favorite "old school" metal band??

Welcome to UMOS. 13!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow there goes Droog's crown :lol:

I guess that will be Motorhead for me, but I have to list definitively for several different reasons:

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Saxon
Rush
Thin Lizzy

Top of my list:

1) CORONER

2) Judas Priest
3) Iron Maiden
4) Black Sabbath
5) Exodus

Wow! 13 years old! Damn. I want to welcome you to the board and say that it's great to hear of a 13 year old metalhead!!! It seems like when we were growing up (I am now 31) that most kids were into metal or at least rock....Nowadays most 13 year olds have been brainwashed into the hip hop world! At least around my town. You just wanna go up to these little Eminem wannabe's and say, "have you ever heard of a guitar?!?!?". Anyways, I give you much respect. Great to have you.

NOW, as for my favorite old school metal band.

I gotta answer this 2 ways. VAN HALEN is my favorite band of all time...and just in case you haven't looked into them, be sure to check out the DAVID LEE ROTH era albums and not the pussified Sammy Hagar stuff. Trust me, I've been a fan of both and the older I get the more I see Dave was the ONLY singer they ever had.

But as for a true old school Metal band goes, I gotta say good ol' Judas Priest. In my opinion their albums are always consistent and fresh, from British Steel to Angel of Retribution....great stuff.

I have to choose between Judas Priest and Rush. And I choose Judas Priest! But Rush is a close second!

Welcome to UMOS No-Mercy! I hope you'll enjoy your time here. :)

No-Mercy said:
mine is Maiden, they have been my favorite band all around since i was 7. because im just 13 now, i couldnt enjoy the 80's...... :Smug:

although i have been able to get my hands on the Live After Death video which kicks ass!!

Hey! Good to see you over here!

My favorite would have to be KISS. They started it all for me back when I was about your age.

Some close seconds would be Rush, Alice Cooper, and Black Sabbath.

Hey No-Mercy! Glad to see you made it out of the TM board and wandering around! Some may not see them as metal and or heavy enough, but if you listen to "Yellow Raven", "In Trance", "Virgin Killers" and "Tokyo Tapes" you will hear the classic old-school riffs of the one and only mighty SCORPIONS!

So my top 5 would be:
SCORPIONS
IRON MAIDEN
JUDAS PRIEST
BLACK SABBATH
LED ZEPPELIN

kittybeast said:
Hey No-Mercy! Glad to see you made it out of the TM board and wandering around! Some may not see them as metal and or heavy enough, but if you listen to "Yellow Raven", "In Trance", "Virgin Killers" and "Tokyo Tapes" you will hear the classic old-school riffs of the one and only mighty SCORPIONS!

From "Fly To The Rainbow" to "Taken By Force" Scorpions are undoubtedly one of the most solid metal acts ever. And if you consider the rest of their catalogue they are not that bad either :D

Kiss
Ac/Dc
CCR (not metal but the first rock band i was exposed to when i was young)
Cheap Trick(another non-metal band)
Van Halen (DLR era period!)
Judas Priest
Dokken
Quiet Riot
WASP
DIO
Black Sabbath
Venom
Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Testament, Nuclear Assault, Celtic Frost, Overkill (old),
Whiplash, Cirith Ungol, and so on.
Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Mountain and so on.
I would probably have pages of stuff that I dug in my life.

WEll, my favorite bands ever are Fates Warning and Megadeth.

After that its the likes of Vio-lence, old school Sepultura, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Overkill, Toxik...

For me, it's still LED ZEP.

However, I rarely listen to them anymore as I've played out every note of theirs! Same with Maiden (my 2nd fav).

Overall, I'd rank my favs as such:

Zep
Maiden
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Priest
Motorheead
Queensryche

And, I've just discoovered Rush!

SoundMaster said:
For me, it's still LED ZEP.

However, I rarely listen to them anymore as I've played out every note of theirs! Same with Maiden (my 2nd fav).

Overall, I'd rank my favs as such:

Zep
Maiden
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Priest
Motorheead
Queensryche

And, I've just discoovered Rush!

So how are you liking Rush? What album did you get?

For me early Queensryche and Savatage...Closely followed by a whole bunch, mostly US-Metal bands...I've got more favorits in the 80's "underground" scene than all the big names of metal... Bands like Helstar, Culprit, Heir Apparent, Exciter, Overkill, Agent Steel, Hexx, SOD, Znöwhite, Toxik, Abattoir, etc...etc...
Of the big names I guess early (Dianno) Maiden and AC/DC rule for me.

i'll have to go with Judas Priest. Like Ted said, they have been consistantly good over the years and ya just can't deny the power of priest.