GMD Poll: My Dying Bride's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank My Dying Bride's 13 albums plus the Trinity compilation, and number each album 1-14. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 14 points, your second place album earns 13 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 8 albums. Lists with less than 8 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 14 albums, the first placed album will still get 14 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • If you don't number your list then it will be assumed that it is ranked in order
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Saturday, April 3rd at 10:00 AM PST to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

As the Flower Withers (1992)
Turn Loose the Swans (1993)
Trinity (1995)
The Angel and the Dark River (1995)
Like Gods of the Sun (1996)
34.788%... Complete (1998)
The Light at the End of the World (1999)
The Dreadful Hours (2001)
Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)
A Line of Deathless Kings (2006)
For Lies I Sire (2009)
A Map of All Our Failures (2012)
Feel the Misery (2015)
The Ghost of Orion (2020)

Reactions: zerostatic
1. Turn Loose the Swans
2. The Angel and the Dark River
3. Trinity
4. 34.788%... Complete
5. As the Flower Withers
6. Like Gods of the Sun
7. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
8. The Dreadful Hours
9. A Line of Deathless Kings
10. The Ghost of Orion
11. A Map of All Our Failures
12. For Lies I Sire
13. Feel the Misery
14. The Light at the End of the World

Giving this thread a little bump. My Dying Bride have always been one of my very favourite bands and I've noticed their fans often have polarizing opinions on which are their best albums (a testament to the strength of their catalogue, I think!). So it's going to be real interesting to see people's lists...

I'm in the process of finalizing mine, which is no easy feat as I've had such a long standing love affair with them I often enjoy one album more than others at different times. But it is (going to be...) what it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostatic
I chose to omit the Trinity compilation from my list. Not because I don't like or recogonize it (on the contrary). I just didn't want to request being able to include the other EPs / Evinta etc. as well, which I would've wanted to if I had included Trinity. I found it hard enough just ranking the full-lengths :lol:

13. The Ghost of Orion (2020)

I know the band's been through a lot these past few years, line up changes, switching labels for the first time in their 30 year career, not to mention what Aaron's experienced in his personal life... But this album seemed a little pedestrian to me. Though I do like Your Broken Shore, the three instrumental / interlude tracks do little for me, so I must say I was disappointed. A very mature and sombre sounding affair, and undoubtedly My Dying Bride. But it's still not grown on me as much as I hoped it would. Hence it sitting at the bottom of my pile ...something had to!

12. 34.788%... Complete (1998)

The departure of violinist Martin Powell and perhaps reaching a point of gothic stagnation unsurprisingly coincides with the sole anomaly of the Bride’s career. A good album which I thoroughly enjoy, unworthy of any of the hate, but the lack of a truly dark atmosphere forces this album towards the bottom of my definitive My Dying Bride list.

11. A Map of All Our Failures (2012)

This is where ranking becomes problematic for me... These next 6 albums are separated by the smallest of margins. A Map of All Our Failures kind of announced a renewed heaviness following Evinta and For Lies I Sire, a real solid slab of doom metal. Kneel till Doomsday is one of their great openers.

10. As the Flower Withers (1992)

Probably the most, or only controversial placing within my list, and one I may sometimes regret a little (I love this album!). I do find it hard to view objectively though. I think a little more sure of itself than what some simply dismiss as a young band trying to find their style. Yet undoubtedly unrefined. The sparse violin adds scatterings of the avant-garde, hinting at the atmosphere which would make the subsequent albums so distinctively classic... Notably features another great opener, Sear Me. One of the definitive My Dying Bride songs.

9. For Lies I Sire (2009)

An album which I was disappointed with initially, but quickly grew on me more and more. I think the return of the violin after 13 years revitalized the songwriting a little, resulting in the varying styles on this one. Such a slick sounding album, and a great performance from Dan Mullins.

8. Feel the Misery (2015)

The opposite of For Lies I Sire in the sense that this album clicked with me straight away. Not sure how much input Calvin had in the writing process but his return is certainly evident. There's some awesome moments on this one, capturing the band’s essence while simultaneously diversifying their palette of sounds. To Shiver in Empty Halls is a highlight for me. Great artwork, too.

7. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)

This album has such a dark and oppressive atmosphere that I love. An almost ambient affair, with sporadic moments of spiteful heaviness. Aaron at times sounding among his most vicious - “dreams of filthy lust!”

6. A Line of Deathless Kings (2006)

Kind of a stripped back sound on this album, obviously no violin, the keys are a background feature and Aaron mostly neglects his harsh vocals until the final moments of The Blood, the Wine, the Roses. But the guitarwork really shines and the strength of the riffs make this one memorable for me. And kind of tops what you could call my “2nd tier” albums.

5. The Light at the End of the World (1999)

I guess this marks the beginning of my “top tier” albums. After the experimentation of 34.788%… the band returned with The Light at the End of the World and all but stripped away the ornamentation. Without any violin or many keys, it's more guitar driven, with tons of melodies and intertwining riffs. More conventionally heavy, if you like. That being said with Andy the sole guitarist here, it could be among his crowing achievements because I think it achieves exactly what was desired. Featuring yet again another great opener in She Is The Dark, this album sounds like a band set on making a statement and cementing their already firm place among the doom metal elite.

4. Like Gods of the Sun (1996)

Experiencing some success around this time on Like Gods of the Sun I think they commercialized their sound as far as possible without removing its distinctive elements. Although this album admittedly does eradicate the “death” … making it probably their most listenable and accessible album, a negative if it wasn't packed with such quality.

Disclaimer: The upper echelon of my “top tier”. These three are my very favourites, and for the most part could be interchangeable. (I would've tied them but felt that'd be a bit of a cop out and I wanted to rank them in sequence)

3. Turn Loose the Swans (1993)

From the opening moments this album is a serious artistic statement. It's so much more refined than the debut on every level. Aaron demonstrates an overwhelmingly obvious leap in his vocals, juxtaposing growls with cleans to great affect. Martin becomes a full time member and the violin's subsequently more prominent, which further magnifies the significantly more accomplished and dynamic instrumentalism. A landmark in avant-garde death / doom, and a stone cold classic. Love the artwork too. And that each of the three formats (CD, vinyl and cassette) featured different covers, shows you how much the band considered it an artistic experience.

2. The Angel and the Dark River (1995)

As I said before this and Turn Loose the Swans are kind of interchangeable for me, but I've ranked this one higher as I consider it the archetypal My Dying Bride album (even if Aaron is exclusively clean throughout). With the great opener, The Cry of Mankind, this album strides into more gothic territories. Drenched in incredible emotion courtesy of Martin's swooning violin and piano passages and Aaron's masterfully dejected crooning. Some of the band's most depressing and atmospheric songs sandwiched between some of my favourite heavy moments in the entire discography. From the massive riff at the end of From Darkest Skies, which is accompanied by some booming drumming and that ominous organ, to the brilliance of a Sea to Suffer In, to the latter stages of Your Shameful Heaven, where Aaron manages to convey malice through clean vocals. Another stone cold classic.

1. The Dreadful Hours (2001)

My personal favourite. And (perhaps not coincidentally) my introduction to the band. This is one I know others may not rank so highly, so I simply had to. It has such a dense texture I find relaxing and cathartic, shifting between bludgeoning ugly heaviness and rich dream-like melodies. Each song flowing together seamlessly as if it were a concept album. A lot of that being down to the keys being so prominent and high in the mix – which helps make this album's haunting atmosphere. Love the lavishly thick production, and there's some monumental riffs on this. Probably Shaun's finest moment in the band too, his fills and drumming in general is excellent throughout. Also maybe in the minority on this but I'm a big fan of Aaron's cover painting. An unusual and unorthodox choice for a metal album cover maybe, but I love it and it just adds to the overall aesthetic.

Last edited:
To be honest even though I've listened to all the later albums a lot (The Ghost of Orion naturally being the least) I did struggled to rank them objectively within the context of their legacy and my 'favourites' of their career.

