GMD Poll: Judas Priest’s Discography Ranked

#10 Redeemer of Souls (2014)

409799.jpg

Average Points: 6.66/17
Well I feel bad not trying this before voting, listening now and impressed.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Of the ones I have listened to:

5. British Steel
4. Defenders of the Faith
3. Jugulator
2. Sad Wings of Destiny
1. Painkiller

Could have also gone in controversial options on metal.

The more I listen to Sad Wings the more obvious its inferiority relative to the following two albums becomes. Best three made it to the top three and Screaming for Vengeance rightfully put Defenders in its place, so no complaints.

Reactions: The Ozzman
I voted Sad Wings #1 - I'll grant that there's something more "quintessentially Priest" about albums like Stained Class and British Steel, but the beauty of Sad Wings transcends the stylistic conventions Priest established after it, and shouldn't be judged by those conventions.

Reactions: CiG
SWoD is clearly the best Priest album and I'd argue the greatest traditional heavy metal album period. Every track is great, without exception.

Painkiller is a worthy second in my eyes, but obviously it's a totally different style and more superficial by nature. Of their older stuff, Sin After Sin would be in the discussion if it weren't for "Last Rose of Summer" but even then, the first two songs on side B are strong but not exceptional.

As for Stained Class, the opening four tracks aee masterful, but after that, there's a drop in quality. Invaders, Savage, and Heroes End are all solid, but are nothing exceptional.

Sad Wings is still a little derivative of its influences and the faster/more immediate "rocker"-type songs aren't energetic enough to surpass the best of said influences, let alone the best of Sin After Sin or Stained Class. They were still working out the glitches at that point.

Screen%20Shot%202017-05-29%20at%2010.23.30%20AM_zps5wnj7dt9.png

Here's a comp. of our ratings to those by other websites and RYM. In contrast to Black Sabbath, which was ranked relatively consistently, these lists are all over the place. Absolutely no agreement at #1, with each list having a different #1 (I guess that's a credit to Priest). The bottom three seems to be the only constant.

Reactions: Bloopy