Favorite 5 Black Metal Albums

lol that last fm has been updated once in the last what, 2 1/2 years or something like that...didn't reinstall it until recently (a month or so ago) and then turned it off cos it was annoying as shit.

I just find it astonishing how hlto gets like 2 mentions but then you have people mentioning shoegaze bullshit like alcest or the new satyricon albums.

tbh mcaal is a better album than tentacles, but I haven't given tentacles that close of a listen (really only listened to it two or three times in full). just imo though.

halmstad is an excellent album, fuck what anybody else thinks (about how shining is a so-called "hipster" band or whatever that bullshit is). they could have done less of the retarded crying sound-effects, though.

Ulver-Bergtatt
Emperor - Anthems
Emperor - Eclipse
Arcturus - Aspera Hymns Syphonia
Satyricon - Shadowthrone

Honorable Mention: WITTR - 2 Hunters

My only problem with Fas is that the drums seem like they were recorded too loud on the really thrashy black metal parts - it's very hard to hear exactly what the guitars are doing when the music gets fast on that album because you sorta get that machine gun sound imo. The slower parts are simply excellent. Also SMRC is just more accessible overall because everything's divided up into more individual songs.

Those orgies of disharmonic riffs is exactly what I love the most about Fas.

btw there are some pwning albums that could complete my top 10, once again, very unkvlt stuff:

Emperor - Prometheus
Enslaved - Isa
Deathspell Omega - Fas
Shining - V: Halmstad
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness

^ there are dissonant riffs in other DsO songs - the difference is with Fas I can't hear them when the drums go all out like that...

Ok I need help - I simply love Om but haven't bothered getting more NB. What would you guys say is the next best album?

lol that last fm has been updated once in the last what, 2 1/2 years or something like that...didn't reinstall it until recently (a month or so ago) and then turned it off cos it was annoying as shit.

I just find it astonishing how hlto gets like 2 mentions but then you have people mentioning shoegaze bullshit like alcest or the new satyricon albums.

tbh mcaal is a better album than tentacles, but I haven't given tentacles that close of a listen (really only listened to it two or three times in full). just imo though.

halmstad is an excellent album, fuck what anybody else thinks (about how shining is a so-called "hipster" band or whatever that bullshit is). they could have done less of the retarded crying sound-effects, though.

Agreed concerning Shining.

Concerning the last.fm discussion: How come someone needs to defend their musical taste? You don't become less knowledgeable about BM if you listen to In Flames, people who say that are less knowledgeable and more often than that prone to herd thinking, as they seem to consider stereotypes as truths.
I myself have loved BM since the early 90's, and also loved In Flames' first albums. When Come Clarity was released, I was glad that it actually had some good songs on it, and I still listen to the record sometimes (as opposed to the few albums preceding it). Does this make me less (or more) knowledgeable in BM? Come on... :loco:

Also, IMHO The Age of Nero and Now, Diabolical are absolutely marvellous records. Volcano and Rebel Extravaganza are not as good, but that might have something to do with my anti-anything-that-isn't-like-the-first-three-records attitude at the time of their release.

Oh, and while listing my top 5 I forgot Limbonic Art "Moon in the Scorpio", which clearly belongs to the list. Other honorable mentions include Burzum's early stuff, Satyricon's two first & two latest, Darkthrone "Panzerfaust", "Under a Funeral Moon" & "Transilvanian Hunger" and Marduk's "Heaven Shall Burn" and "Opus Nocturne".

Then there are of course lots of great stuff in the border region of BM, like Dissection, (early) Naglfar, Arcturus, Ulver and so forth, which I wouldn't call BM and therefore left out of my list.

oic, tbh I consider Fas much more chaotic than SMRC in every sense.

tbh the mixing is better on fas but whoever programmed the drums should have humanized it a little more...it's fairly obvious that the drums are programmed...repellent scars, I believe it is, has a section towards the middle with a bunch of tom rolls that sound exactly the same on every repetition.

wish they would have lowered the drums a little bit, but alas.

Lateralus14 said:
Ok I need help - I simply love Om but haven't bothered getting more NB. What would you guys say is the next best album?

'n Crugu Bradului tbh. Inarborat Kosmos is also very good. everything's fairly good but tbh the last three releases (n Crugu, Inarborat, and Om) blow away the rest of their discography. the production values also increased from the first albums/EPs to the last three, which is a great thing.

I think V: Halmstad is a great album, but again it has very little to do with BM when you think about it (save the vocals perhaps), especially compared to the earlier Shining albums. But hey, I'm not gonna nitpick anymore, most of the albums people have mentioned are pretty good - though I must admit I cannot get into the last few Satyricon albums and it has nothing to do with comparing them to the earlier releases - I just find them, for lack of a better word, boring - especially when compared to the direction outside of bog-standard BM other bands have taken (actually Shining is a good example, as is Enslaved, In The Woods... etc.)

mine are fairly typical (i'm not a huge black metal fan, not kvlt in any way):
1. enslaved - frost
2. borknagar - epic
3. emperor - in the nightside eclipse
4. satyricon - volcano (not a popular choice, but imo, a great album)
5. dragonlord - black wings of destiny

lol didnt know watershed was out 2 1/2 years ago.
also arguing the reinstall 1 month ago still proves you listened to come clarity recently, thus your argument is voided.

I don't think I even own 5 blackmetal albums yet. :(

Anyways some I like and think are something like bm;

Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Dimmu Borgir - For all tid
Cradle of Filth - Dusk..and her embrace
Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the beast

Generally lo-fi sound quality (usually an abundance of treble and little bass), shrieked screams for vocals, satanic and misanthropic imagery in lyrics, use of tremolo picking (with usually higher register riffs compared to, say, death metal), extensive use of blast beats, Norwegian (half-jokingly), forstbitten, use of corpsepaint, autumnal, being a troll in some grim forest, and most importantly, KVLT!

abbath2.jpg

Actually, Abbath pretty much does as a description of black metal.