ghost reveries is a weak album?

_Transparent_ said:
everything since BWP is not as good. (but BWP is one of the best albums of any band, so what do you expect)

i would disagree there, i think ghost of perdition is one of the best tracks opeth have recorded.. shame the rest of the album isnt as consistant

I like all the different favorites people have.

Personally, I basically have to stop what I'm doing when Baying of the Hounds comes on. That song is a journey, and so f*ckin amazing.

GR is very good ! Not as brutal as MAYH or Deliverance, but that's fine with me.

What's with all the thread bashing ??? If you have something better to say, start your own fucking thread.

And if Jim Bob was gay I'd still listen to the music, but my support for the band wouldn't be the same. The last person I want leading a metal revolution is a flamboyant cocklover.

Ok, that addresses everything for now.

GR is weakER but not weak. it doesnt measure up to the others in my eyes, but i still really appreciate what the guys are trying to do. you cant experiment and get it 100% right the whole time.

Ghost Reveries are absolutelly not a weak album!
I am a great fan of Opeth since the beginning and god... I can remember the trembles I had listening for the fist time GR! even now I sake when I put the cd at LOUD! all the passages, the dynamics, the imagination to do such masterpiece takes to level Opeth to a degree that I haven't found in any other metal band nowadays. If you get the example of Dream Theater, they are extreemly perfect in every notes but their overall music is a bit boring or not motivating at all to hear. Opeth's Ghost Reveries can play with the perfection of the well balanced elements such musical dissonances and great clean melodies that I've never heard in other band. NEVER a band had cativated me more to hear than this new album of Opeth.

Just to say that Opeth is simply.. THAT! ;)

borknagar_ said:
my perception of the album is wrong?

GR is a good album but not amazing for me.... is amazing for you?

i'm not saying "GR is a weak album" , i'm trying to say "GR is less brutal than others"

do you think GR is equally brutal than deliverance? (the last power album before GR) i don't think so

Because you got your expectations up too high. As long as they come out with albums and they are decent. I will always love Opeth. Still original....

mbarys said:
Because you got your expectations up too high. As long as they come out with albums and they are decent. I will always love Opeth. Still original....
Thanks but the reason I have a shitload of posts on this forum isnt because I think Opeth are "decent". They're amazing, and we expect amazing things from them that they have proved to be capable of.

on first listen i thought GR was the first disappointing opeth album. it took me a while to get into it all. i was expecting something heavier, given what mikael said in the interview on the lamentations dvd. but once i got the album on vinyl, my perception of the album changed. i think opeth really nailed it with GR. the first four songs are all classic. i think with the exception of parts of the grand conjuration, the album is near perfect.

GR has some of the most intense drumming lopez has ever layed down, the riffs are heavy as fuck,the solos are classic, the keys are way more than i hoped for, the lyrics are great...the vocals are even more evil, and his clean vocals are even more serene and still leave me in awe....GR is one of their best albums imo...probobly beaten only by still life