Rising popularity of female fronted bands..

From what I have read is that their selling point is the singers D-Cups.
I brought up this point to some male friends over the weekend about Francine's figure being a selling point for the band. They both admitted that while her chest is rather nice to look at (I can't argue), they enjoyed listening to the band's music way before they had a chance to see what Francine looked like.

On a similar note, the show where many of my male friends saw Lacuna Coil for the first time, the boys came home talking non-stop about Cristina Scabia's low cut dress, which they could apparently look right down whenever she bent over to headbang. While it's obvious that her looks have helped her and the band's popularity, that can't be the only reason she has become a recognized voice in metal (guest appearance on Megadeth's recent album) and that Lacuna Coil has become one of the best-selling contemporary metal bands.

I get what you are saying.
There is a reason why people were fans of WARLOCK in the 80s, and NOT the GREAT KAT :lol:
Had actually never heard of the Great Kat until your post, so I went a looked her up. I haven't had a chance to sample any of her music (can't while I'm at work), but she doesn't look bad IMO, which is what it seemed like you were implying by that post.

I'm sure Doro's looks (not to mention her incredible stage presence and interaction with the crowd) helped Warlock a lot with their popularity in the 80s, but I'm sure the fact that they wrote really catchy metal/rock anthems, which seemed to be the flavor of the day in the 80s, didn't hurt either. I've actually had guys who were early Warlock fans confess to me that many metal fans (guys) used to shit on them and wouldn't even bother listening to Warlock solely based on the fact that they had a female singer. That doesn't seem to have as much bearing now-a-days, but I just wanted to point out that just as there were folks who only listened due to the singers looks, there were also metal fans that refuse to listen based on the singer's sex.

Oh absolutley!
I saw WARLOCK live back in the day.
No doubt many people didn't give them chance simply because of Doro.

My point simply was that Doro is a much more accomplished vocalist than the Kat.
(echoing your point that looks / how you dress, etc, can only go SO far)

Oh absolutley!
I saw WARLOCK live back in the day.
No doubt many people didn't give them chance simply because of Doro.

My point simply was that Doro is a much more accomplished vocalist than the Kat.
(echoing your point that looks / how you dress, etc, can only go SO far)
Damn what I wouldn't give to have seen Warlock in their heyday ... or for their brief reunion a few years ago at Wacken for that matter.

Ahhh... I see your point. So perhaps it is not worth my looking into finding any audio tracks or CDs of the Great Kat? :lol:

Actually I did check out her web site a little further once I got home this evening. She's certainly one of the fastest female guitar players that I've ever heard, although I couldn't really find any clips on her Web site that focused on her singing. (Guess the probably knew where her talents lied.) There was a little bit of growling/screeching vocals in one of the videos, but not enough for me to make a fair judgment on her vocal capabilities. Although if I was to pass judgment based solely on that very short clip, it probably wouldn't be in her favor. She seems to have more a gimmick going for her than most female frontwomen/singers do - sort of a Wendy O. Williams meets Immortal with some Michael Angelo thrown in for good measure. :loco: :lol: Then again, I'd take talent over a gimmick any day.

I noticed they are getting more popular. However I don't think its just a trend, some of these bands earned it with some good material. If you put a good record you will get your reward whether the singer is a man or a woman.

I noticed they are getting more popular. However I don't think its just a trend, some of these bands earned it with some good material. If you put a good record you will get your reward whether the singer is a man or a woman.

Right, though do you really think In This Moment landed the opening spot on the current Ozzy tour due to talent?

I am not knocking the many deserving female fronted bands.

I am not specifically knocking any band really.
Just making the observation that now almost EVERY package tour has the mandatory female fronted band.

Labels like CM and Nuc Blast are signing anything these days....

Right, though do you really think In This Moment landed the opening spot on the current Ozzy tour due to talent?

I am not knocking the many deserving female fronted bands.

I am not specifically knocking any band really.
Just making the observation that now almost EVERY package tour has the mandatory female fronted band.

Labels like CM and Nuc Blast are signing anything these days....

this I will agree with. there are great female fronted bands that earned what they got...Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, and a few others. then there is this new wave of stuff which every label is trying to get thier own version of those acts. most of them are crap. like any genre....it is getting over filled with garbage and ruining it.

also....Warlock was never popular in the states in the 80's. they were always a joke. sorry.

That's exactly the point I was making.
Bands who are getting signed more from a marketing perspective won't be around in 5 years and will soon be forgotten. Regardless of their popularity in years to come, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, etc, will be remembered for their musical output.

Yeah, Warlock were not very well received in the states in the 80s, that is for sure. I do recall finding their song "East Meets West" catchy, from the video they used to show on the Ball. Just one band that I never followed, along with Doro solo.

I liked them before the were on this tour, before they were on tour with Megadeth, before they were on Ozzfest, and even before they were on the "Hottest Chicks in Metal Tour." I know they are technically more Hardcore (a genre I typically hate with a passion) than Metal, but I like them anyway. Maria is pretty, but what I really give her credit for is the abaility to switch back a forth from the harsh to clean vocals. Not saying they got where they got because of talent, but I (and several other folks I know) enjoy their stuff.

While we are on the topic of singers/bands getting where they are because they are pretty, let me just say that I'm pretty damn pissed for more good things not coming to Angtoria. I personally think Sarah Jezebel Deva is beautiful and no doubt she has an amazing voice, but I would more than bet that the fact that she is a "bigger" girl has inhibited the band from landing spots on tours and more publicity. I don't think I've found many people who didn't like their debut album "God Has a Plan for Us All" and I'm surprised they havn't caught on in the mainstream a little more, given her presence in Cradle of Filth. IMHO "God Has a Plan for Us All" was one of the best albums to come out last year.

Time to get an operation then...
Uh-oh, lookout ... in a few years will we see a thread that Pate starts titled "Rising Popularity of Transgendered Fronted Bands"? :ill: :lol:

I have never heard of ANGTORIA, so I can't comment.
Sadly though, if their singer is heavier-set, it would be a reason why many haven't heard of them.

Though, don't all the ladies love Messiah?????

Sadly though, if their singer is heavier-set, it would be a reason why many haven't heard of them.
It is indeed sad that even in more indie-metal sub-genres, which generally have pretty level-headed fans (generally), bands still fall victim to the same inane bullshit that they experience in mainstream music (i.e. emphasis on looks over talent). I will also always find it funny (and somewhat disturbing) that in metal, frontmen can be as fat or unpleasant looking as they like - not saying all of them are but there's a fair share of ugly looking dudes singing/playing metal. But if a frontwoman does look stunning, not to mention thin, she's got fewer chances of making it very far in a music career. Which is truly a shame, since I can think a of at least a few (some from local and some from national bands) very talented "bigger" female singers - Sarah Jezebel Deva being one of them.