GMD Poll: Overkill's Discography Ranked

#16 Immortalis (2007)

R-3017435-1311900523.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.4/18

bad. it sounds more like a rock album and less thrash and isn't that heavy and is just all around boring, relix was a lot better and all the albums before were even better. i'm also not one of those people who says OMG THE NEW ALBUMS OF ALL BANDS ARE GHEY ONLY THE DEMOS ARE GOOD since i liked relix but this album just doesn't cut it, i was disappointed except for the first track which i liked.

Everything after Horrorscope isn't worth owning.

Last edited:
#14 ReliXIV (2005)

67049.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.2/18

And ReliXIV sounds fucking ARRRHARRGHAAARRARRRARRR THRASHTASTIC MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!

Well, I was listening to ReliXIV today, and I realized that the album is really fucking good. And that's what this thread is for, to share your opinions on ReliXIV and where it ranks for your favourite Overkill album... One of their most inspired, energetic, and overall fun records in a longass time. OVERKILL WILL NEVER DIE!!!

#13 I Hear Black (1993)

MI0002429138.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.25/18

....Their weakest album. I remember being very disappointed when it first came out. The songs kinda lost something, not as aggressive........

There might be one or two decent songs on it. Overall, though, I've listened to it about three times in the seven years I've had it.

When it first came out, I hated it. I thought it was their attempt at their "Black album." Especially when you consider Horrorscope right before it! And the production was pretty weak, the drums sounded like trash cans..

Now, years later, I like a few songs off of this cd. Dreaming In Columbian, World Of Hurt, Feed My Head.. that's good stuff.

#12 W.F.O.

R-728846-1356059752-4882.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.54

Is it just me, or was W.F.O. terribly underrated?

They to me, rebounded nicely with W.F.O. The one thing you can count on from Overkill, is that they aren't going to sell out or soften...just good old ass-kicking thrash!!

#11 The Killing Kind (1996)

R-568129-1409692976-6107.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.55/18

The Killing Kind - probably the Overkill album I've heard least, but while there is some obnoxious garbage here, there are these brief weird/different parts peppered over that actually work, as well as some fun straight-forward tuffguy groove, 5/10

Last edited:
#9 The Electric Age (2012)

329002.jpg

Average points per vote: 8.49/18

Killer album!! High energy killer riffs! Bobby Blitz sounds exactly the same as he did the 80s & DD is the best bass player in metal behind Steve Harris & Geezer but the band has the energy that bands like Metallica Megadeth & even Slayer have lost sorry I hate the sound & guitar tone on WPB. Overkill is just a cool band cool album covers too

#6 The Grinding Wheel (2017)

617189.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.39/18

***Winner of the "Their Best Album Since..." Award

17. The Grinding Wheel - the issues of The Electric Age but with an Ironbound runtime, eek, 2/10

For the record all these HamburgerBoy quotes are because literally nobody has ever said anything about some of these albums on the forum before.

#5 Under the Influence (1988)

R-740991-1360141764-8865.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 11.26/18

Yeah, it's a pretty great album. By the way, I meant to ask you something earlier but never got the chance. Why do you dislike Under the Influence? I don't find it to be too remarkable in comparison to Overkill's other albums (considering the peaks they achieved on Feel the Fire or Horrorscope, for example) but I've never severely disliked it.

I gave it a recent relisten and it was a little better than I remembered, but there are to many Anthraxy bits, chuggy simple riffs but weak production which don't complement each other. Doesn't have as much individual identity either, many of the riffs were either generic or sounded copied from other bands. The best songs seemed to be after the first couple though. This was my autistic track rating when I listened to it:

Hello From The Gutter - 3.5/5 (has those light punk chords in the intro riff, one of the riffs reminds me of Maiden's Sanctuary, simple but fun)
Head First - 3/5 (kinda Anthrax but this one gets the pace right
Drunken Wisdom - 2.5/5 (slower groovy parts are good, later faster parts are so-so)
End Of The Line - 2.5/5 (main riff has that Children of the Grave rhythm, bassline a bit of Maiden, sing-a-long chorus, actually this is the song with the Phantom of the Opera middle-section, not Overkill III, overall decent but not remarkable)
Mad Gone World - 2.5/5 (has a syncopated chug combined with quasi-rapped vocals that gives it a proto-RATM feel, actually I think Exodus' Within the Walls of Chaos took after this a bit, pretty interesting and I how like some of the leads come out, but the chorus is crap and these Metallica-ish bits hurt it too)
Overkill III (Under the Influence) - 2.5/5
Brainfade - 1.5/5
Shred - 1.5/5 ("Simply stated / in a word", living up to its Anthrax memory so far, boring but also disjointed)
Never Say Never - 0.5/5

#3 Feel the Fire (1985)

1035.jpg

Average points per vote: 15.6/18

First place votes: 2

What's so good about Overkill? Think the only album I listened to was Immortalis, and the only track I liked off the whole album was Walk through Fire.

Hah! Seriously.

Feel The Fire is a great album. I cannot stress this enough.

Agreed, I haven't been able to get enough of Feel the Fire lately. Awesome stuff.

I stand corrected. The lyrical work isn't the greatest but the music compensates.

#2 Horrorscope (1991)

R-1994870-1355508141-3724.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 16.27/18

First place votes: 3

I liked everything up to Under The Influence but
when Bobby changed his vocals to a high pitched style on Horrorscope my interest in that band just dropped ever since.

Horrorscope and The New Order are some of the greatest thrash albums ever made. Period.

Overkill- This band is so constant, always putting out albums every couple of years, and good ones too. So many of their older albums are so kick a**, but personally I love Horrorscope...

#1 The Years of Decay (1989)

61FKVkQMHnL.jpg

Average points per vote: 16.84/18

First place votes: 2

Its a more enjoyable better executed album. More fun and energetic songs plus more heavy crushing riffs certainly help. No throw away instrumentals either. The Years of decay just has a lot more attitude than Master of puppets.

I have always found The Years of Decay boring. The songs are too fucking long and nothing innovative is introduced.

The only essential Overkill album is Years of Decay.