GMD Poll: Death's Discography Ranked

well this isn't going to count in any vote, but I'd say Leprosy was the best sound they ever reached. Which is quite a negative perspective seeing as it was only like their second album so they peeked two years into their career lol. A lot of very, very ordinary stuff after that early 90's slew of albums (not that those were masterpieces either).

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
well this isn't going to count in any vote, but I'd say Leprosy was the best sound they ever reached. Which is quite a negative perspective seeing as it was only like their second album so they peeked two years into their career lol. A lot of very, very ordinary stuff after that early 90's slew of albums (not that those were masterpieces either).

Symbolic was good, but otherwise, this.

Reactions: Dak
I would go just for how I enjoy the albums nowadays instead the more rational approach to them.

1. The Sound of Perseverance (1998)
  2. Symbolic (1995)
  3. Human (1991)
  4. Individual Thought Patterns (1993)
  5. Scream Bloody Gore (1987)
  6. Leprosy (1988)
  7. Spirtual Healing (1990)

TSOP is probably Chuck's most ambitious album, plus the performances are stellar. Scavenger is my fav Death song.

Symbolic was good, but otherwise, this.
It pays to be original right at the start of a movement. You didn't have to be an excellent song-writer during the late 80's/start of the 90's to become ultra famous in the death metal field, you just had to come up with a sound people didn't expect. Chuck Schuldiner is largely considered to be some sort of genius, but I've never heard one single genius riff in Death. Lots of pretty good musical ideas, some awful too, but nothing close to genius. Unfair, but it pays to be in the right place at the right time.

First time I hear this.
lol you're actually suggesting everybody else in the world thought at least a few Death riffs were indeed genius.
I'm going to propose a wild concept, and I do apologize for the seemingly sarcastic tone here but... what if I told you there's tonnnnnnns of people who think Death are severely overrated but don't voice their opinion publicly as they know it'll be met with a fanatic and blind fury they're not ready to spend time resisting, but I'm just speculating of course.

This ranking exercise is long-expired, but just for fun I'll post a list.

1 Individual Thought Patterns
2 Human
3 Symbolic
4 TSOP
5 Leprosy
6 Scream Bloody Gore
7 Spiritual Healing

The thing is, I consider all of their albums to be excellent.

Chuck's genius riffs were often written before his first album, like the Archangel intro riff or the Legion of Doom riff that got turned into a Spiritual Healing riff. Although the first verse riff of Spiritual Healing is a great riff too. And the intro Symbolic riff. Basically, he could write some excellent simple groovy riffs, but he totally fails at writing melodic ones because he barely knew how to write a melody.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Edit: Purely based on his "KoRn > Death" tag

iirc when I first started arguing with people on metal forums, probably on the BraveBoard and not this one, I had a "KoRn > Burzum" signature. He's probably the real deal.