GMD Poll: Metallica's Albums Ranked

ugh stupid polls making me pick favourites
l choose by what l go back to and listen to the most...but that doesn't say much as last visited no 1 about 3 years ago..

1 . ...aJfA
2 . RtL
3. KeA
4. MoP
5. Load
6. Metallica
7. Reload
8. Death Magnetic
9. Hardwired
10. St Anger

Lulu' not a Metallica Album. defo if Garage Days was included it would be no 5 for me.

Last edited:
1. Ride the Lightning
2. Master of Puppets
3. Kill 'Em All
4. ...And Justice for All
5. Metallica
6. Load
7. ReLoad
8. Death Magnetic
9. Hardwired...to Self Destruct
10. St. Anger
11. LuLu

1. Master of Puppets (1986)
2. …and Justice for All (1988)
3. Kill ‘Em All (1983)
4. Metallica (1991)
5. Ride the Lightning (1984)
6. Hardwired… to Self Destruct (2016)
7. Death Magnetic (2008)
8. St. Anger (2003)
9. Load (1996)
10. ReLoad (1997)
11. LuLu (2011)

1. ...And Justice for All
2. Reload
3. Ride the Lightning
4. Kill 'Em All
5. Master of Puppets
6. Lulu
7. Load
8. Death Magnetic
9. St. Anger
10. Metallica
11. Hardwired...to Self Destruct

Garage Inc. introduced me to some fav bands and I'd rank it above MoP. Hardwired's good bits rip off their previous material to the point that it's uncomfortable, and it sounds as if they put less effort into their lyrics than ever.

Reload is a masterpiece of 90s alternative rock.
ln5NZ2K.gif
(Though not so keen on the singles, and 'Bad Seed' is way too Stone Temple Pilots)

Last edited:
@Baroque @Vegard Pompey @Burkhard @RadicalThrasher @Sirjack

Did ya'll list a small number of albums because you don't like the others or because you don't know them? If you don't know them, leave it as is, but if you didn't list them because you don't like them, I recommend you add the others.

For context, if you list 6 albums, your 6th placed album gets 1 point and your 5th placed album gets 3 points; if you list 11 albums, your 6th placed album gets 6 points and your 5th placed album gets 7 points.

Reactions: CiG
1. Ride the Lightning
2. Master of Puppets
3. ...And Justice for All
4. Kill 'Em All
5. Metallica
6. Load
7. Hardwired...to Self Destruct
8. ReLoad
9. St. Anger
10. Death Magnetic
99. LuLu

If I could include S&M I'd put that first.

Reactions: CiG
WTF is Lulu even on this list? Garage or S&M make more sense than that non-Metallica pos.

I don't count live or full-on cover albums. I was 50/50 on counting LuLu but decided to go for it, in part so that I could have an excuse to go back and read old comments on it.

Edit: I'm still kind of figuring out the perimeters of this game, but I'm thinking it will include all studio full-lengths of original material. Of course, I'm sure some other grey-area album will come up and fuck things up soon enough.

Reactions: Dak
  1. Ride the Lightning
  2. Master of Puppets
  3. …and Justice for All
  4. Kill ‘Em All
  5. Metallica
  6. Death Magnetic
  7. Load
  8. St. Anger
  9. ReLoad
  10. Hardwired… to Self Destruct
This is the first time I've ranked AJFA above KEA, either in my mind or by hand. I feel a bit dirty doing it, since there's a certain "purity" (or at least energy) in KEA that AJFA doesn't have. Ultimately, though, my opinion of Metallica as a band has more to do with the sheer brilliance of their best songwriting than whether they can rock as hard as 99999 other metal bands, and AJFA surely ranks higher on unique songwriting.

On the other hand, MOP tends to have "deeper" songwriting than RTL, but there are certain parts of MOP (esp. Sanitarium) which do not impress me at all, and parts of RTL where the relative simplicity is masterfully executed. "Fight Fire With Fire" holds few surprises for me after so many listens, but there's an unforgettable brilliance in the fine line it treads between melody/structure and brutality/chaos.

Again, my opinion of Stanger is very divided from song to song, and if it were stripped down to an EP of my three or four favorites it would rank about #6 on my list.

Only the top 6 albums can I usually stand listening to from end to end. Death Magnetic is quite mediocre, far more so than the s/t, but at least it's "consistent" (to borrow a term I hate). I imagine that after pissing so many people off with the previous three albums, they decided to play it safe and not take many risks, and for once I can say I appreciate a band for doing that.

Still, though I recall Hardwired being similarly consistent, it was just soooooo damn boring that I'd rather have the "mostly annoying but occasionally interesting" albums of their late career.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimsonfloyd
^ This is so very wrong.

And please, no pseudo-Machiavelli shit.
Uh, never attribute to Machiavelli that which is adequately explained by stupid taste in music, I guess? All but 1 of my top 10 fav Metallica songs are from either AJFA or Reload. Where the Wild Things Are is #3. It's been that way for a long time and I've never ranked them any differently. I did recently learn I had brain damage in my cerebellum though...

1) Ride the Lightning
2) Kill Em All
3) Master of Puppets
4) And Justice For All
5) Load
6) Metallica
7) Hardwired to Self Destruct
8) Death Magnetic
9) Reload
10) St. Anger
11) Lulu

@Baroque @Vegard Pompey @Burkhard @RadicalThrasher @Sirjack

Did ya'll list a small number of albums because you don't like the others or because you don't know them? If you don't know them, leave it as is, but if you didn't list them because you don't like them, I recommend you add the others.

For context, if you list 6 albums, your 6th placed album gets 1 point and your 5th placed album gets 3 points; if you list 11 albums, your 6th placed album gets 6 points and your 5th placed album gets 7 points.

yeah l got lazy, will edit now