GMD Poll: Darkthrone's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: There is no better way to celebrate Advent and the birth of our Lord and Savior then by spending the season listening to Darkthrone. Rank Darkthrone's 17 studio albums. Order and number each album 1-17. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 17 points, your second place album earns 16 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 9 albums. Lists with less than 9 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 17 albums, the first placed album will still get 17 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • You may not vote if you have fewer than 100 posts on the forum (The TechnicalBarbarity Rule)

At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Saturday January 6th to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit. Just rank them as you see them.

Soulside Journey (1991)
A Blaze in the Northern Sky (1992)
Under a Funeral Moon (1993)
Transilvanian Hunger (1994)
Panzerfaust (1995)
Goatlord (1996)
Total Death (1996)
Ravishing Grimness (1999)
Plaguewielder (2001)
Hate Them (2003)
Sardonic Wrath (2004)
The Cult is Alive (2006)
F.O.A.D. (2007)
Dark Thrones and Black Flags (2008)
Circle the Wagons (2010)
The Underground Resistance (2013)
Arctic Thunder (2016)

Last edited:
I dont own Panzerfaust and The Cult is Alive. Might give me a reason to finish off the collection.

I really love the black/crust/whatever albums. I wonder if we'll hear any of that "but other bands do that style so much better" nonsense, because no they fucking dont.

OK I should listen to Arctic Thunder. Haven't really followed the latest few albums, some of what I heard seemed boring, i.e. I remember really liking the song about leaving no cross unturned, but then I got bored listening to that entire album.

1. A Blaze in the Northern Sky
2. Panzerfaust
3. Under a Funeral Moon
4. Soulside Journey
5. Transilvanian Hunger
6. Goatlord
7. Total Death
8. Plaguewielder
9. Ravishing Grimness
10. Sardonic Wrath
11. Hate Them
12. The Underground Resistance
13. F.O.A.D
14. Arctic Thunder
15. The Cult is Alive
16. Circle the Wagons
17. Dark Thrones and Black Flags

Something like that. I don't give much of a shit about anything past Plaguewielder.

Under a Funeral Moon
Transilvanian Hunger
A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Ravishing Grimness
The Cult is Alive
Panzerfaust
Sardonic Wrath
F.O.A.D.
Dark Thrones and Black Flags
Circle the Wagons
Hate Them
Total Death
The Underground Resistance
Arctic Thunder
Plaguewielder
Soulside Journey
Goatlord

This was another instance where I started feeling bad about having certain albums ranked so low, particularly Total Death and Plaguewielder which I feel are two of their most underrated, but I suppose that's always going to be case when a bands discography is so large and for the most part pretty consistent.

Pure Holocaust is better than UAFM, though. Controversial opinion possibly - so are the peaks of ItNE and VV.

I kind of have an issue with the title track from UAFM - the opening riff always sounds really jarring and dumb when I put it on. I always have to reacoustom myself to that song. It’s strange.

Last edited:
UAFM, HLTO and DMDS are the unholy trinity of norwegian BM and everything else can suck my giant kvlt testicles

Ildjarn, Forest Poetry and Strength and Anger (and Folkloric Necro Metal) are the best Norwegian black metal albums.

Nah, I'm pretty much joking even though I love the high art that Ildjarn offered the world. Your list seems fine if we kick Hvis Lyset Tar Oss off and add Pure Holocaust in its place. As long as we agree that Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk isn't even in the discussion for top Norwegian albums since it's pretentious and unfocused garbage.