ghost reveries is a weak album?

biggsy said:
GR is weakER but not weak. it doesnt measure up to the others in my eyes, but i still really appreciate what the guys are trying to do. you cant experiment and get it 100% right the whole time.

to some it may be 100% right, just because it's not to you, doesn't mean it isn't.

I wish people would get over it. You think it's a weak album? Great. Do we care? No. And as for people worshipping previous albums, shut the fuck up please, it's music not a Holy Book, and Mikeal et al is a talented musician not the Messiah. Do you expect the band to turn out perfect or even close to perfect albums every time they make one? You're fooling yourself, they're talented musicians, not Gods and tehy'll never turn out an album that pleases everyone. Now stop sobbing over the fact that Ghost Reveries isn't (in your opinion) the masterpiece that you were expecting taht would take you through the full spectrum of human emotion and enrich your life so that you too "Shalt be as The Almighty Mikeal" (raised eyebrow going on here) and go and listen to one the albums you do like. As for my own opinion, lads (if you ever read this) it's a great album, not your best and it took me a while to get into it, but still better than 99.9% of all the other shite that was churned out last year.

I just really dislike it when people put bands on pedastels only to cast them down when they produce something they don't like. Ask yourself this, could you produce a better album than Ghost Reveries?

Thought not.

Powers said:
I just really dislike it when people put bands on pedastels only to cast them down when they produce something they don't like. Ask yourself this, could you produce a better album than Ghost Reveries?

Thought not.

Yeah, and if they can do better, please show us, cos that would be a really good album! :kickass:

I will not mention anything about taste or your devotion to the earlier stuff we've done, but for me it's clear some of you guys simply are not on the same wavelength as us in the band and me in particular writing the songs, and you need to move on. "Hours of wealth" is a song I was particulary proud of and it is actually not the fruit of many hours of rehearsals (that comment that we shouldn't rehearse was bordering to stupid, sorry!) but was actually done in the studio. The vocals done in one take and I have a certain connection with this song and if you don't get "it" I won't even bother trying to hype it. We're a phase of "your" musical evolution but maybe your journey ends here and you need to move into new territories?

I never reply to stuff like people don't like us, cause believe me, I hear more complaints and how "opeth suck" these days that I can't be bothered, but coming down on "HOW" is an attack that I feel the need to comment on. And "Isolation years"...man, that's on of my personal fave opeth song ever and I was literally in tears singing it. I feel gutted that somebody can take the piss out of GR so completely that I actually feel the need to respond and I feel angry. Plain and simple, your opinion is noted but by no means will I contemplate what you said because you're there and I am here, simple as that...

Best regards
Mike

here ya go

Edit:shiz he already put a link to the comment...w/e now its here for everyone to see without having to click again! lol

hmmm... i do agree with powers and moony to a certain point. but it IS a forum, where you just tell people our opinion. people always have different opinions so i dont see a problem with saying 'nah i dont think this is as good as that'. just as long as you respect other peoples opinions as well, and dont get too personal.

Yes but it's like "oh Opeth...we love you, we love you, we love you, we love you, we love you...oh you made an album i didn't like, well now your fucking rubbish!" er...no. Trust me, they're not writing music to please you and if you don't like it...erm...tough, the Opeth lads are the ones with the instruments and recording contract you are not.

If you want to make a perfect album do it yourself, and don't expect a abnd who don't even know who the Hell you are to try and please your every whim.

:cry: Oh noes! Opeth made an album I didn't like.

Who ever started the thread, to be honest you know, I don't think the fact that you didn't like Ghost Reveries actaully affected it's sales that much, hmmm I wonder why?

biggsy said:
http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4406669#post4406669

right near the end of the page

for best effects, read all the slagging before, and all the arse kissing afterwards:)

enjoy!

That is awesome. If the posts following page 1 were any further up Mikeals arse then we wouldn't be able to tell where he ends and the posters begin.

Basic jist of the thread: Guy says Ghost Reveries is shit, Mike replies "Well we like it so, fuck off", people who agreed with thread starter proceed to suck up to Mike. He is their God after all, you never know, he might send a plague to your village because you didn't like his new album :worship:

Led Opeth said:
GR has some of the most intense drumming lopez has ever layed down, the riffs are heavy as fuck,the solos are classic, the keys are way more than i hoped for, the lyrics are great...the vocals are even more evil, and his clean vocals are even more serene and still leave me in awe....GR is one of their best albums imo...probobly beaten only by still life

I do not know if it was intentional, but I think Ghost Reveries taps people emotionally in a wider range than the other albums. IMO "Beneath the Mire" is the best song on the album, because it shows there incredible diversity flawlessly throughout the song. Ironically, it is the number one downloaded song by Opeth on the itunes music store.

This is one album I can put in my cd player, and simply hit play, and enjoy from start to finish.