Also for what it's worth I find your list rather agreeable Oblivious. Their early approach was awesome, so it's unsurprising to see the preliminary works so high. And 34.788%... Complete is actually quite an admirable record. Was kind of surprised to see The Light at the End of the World bottom, but then I was expecting, and kind of hoping to see some really differing placings!

To be honest even though I've listened to all the later albums a lot (The Ghost of Orion naturally being the least) I did struggled to rank them objectively within the context of their legacy and my 'favourites' of their career.

Also for what it's worth I find your list rather agreeable Oblivious. Their early approach was awesome, so it's unsurprising to see the preliminary works so high. And 34.788%... Complete is actually quite an admirable record. Was kind of surprised to see The Light at the End of the World bottom, but then I was expecting, and kind of hoping to see some really differing placings!
I admit I'm still a bit hostile towards Light just because it seemed like such a conscious step backwards after the exciting detour of 34.788%. We've gone over this before but clearly the response to that album got to them. With The Dreadful Hours onward they really refocused. I don't dislike any of those later albums, in fact Feel the Misery has some of the best of their more recent songs. Great production on that one, too. Those last few save for Light are probably going to be really flexible the more I listen to those albums but for now the lists stands.

Reactions: Podgie
We go back to voting for the next set of discographies after this, right?

I jammed the first two MDB albums recently and as much as I do like them, I don't think I can handle going through their whole discography. It feels like time fucking drags when they're playing. Whatever I used to love about this band is either no longer there for me or I'm just not in the right mood and likely won't be for some time.

We go back to voting for the next set of discographies after this, right?

I jammed the first two MDB albums recently and as much as I do like them, I don't think I can handle going through their whole discography. It feels like time fucking drags when they're playing. Whatever I used to love about this band is either no longer there for me or I'm just not in the right mood and likely won't be for some time.

Yes this is the last band from the last batch. And it's funny because I have to be in a certain mood to listen to most doom metal, but My Dying Bride is one of the few I can turn on just about any day and be good with. They were one of the first underground metal bands I got into though, so I have a pretty strong psychological bond with their music.

Reactions: CiG
1) the angel and the dark river
2) the light at the end of the world
3) the dreadful hours
4) like gods of the sun
5) songs of darkness, words of light
6) turn loose the swans
7) trinity
8) as the flower withers
9) 34.788%... complete
10) a line of deathless kings

1) Turn Loose the Swans
2) The Dreadful Hours
3) The Light at the End of the World
4) The Angel and The Dark River
5) As the Flower Withers
6) Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
7) A Line of Deathless Kings
8) Feel the Misery
9) A Map of All Our Failures
10) Like Gods of the Sun
11) Ghost of Orion

Reactions: Podgie
1. Turn Loose the Swans
2. The Angel and the Dark River
3. The Dreadful Hours
4. The Light at the End of the World
5. For Lies I Sire
6. As the Flower Withers
7. Like Gods of the Sun
8. Trinity
9. A Map of All Our Failures
10. Feel the Misery
11. 34.7888% Complete
12. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
13. A Line of Deathless Kings
14. The Ghost of Orion

1. The Light at the End of the World
2. 34.788%... Complete
3. Turn Loose the Swans
4.The Angel and the Dark River
5. Songs of Darkness, Words of Light
6. A Map of All Our Failures
7. Feel the Misery
8. The Dreadful Hours
9. Trinity
10. As the Flower Withers
11. A Line of Deathless Kings
12. Like Gods of the Sun
13. For Lies I Sire
14. The Ghost of Orion

14) The Ghost of Orion (2020)

R-14891817-1587662313-1379.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 1.8/14

I know the band's been through a lot these past few years, line up changes, switching labels for the first time in their 30 year career, not to mention what Aaron's experienced in his personal life... But this album seemed a little pedestrian to me. Though I do like Your Broken Shore, the three instrumental / interlude tracks do little for me, so I must say I was disappointed. A very mature and sombre sounding affair, and undoubtedly My Dying Bride. But it's still not grown on me as much as I hoped it would. Hence it sitting at the bottom of my pile ...something had to!