Rising popularity of female fronted bands..

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Here's a story for Bob....

Bryan Reesman of Grammy.com reports: If the clichéd debate over the presence of women in rock music isn't dead, the often gothed-out females fronting a number of today's metal bands should literally put the last nail in the coffin.

The clubs are alive with the roaring sounds of female metallions. Fueled by some extreme acts and many gothic and ethereal groups, mostly from Europe, female-fronted metal bands are proliferating in number and reaching a wider audience than ever before.

The multi-platinum EVANESCENCE proved that female-fronted rock was a serious mainstream force, and more and more hard rocking women in groups like LACUNA COIL and FLYLEAF (on a mainstream level), ARCH ENEMY, WITHIN TEMPTATION, and IN THIS MOMENT (bubbling under), and LEAVES' EYES and THE AGONIST (growing on an underground level) are showcasing their diversity across many subgenres of metal. Such activity should make female rock star progenitors like Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Lita Ford, Grace Slick, and Janis Joplin proud.

The most immediate trend is the gothic and symphonic metal wave that has recently invaded U.S. shores. Holland's WITHIN TEMPTATION traversed America twice over a five month period recently, while their recent tourmates, Italy's LACUNA COIL, continue to tour regularly. Holland's EPICA and Austria's VISIONS OF ATLANTIS just toured here together. Finland's NIGHTWISH and Holland's AFTER FOREVER will arrive in the States in October, the former headlining the Nokia Theater in New York. Germany's LEAVES' EYES just played America for the third time and will return again in April 2008.

Read the entire article at Grammy.com.

Jason....when will you open yours eyes and put away your muslim woman hating beliefs. Women have stepped up now, they do more than dishes and make babies. Jason, guess what. Some get to wear clothes and show skin. Not like you interpitation of a girl who has to wear a full body sheet outside. One day I hope we can all go to see a band fronted by a female together. maybe this will bring world peace.

:lol:
Yeah, and the fact that your fav bands caught the attention of the Grammy Committee only further proves that these bands are a gimmick and not here to stay. ShaZaam!

Just giving Bob some crap.
In all seriousness, its cool for this genre of metal to get attention. Just not my thing.

This genre definitely has commercial appeal and I expect a lot more female fronted bands to get signed.

Wait, are we talking about [...]

I thought we were talking about female fronted bands, particularly in the metal genre since this is a metal forum, but it appears I am mistaken ... :Smug: :lol: (Sorry, I had to joke a little, since the topic has taken quite a different direction than what I expected from when I read the title of this thread.)

IMO, 2007 certainly seemed to be the year for female-fronted metal, particularly for the US market.

I personally say that overall, this is not just a trend, since female fronted metal pioneer Doro just celebrated over 20 years in metal and is still going strong. (Yeah, I know I'm a fan girl. :Shedevil: :lol:) However, in the general publics' eyes, I can see that there are a lot of folks jumping on the bandwagon, now that female fronted metal has gained more of a mainstream presence.

Trend or not, I'm glad to see some kick-ass women performers getting some credit for their hard work and talent, along with the guys (and a few ladies) who bust their asses in the bands backing these terrific female singers. I'm also glad to see the genre opening up to more than just pretty girls singing in a operatic style in front of a heavy band. I like that the genre is seeing more diversity, with vocals that incorporate power metal, progressive, doom, death, gothic, rock, black, ambient, and even some (dare I say it) hardcore elements.

Most of those female-fronted bands probably will never make it into the mainstream (which I think in most forumers opinions is usually what ruins good music), but I think that the vast majority of them will still continue to produce incredibly talented work and win spots on great tours that will expose them to the right circles of metal music lovers.

While I am not a fan of the genre, I agree that it is a good thing that various bands are now getting much well-deserved attention.

Let's face it. It is a hell of a lot easier to market bands featuring Liv Kristine, Christina Scabbia, and Simone than Wino or (insert not-so-attractive frontman). :lol:

The problem with these fads or trends (and for the record, by trend, I mean from a commercial standpoint), is that out of nowhere, labels will waste money on not-so-deserving bands, such as Echoes to Eternity, based on bra-cup size......

While I am not a fan of the genre, I agree that it is a good thing that various bands are now getting much well-deserved attention.

Let's face it. It is a hell of a lot easier to market bands featuring Liv Kristine, Christina Scabbia, and Simone than Wino or (insert not-so-attractive frontman). :lol:

The problem with these fads or trends (and for the record, by trend, I mean from a commercial standpoint), is that out of nowhere, labels will waste money on not-so-deserving bands, such as Echoes to Eternity, based on bra-cup size......
I actually like Echoes of Eternity, but I understand what you mean about bands receiving attention and industry offers only because they have a pretty face fronting the band.

I actually like Echoes of Eternity, but I understand what you mean about bands receiving attention and industry offers only because they have a pretty face fronting the band.

I was picking on EoE since I heard a song of theirs on a sampler.
Just wasn't my thing.
From what I have read is that their selling point is the singers D-Cups.