Female Fronted Bands

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
What female fronted bands to you enjoy?

I ask because I remembered hearing 3rd and the Mortal's "Sorrow" probably seven years ago and really liking it. Since then I've enjoyed DVKE and Dargaard, some Gathering (not much), a bit Lacuna Coil.

I'm currently contemplating getting some 3atM. Maybe being a dad to a little girl in about 2 weeks is making me a wimp.

I suppose that beauty and the beast metal would apply: Tristania, Theater of Tragedy, Sirenia....

No, schlock like Arch Enemy fronted by chicks who sounds like dudes does not count. Nor does Darkestrah, even though they are pretty good.

Cheers. :)

Vainglory is a pretty kick ass female fronted speed/heavy metal outfit.

Also enjoyed Benedictum (nother Heavy metal outfit) when I saw them at CPF. She had big ol titties too. When she was in the hotel, and I looked down the hall, all I could see was tits filling the hall. Big ol tits.

the goth tag doesnt really scare me, but im not looking for stuff like nightwish, which is feamle power metal or something. jarboe's work in swans is quite nice.

liv kristines work in theater of tragedy was good, especially on the song "A Distance There Is" and a few songs off Aegis.

anyone familiar with Dark Sanctuary?

does Elend have female vocals?

will check out tapping the vein

mmm

If you've heard sorrow and liked it, get 'Tears laid in earth' next for 3atm. You might also try their 'painting on glass' (which leaves the metal behind entirely). Elend do feature female vocals but they're mixed in with the male vocals. Try Les tenebres du dehors (my fav) or winds devouring men maybe. I'm not familiar with their latest. For a doom band with female vocals try Norway's skumring. They have some similarities to early 3atm, but more doomish.

As for Dark Sanctuary, i have just about all their albums. Really great stuff, that is stunningly beautiful. It's very symphonic, with guitars playing a background role. Start off with royaume melancolique or Les Memoires Blessees.

I don't care if you like any of these bands (and you probably won't), but these bands are good:

Original Sin
Sentinel Beast
Detente
Znowhite
Holy Moses (Finished With The Dogs)

Well, I know this isn't really accurate as per the description, but I was listening to The August Engine for the first time in a while today, and GOD DAMN can those ladies sing!

What female fronted bands to you enjoy?

I ask because I remembered hearing 3rd and the Mortal's "Sorrow" probably seven years ago and really liking it.

Their first full length "Tears Laid In Earth" puts that EP to shame. Probably the most amazing female vocal performance I've heard. no shit.
I also rather enjoy Sfinx (Miriam Elisabeth Renvåg) from Ram-Zet

As for Dark Sanctuary, i have just about all their albums. Really great stuff, that is stunningly beautiful. It's very symphonic, with guitars playing a background role. Start off with royaume melancolique or Les Memoires Blessees.

Yeah, I think this band could be just what you're looking for. Just really emotive, beautiful music. I only have RM though, but I assume it's all pretty similar.

Speaking of "beauty and the beast" metal (dumb name, haha), some of the very first "underground" bands I got into where bands in this style, like Tristania. Really fucking cheesy, but I liked it anyway. Theatre of Tragedy were pretty hit or miss, although they had some really good tracks.

Tristania's Widows Weeds was alright. Thats all i could ever really listen to from them.

ive heard aghora's debut and i remember liking it somewhat. i think it's with some Cynic guys.

a good example of what im kinda looking for is In the Woods Omnio. that kind of music with those kind of vocals.