a production change, even making your music more accessible, and "selling out."

lets be even more realistic and not use idiotic and exaggerated examples trying to prove an unjustifiable opinion...

See, You're comparing a thrash band that entirely changed their genre, to a Black Metal band that made a bit of a change in production and riffing...

No one is comparing anything to anything, which should be fairly obvious.

I thought I'd appeal to your sense of the ridiculous to get you to understand the basic point, but apparently, I was too subtle for this forum, so let me try again:

Which do you find more likely, that as bands begin to move beyond early periods of creative fecundity that their music begins to develop in directions, for various reasons (and few articulated consciously) that ultimately results in more commercially accessible music or that they all sit down one day and decide to turn their backs on everything they've ever stood for?

The whole notion that somehow a band isn't commercially accessible if they didn't make a conscious choice to be commercially accessible, is silly. Tons of bands make commercial music for reasons other than wanting commercial success, so intent is effectively irrelevant (though in Emperor's case, their timing remains awfully suspicious).

Comparison : the considering of two things with regard to some characteristic that is common to both

you were "considering" both Emperor and Metallica, with regard some characteristic that is common to both (selling out, in some way, shape, or form)
Tell me please, how are you not making a comparison?

hahaha, but seriously, what are we arguing about then?

If you're admitting they may not have changed under the conscious guise of developing musically, when in fact they were just totally selling out...

And I'm admitting I agree with you in that they did change between the two albums, and that In the Nightside Eclipse is a better album...

Comparison : the considering of two things with regard to some characteristic that is common to both

you were "considering" both Emperor and Metallica, with regard some characteristic that is common to both (selling out, in some way, shape, or form)
Tell me please, how are you not making a comparison?

Actually, I was illustrating a point about the process of selling out, but, at this point, I've stopped assuming anyone but myself has a grasp on the obvious.

I wish I had the energy to tear some of these comments to pieces, but unfortunately my flu makes typing an effort. Mike, you have the com.

defiant2.jpg

Actually, I was illustrating a point about the process of selling out, but, at this point, I've stopped assuming anyone but myself has a grasp on the obvious.

exactly, idiot, that's what you call making a comparison

seriously, the whole completely ignorant, arrogant pseudo-intellectual forum trolling thing is so fucking lame. You're probably an alright guy, you just need to get over yourself.

we need people like Scourge of God on these forums so be easy on him and dont drive him away please...or piss him off too much so he goes and says something stupid and gets himself banned. this forum has already lost too many of his kind (nothinggod, armaggedons child and many more before them) and frankly speaking, they are the driving force here. not us. not me. all we ever do is agree with each other on how cool stuff are...and a few minor discussions here and there. but these guys spice the whole thing up.

so, go ed Scourge of God!

exactly, idiot, that's what you call making a comparison

No, genius, a 'comparison' occurs when one person/idea/object is compared to another, similar person/idea/object. For instance, if someone said "Metallica is like Emperor" and then explained the connection, that would be a comparison. "Do you think Metallica really sat down and said 'Hey, let's sell out'?" is what we English speakers call a 'rhetorical question.'

What is wrong with you, genius?

A comparison occurs when something is "compared", to "compare" is to note similarities, or even a singular similarity, like you just said yourself...

You were saying Emperor sold out, and you used Metallica to make a point about selling out, tell me how that is not noting a similarity?