ghost reveries is a weak album?

Something I just found out (I am sure all of you knew) is that GR was supposed to be a concept album, however Isolation Years was still included even though it is not part of the story.

But I like GR- and LOVE the first two tracks on it- Baying of the Hounds is a current favorite song for me. :)

captain-insano said:
At least this isnt one of those fucking "If you found out jim bob the drummer was gay would you still like the band" threads.
Martin Lopez is the drummer you fucking idiot.

Beneath the Mire is still my favourite Opeth song since Still Life. You're all just idiots.

Rick from Oddyssey said:
Concerning Ghost Reveries, I think what bugs some people is probably the fact that it's a bit overproduced. M. Akerfeldt stated in an interview that Jens Bogren can be really picky with the takes he uses on an album, everything has to be perfect, in pristine condition, or he scraps the takes. No room for imperfections, therefore no room for what I call the "human abstract" which often makes a song (or whatever form of art, for that matter) unique and breathtaking. And that can have an effect on the overall "spontaneous" feel also. I think it's a great album, though. Just a bit overproduced... !
...you want spontaneous....go to an Opeth Concert...i dont go to a concert to hear the band play and sound exactly like on the album, i go to hear the spontaneous mishaps (mikes windowpane solo at NYC lol) and to hear the "not over produced" sound of their live rigs and what not...i dunno im just rambling now, but does anyone agree with me?

BRI said:

Beneath the Mire is still my favourite Opeth song since Still Life. You're all just idiots.
+1....like i said before GR is 2nd on my list, and 1st is Still Life

Led Opeth said:
...you want spontaneous....go to an Opeth Concert...i dont go to a concert to hear the band play and sound exactly like on the album, i go to hear the spontaneous mishaps (mikes windowpane solo at NYC lol) and to hear the "not over produced" sound of their live rigs and what not...i dunno im just rambling now, but does anyone agree with me?

I have seen Opeth 4-5 times in concert already, and I agree with you 100 %. Opeth are an amazing live act! We were just discussing the album in a constructive criticism point of view, exchanging opinions and all...

Cheers !

well yea i know that lol, but im just saying, why would you buy an album and expect it to be spontaneous?..unless its a live recorded album, its always gonna be perfect unless its a shit band

blimey said:
Can't agree more. It's also the softer parts in BotH and R/HF that "don't cut it" for me.

Yeah exactly, people are always saying how 'epic' the mellow section of BotH is but actually i think its kinda boring.. i forget that the music is playing and drift off and sometimes even start humming some other track in my head while that part is on. Its a big shame, theres lots of random cool bits in GR but its just not as consistant as Opeth can be.

EG) The ''Wept for solace and submit to faith'' bit in beneath the mire is really good, but the rest of the track isnt all that diverse or interesting, making it IMO Opeth's first 'filler' track.

The first part of harlequin forest is great before it turns into To Bid You Farewell Part II then finishes ridiculously repititivley.

6 mins 30 on TGC is a spine grabber, the rest of the track isnt much really.

Overall the only full track that I am totally satisfied with on the album is Ghost of Perdition. And cos it was the first track on the album maybe that kinda made the rest a big anticlimax cos I was expecting so much more after that track blew the shit out of me.

GR is disappointing by Opeth standards, as was Deliverance.

Put it this way - if you played GR to a newbie, what's there to make them go WOW? Nothing. Sure there are some impressive moments. I certainly love The Grand Conjuration and moreso Beneath The Mire which is quite innovative but as on overall product I would DEFINITELY play Morningrise or Blackwater Park ahead of GR.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying GR is a bad album, but it's certainly nothing special either. I have plenty of far more impressive albums in my collection.

Opeth are one of my favourite bands, but I was recently asked which five albums would I take to a deserted island (one with a powerpoint apparently) and only one Opeth album made the list or even came close.

To me the album was pretty damn good. (As all Opeth albums)

My only gripe would be the "concept" that I wished was there. First Mike said he wanted to link "Delivernace" and "Damnation" into a concept in early rehersals. Then said the same about "Ghost Reveries" ,but unfortantly both fell through.

Im really dying for a concept album. To me MAYH and Still Life will always be at the top of my favorite cd list. The lyrics/music fit the mood so well on those albums. They are just f'n awesome. I really feel "Ghost Reveries" could have caught me the same if the story was completed. The music was really dark and moving.

Dont get me wrong though. I love the new album.

BastardSonOfGod said:
Compadre...no puedo creer que digas que no hay sentimieto en aquellas canciones... el album en si tiene un feeling especial, una vibra que ningun otro album tiene!. Me sorprendio tu comentario ya que para mi es un gran album... Y un consejo... aca son bravos, si atacas a la banda mejor te atienes a las consecuencias jajajaja :lol:... yo una vez me puse a pelear y creeme, se defienden con todo jajajaja :lol:

I agree completely. jajajajajaja :headbang:

daz436 said:
i wish you would die

sorry but you left yourself too open for that one

haha actually as i wrote that post i though: someone will surely tell me they wish id die:p just as well you did it nice and polite like, or i wouldve flamed you for a 'really well thought out insult, needing a whole 10 brain cells.':lol:

cheers mate!

BRI said:

Rofl @ BtM being someones favorite song.

daz436 said:
Yeah exactly, people are always saying how 'epic' the mellow section of BotH is but actually i think its kinda boring.. i forget that the music is playing and drift off and sometimes even start humming some other track in my head while that part is on. Its a big shame, theres lots of random cool bits in GR but its just not as consistant as Opeth can be.

EG) The ''Wept for solace and submit to faith'' bit in beneath the mire is really good, but the rest of the track isnt all that diverse or interesting, making it IMO Opeth's first 'filler' track.

The first part of harlequin forest is great before it turns into To Bid You Farewell Part II then finishes ridiculously repititivley.

6 mins 30 on TGC is a spine grabber, the rest of the track isnt much really.

Overall the only full track that I am totally satisfied with on the album is Ghost of Perdition. And cos it was the first track on the album maybe that kinda made the rest a big anticlimax cos I was expecting so much more after that track blew the shit out of me.

Rofl at not understanding the mellow parts in Baying of the Hounds. I think the division of people who enjoy the album and those who don't enjoy the album as much is whether they are more of a prog fan or metal head.

Originally Posted by EVH316

Put it this way - if you played GR to a newbie, what's there to make them go WOW? Nothing. Sure there are some impressive moments. I certainly love The Grand Conjuration and moreso Beneath The Mire which is quite innovative but as on overall product I would DEFINITELY play Morningrise or Blackwater Park ahead of GR.

I totally agree with you on that, I mean if you listen to it long enough it kind of grows on you. But it is definatly one of their worst albums. If GR was the first Opeth album that I heard I would be totally turned off, and probably never listen to them again.

Sorry, but that had to be said.