GMD Poll: Metallica's Albums Ranked

Mathematically accurate rules should be taken very literally and require no "explaination"

Of course they do. For example, it seems you assumed an infinite set, when the set is actually 1-11.

"to be clarify", this is not how averages typically work. zeros are supposed to affect the average. you can define your own averages, but you create biases. This system does not find the best unbiased estimator of the average score.

The scale starts at one, so there is no way to give an album a zero. If you don't like an album, put it at the bottom.

i think the scoring's fine and more interesting than doing it the way, say, the top ten album threads are done. it means the results are less dependent on how many people have heard an album, gives obscure stuff a chance of ranking high. that said, it also makes me less likely to participate because in most cases i haven't heard all the albums by these bands, and ranking only, say, half the discography will typically lead to decent albums getting overly penalised.

Reactions: CiG
ranking only, say, half the discography will typically lead to decent albums getting overly penalised.
It is a bit weird, but if half of us rank all the albums then that penalty won't be too harsh. Albums further down the ladder will also be penalised somewhat whenever someone ranks 2/3 or 3/4 of the discography and so on. Anyway, you could always try adding up complete lists only and see what difference it makes to the end result.

KEA has grown for me over the years. Something about that energy. Black album over AJFA- probably the toughest choice as AJFA has a higher % of great songs, but Black is better overall also with one of my favorite tracks "Of Wolf And Man". Never been a huge fan of RTL, by far the weakest of their earlier works with half the album being fairly mediocre. The title track, Bell Tolls, Creeping Death, and Ktulu are amazing tracks. The rest just don't hold my interest much... Not bothering with the two joke albums.
  1. Master of Puppets (1986)
  2. Kill ‘Em All (1983)
  3. Metallica (1991)
  4. …and Justice for All (1988)
  5. Ride the Lightning (1984)
  6. ReLoad (1997)
  7. Load (1996)
  8. Hardwired… to Self Destruct (2016)
  9. Death Magnetic (2008)

A few things:

-And Justice For All has fucking One on it. How the hell is it not the best Metallica album?

-St. Anger is not a bad album. Not a great one, obviously, but it's a pretty extreme stretch to deem Death Magnetic better than it.

-The songs on Master of Puppets are superior to those on RTL, however I would rather listen to the latter as it seems more concise.

I'm really surprised how low Death Magnetic is being ranked by most people. It's gonna be 5th on my list, and by a fairly large margin. I think it has some really strong cuts that maintain their appeal and it's consistent, though it is longer than it needs to be.

better than the black album? can't agree with that

all about through the never and wolf and man

spot on. i really like the more normie-friendly 'the unforgiven' and 'wherever i may roam' too. stuff like 'holier than thou', 'the god that failed' and 'the struggle within' is crap though, it's a pretty mixed bag.

Reactions: CiG
Thinking of my list and I'm tempted to have The Black Album and Death Magnetic switch places. Looking at the track listing for TBA and I'm having a difficult time remembering anything about a handful on songs, especially on the second half of the album whereas a lot of Death Magnetic is quite catchy and stays in your head.

it's not really fair for me anyways, i'm pretty sure the black album was my first addicted metal album in like 6th or 7th grade. DM is just another release