Folk Metal anyone?

8sideways

New Metal Member
Jun 16, 2006
Does anyone else here listen to this crazy shit? Personnaly the only band of this genre I like is Finntroll. I dont know why but listening to it makes me want to run around a forest with a wooden stick hunting summer campers......kinda like a troll

What are everyone elses feelings on this sub-species of metal?

Early Vintersorg, Otyg, Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, Windir, etc etc.

Give them a listen! Especially Falkenbach, which can also be classified as Viking Metal.

I havent actually heard anything classified as viking metal. maybe I have heard some bands, but just never had anyone say "hey, this is viking metal"

I wanna know what this sounds like, what bands should I look for?

I like Otyg a lot but that is about as far as it. I'm just not real familiar with this genre. I like Borknagar but I consider that more black/viking metal.

I listened to Finntroll's album... the one which ends with the word 'Tidd'?

Anyway, I listened to it back when I wasnt even into metal at all.

Aarohi said:
I listened to Finntroll's album... the one which ends with the word 'Tidd'?

Anyway, I listened to it back when I wasnt even into metal at all.

Jaktens Tid.

Finntroll, first Borknagar, Windir, Moonsorrow and Ásmegin are among my favorites.

Fuck you poser fucks. All these replies, and not one of you have mentioned Skyclad.

For shame.

Also, Turisas would probably appeal to you if you like Finntroll.

Turisas is great but I liked their demo better than Battle Metal. It was too much you know much.

And yes Zephyrus it was but closer black metal to doesn't mean no folk metal at all. It has some great folky elements.

I'm just saying that Borknagar started as a black metal band with touches of folk, and not folk metal with touches of black metal.

Folk (and Viking) metal is THE best genre! There's so much variety and the themes are fucking quality. Falkenbach, Bathory (Nordic albums), Finntroll, Turisas, Amon Amarth, Otyg, Fjoergyn, Cruachan, Ensiferum, Waylander, Trollfest, Menhir, Glittertind, Thyrfing, Metsatoll, Mithotyn, Enslaved, Moonsorrow... in case anyone thinks I've just reeled off Google results, these are all the folk/Viking bands I listen to, and I highly recommend all of them to anyone who is interested in the genre.

Folk metal ftw!

Depends on the band. Primordial are fucking great, one of my top five favorite bands. Then there are a bunch of good folk/black metal bands from Germany and the Ukraine. Mael Mordha is another great striaght-up folk metal band, with a traditional doom base. I agree that some folk metal can be kinda cheesy, though.

Yes, Skyclad are great(esspecially Jonahs Ark and Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth ) .. so are Fjoergyn and Windir.. i fucking love them