GMD Poll: Megadeth's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Megadeth’s 15 studio albums. Order and number each album 1-15. Ties are OK (previously these weren't allowed, but I see now they're not gonna make my job any harder). Your first place album earns 15 points, your second place album earns 14 points, etc.

You may rank as few as 8 albums. Lists with less than 8 albums will not be counted. If you list less than 15 albums, the first placed album will still get 15 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.

At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until September 1st to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit. Just rank them as you see them.

Killing is My Business… and Business is Good! (1985)
Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying? (1986)
So Far, So Good… So What! (1988)
Rust in Peace (1990)
Countdown to Extinction (1992)
Youthanasia (1994)
Cryptic Writings (1997)
Risk (1999)
The World Needs a Hero (2001)
The System Has Failed (2004)
United Abominations (2007)
Endgame (2009)
Th1rt3en (2011)
Super Collider (2013)
Dystopia (2016)

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
1. Rust in Peace
2. Youthanasia
3. Countdown to Extinction
4. Peace Sells.... but Who's Buying
5. Endgame
6. Dystopia
7. So Far, So Good... So What!
8. Killing Is My Business... and Busines is Good!
9. The System Has Failed
10. Cryptic Writings
11. Th1rt3en
12. United Abominations
13. The World Needs a Hero
14. Super Collider
15. Risk

Last edited:
1) Rust In Peace
2) SFSGSW
3) Peace Sells
4) Cryptic Writings
5) Countdown to Extinction
6) Killing Is My Business
7) Endgame

8) The World Needs A Hero
9) Youthanasia
10) United Abominations
11) Dystopia
12) The System Has Failed
13) Th1rt3en
14) Risk
15) Super Collider

#2-7 can easily change by the day

Last edited:
Might try and make a list for this one. havent heard a bunch of these for a while though. Please dont make me listen to Th1rt3en ever again though.

If there existed a complete version of Killing with decent production it might actually top my list. Wish they could have worked the stick out of Nancy Sinatra's ass (or whoevers) and remastered that song properly. My cd version of the album has the track but beeps out the changed lyrics. Literally why the fuck would you do that?

Reactions: crimsonfloyd
I relistened to Super Collider last week. Literally have no idea why people think that is so bad.

I also don't like TSHF as much as in the past. The first half of the album is solid but loses steam after that.

I'll probably reorder the bottom half a bit should I choose to refresh myself on some of them, but...

1. Killing is My Business… and Business is Good! (1985)
2. Rust in Peace (1990)
3. Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying? (1986)
4. Cryptic Writings (1997)
5. So Far, So Good… So What! (1988)
6. Countdown to Extinction (1992)
7. Youthanasia (1994)
8. Dystopia (2016)
9. The System Has Failed (2004)
10. United Abominations (2007)
11. Endgame (2009)
12. Super Collider (2013)
13. The World Needs a Hero (2001)
14. Th1rt3en (2011)
15. Risk (1999)

Everything below Dystopia is 4/10-tier at best. If Hidden Treasures was allowed, I'd put it at 5th place.

Last edited:
Might try and make a list for this one. havent heard a bunch of these for a while though. Please dont make me listen to Th1rt3en ever again though.

If there existed a complete version of Killing with decent production it might actually top my list. Wish they could have worked the stick out of Nancy Sinatra's ass (or whoevers) and remastered that song properly. My cd version of the album has the track but beeps out the changed lyrics. Literally why the fuck would you do that?

I always wondered why that happened. It does take you out of the somg.

I love or at least like their first four albums. Couldn't get into Countdown to Extinction and haven't explored much beyond that album. Rust in Peace is likely my favorite. Friedman's leads are otherworldly.

He talked about it in his autobiography. He did that purposely but I can't remember the reason for it right now.

I'd rather hook my dick up to a car battery and turn the ignition over than read a Dave Mustaine autobiography but he did it to fuck me out of $10.

1. Countdown to Extinction
2. Rust in Peace
3. Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
4. The World Needs a Hero
5. Youthanasia
6. So Far, So Good... So What!
7. The System Has Failed
8. Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?
9. Cryptic Writings
10. Th1rt3en
11. Endgame
12. Dystopia
13. United Abominations
14. Risk
15. Super Collider

TWNAH was the last to have more than one song that really clicked with me. TSHF gains a spot or two as The Scorpion is a favourite, but Mustaine's recent formula just wears me down. Album openers like Sleepwalker and Kingmaker castrate themselves with dreary rock choruses. At least Cryptic Writings knows it's more of a rock album.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
1. Rust in Peace
2. Youthanasia
3. Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying?
4. Countdown to Extinction
5. Killing is My Business… and Business is Good!
6. So Far, So Good… So What!
7. Cryptic Writings
8. Risk

I quit Megadeth after Risk.