GMD Poll: Judas Priest’s Discography Ranked

I was busy this weekend so sorry for missing the fallout of my jab at @crimsonfloyd, but it honestly blows my mind that someone would single out Last Rose of Summer as the most offensive track on Sin After Sin while giving Here Come the Tears a complete pass.

the vocals are cloy and saccharine
How do I know you're not saying that just because you think anything with an optimistic/sentimental mood isn't what Priest is "supposed to" sound like?

Here Come the Tears' lyrics could've been written by a 13 year old, and regardless of that Halford's metal screams are clearly over-the-top in a song this downbeat/melancholy. To me it's a classic case of a metal band failing at a style that demands more subtlety than their signature style. Maybe Priest had no more business experimenting with the sentimentalism of Last Rose than they did with the melancholy of Here Come the Tears, but Last Rose at least has a subtlety that's sorely lacking on Here Come the Tears.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I still love Hear Come the Tears, but yeah, it's easily the most melodramatic and cheesy song on the album. Neither of those qualities are mutually exclusive to loving Priest for me, if anything they're a part of the package, but I think ultimately a lot of people just find Last Rose outside of their musical comfort zone and are trying to rationalize other reasons for not liking it.

Here's another opinion on these two songs from the reviewer I quoted in the "non-metal music you like" thread a while ago:
I can count only one serious misfire: the overblown operatic ballad 'Here Come The Tears'. It's fashioned so disgustingly in accordance to the classic laws of all power ballads that it simply reeks. Opening melancholic acoustic guitar? You got it. Screaming "emotive" vocals? Sure, especially in the laughable 'I want to be lo-o-o-o-ua-ua-ua-ved!!' section. An onslaught of monotonous power chords and an obligatory 'cathartic' guitar solo? Right away, sir. I hate this song, it's so dang worthy of similar efforts by Aerosmith...

Which is not to say I hold similar emotions for 'Last Rose Of Summer'. When I first heard the song, I couldn't believe my ears... I almost figured I was listening to a San Francisco band like Love or a particularly expressive Stevie Winwood ballad. The song's got impeccable harmonies, gorgeous vocal hooks, blistering guitar interplay (slightly 'phased out' acoustic rhythm and economic, but tasteful electric licks woven around), and a lengthy coda which burns into your brain as one member of the band chants 'last rose of summer' and Halford wails in the background a la Robert Plant. Certianly the least idiosyncratic song in the entire Judas Priest canon.
http://starling.rinet.ru/music/judas.htm

I was busy this weekend so sorry for missing the fallout of my jab at @crimsonfloyd, but it honestly blows my mind that someone would single out Last Rose of Summer as the most offensive track on Sin After Sin while giving Here Come the Tears a complete pass.

How do I know you're not saying that just because you think anything with an optimistic/sentimental mood isn't what Priest is "supposed to" sound like?

Stop overcomplicating the reasons why I think a weak song is weak. Priest have numerous optimistic and/or sentimental songs and most of them work. This one doesn't.

Here Come the Tears' lyrics could've been written by a 13 year old, and regardless of that Halford's metal screams are clearly over-the-top in a song this downbeat/melancholy. To me it's a classic case of a metal band failing at a style that demands more subtlety than their signature style. Maybe Priest had no more business experimenting with the sentimentalism of Last Rose than they did with the melancholy of Here Come the Tears, but Last Rose at least has a subtlety that's sorely lacking on Here Come the Tears.

Here Comes the Tears is a raw and direct communication of pain and loneliness. It is executed perfectly from start to finish with excellent development, and musicianship and vocals that illustrate the lyrical theme. The fact that you would even think of comparing it to Last Rose of Summer damages your credibility.

The fact that you would even think of comparing it to Last Rose of Summer damages your credibility.
Actually it's a pretty common thing to discuss a metal band's ballads separately from their other material, but good to know you're the authority on credibility around here.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
#17 Jugulator (1997)

2148.jpg

Average Points: 1.77/17

In high school I had this thing with my parents that when I did all my homework for X days (i forget the length of time) they'd buy me an album of my choice. I had heard some JP classics on the radio and Breaking the Law on Beavis and Butthead and so I asked for a JP album one time. They bought me the latest one which was Jugulator. Oh god it was such garbage, even back then. That was my first JP album and I thought so poorly of them for awhile. Until one day I went to visit an uncle who was swearing off of metal, and gave me his old school JP and Black Sabbath collections. Thank goodness for that.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
#16 Nostradamus (2008)

201005.jpg

Average Points: 3.88/17

The cabaret singing, overstated keys, drown out guitar, god awful lyrics, god awful concept and unforgivably dragged out pacing make this a release that only a ridiculously huge fan could love. I am a ridiculously huge fan (I even love Point of Entry and Turbo), and one must understand that the band has already achieved everything of importance that they could (in the 70's). They're old now. They're fucking old now.

#12 Turbo (1986)

443.jpg

Average Points: 6.03/17

Turbo is a bit more commercial sounding than Point of Entry, but at least they sound like they actually tried on Turbo. More than half of the songs on Point of Entry either sound boring (Troubleshooting, Solar Angels, Turning Circles), or just plain stupid (You Say Yes, All the Way).

In conclusion, Turbo is better, because it's fun to listen to without sounding dumb. It's a nice party album.

Last edited: