ghost reveries is a weak album?

while gr is definitely opeth's worst effort, its with no doubt a shitty piece of "music"

this post is not to be taken seriously

To be honest, I've been liking Watershed less and less every time I listen to it. There is not a single song in the whole album that i actually ''enjoy''.

pretty amazingly lenni and aint_play said the same thing in the same moment (?)

i've never been to kind to ghost reveries, and i even think that at one point i said that i thought watershed was better than GR (in the first weeks watershed was out), but i think completely otherwise these days. i haven't felt the need to listen to watershed since i tired of it after 5 listens. as i aint play this said, i can't listen to a whole song without having a feeling that something is missing.

comparing the two albums i feel that at least ghost reveries had a general aim and direction (though i still think it has many drawbacks, the major one being the over the top keyboards on every song...). however, at least the songs are involving, there's a buildup and a climax, it can be quite fun to listen to. i just can't say the same things about watershed =/.

So far I like Ghost Reveries better than Watershed. But I have to say that when it came out I was not as enthusiastic as now about it; somehow it has grown on me or something.

It absolutely boggles my mind that people think this album is bad.

GOP,
BOTH,
BTM,
TGC,
Isolation Years = All win (and the others aren't bad).

If anything, one of their better albums.

I dont think the album is weak - just the pacing of it sucks - it really slows down in the middle, great record though, just not one of my favourites.

To offer a bit of contrast to all the above post on this page: Watershed is definitely way better than GR ....
I appreciate GR much more already than when it came out, but it still doesn't hold my attention for big parts of the album, mainly due to the fact that the songs have too many ideas put in them, it's not balanced enough. I'm sure that if this would have been the first album by Opeth i would have listened to, i wouldn't have bothered getting in to them so quickly.
On the other hand, amazing piece of music on GR ... (just not balanced enough, too dense).

Ghost Reveries rules. On my top three favorite Opeth albums. Great riffs, great dynamics, progressive as hell, great playing, great atmosphere.

Ghost Reveries rules!!!