GMD Poll: Overkill's Discography Ranked

Bobby Blitz Ellsworth is already one of my favorite thrash singers.
His godawful shrieking is the main reason I can't get into the band. Blah blah cadence, tone, technical ability blah intrinsically flawed blah.

Half the songs on that album are the death metal equivalent to this:

Whut

Overkill - Second-rate thrash band that couldn't even beat Anthrax into the big four even though they pre-dated them.

Morbid Angel - Seminal top-tier death metal band that released several classics.

Tiers/rate-ness mean nothing. Morbid Angel was more influential and original but they have just two albums better than good. And even still I'd probably limit the praise of their creativeness to Altars only.

It's not like death metal has a 'big 4' anyways. Who would that even be? Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel, and Death in that order? Actually, Six Feet Under has probably outsold Death anyways. Like wow those are clearly the four/five greatest bands in all of death metal aren't they?

You forgot the new one

Haven't heard it, doubt I need to

Morbid Angel have two top tier death metal records and two good albums. Certainly a better band overall than Overlill. This shouldn’t even be up for discussion!

1. Horrorscope (1991)
2. The Grinding Wheel (2017)
3. The Years of Decay (1989)
4. White Devil Armory (2014)
5. Under the Influence (1988)
6. Taking Over (1987)
7. Feel the Fire (1985)
8. Ironbound (2010)
9. ReliXIV (2005)
10. I Hear Black (1993)
11. Immortalis (2007)
12.The Electric Age (2012)
13. W.F.O. (1994)
14. Killbox 13 (2003)
15. From the Underground and Below (1997)
16. Bloodletting (2000)
17. The Killing Kind (1996)
18. Necroshine (1999)

Reactions: Bloopy
1) Feel the Fire
2) Years of Decay
3) Horrorscope
4) The Electric Age
5) Under the Influence
6) Ironbound
7) Taking Over
8) The Grinding Wheel
9) White Devil Armory
10) Immortalis
11) I Hear Black
12) Necroshine
13) Killbox 13
14) W.F.O.
15) The Killing Kind
16) Bloodletting
17) From the Underground and Below
18) ReliXIV

Overkill are so much better, but I think Morbid Angel will produce a better poll.

Can you explain what you dislike so much about Morbid Angel? With being as much of a black metal fan as you are, I’d think Altars of Madness would be right up your alley. Absolutely fucking nails the occult atmosphere - it literally sounds fucking ancient. Shit like “Bleed for the Devil” is easily the most intense shit I’m aware of from 1989. Sickeningly violent. Altars of Madness also exemplifies tasteful use of blast beats - they’re not overused, just placed where they need to be to accentuate the violence. Pete Sandoval is a madman on this album. That’s before I’ve even mentioned the flesh ripping riffing and Vincent’s ghastly incantations.

I realize now Overkill is thrash metal's Manilla Road. They have entirely too many albums, started out fairly strong... got weaker and weaker as they changed a bit... buffed back up when they went back to their roots, then started releasing garbage again.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Back when you could enjoy thrash and still be in-crowd, Overkill was definitely a top in-crowd band.

Can you explain what you dislike so much about Morbid Angel? With being as much of a black metal fan as you are, I’d think Altars of Madness would be right up your alley. Absolutely fucking nails the occult atmosphere - it literally sounds fucking ancient. Shit like “Bleed for the Devil” is easily the most intense shit I’m aware of from 1989. Sickeningly violent. Altars of Madness also exemplifies tasteful use of blast beats - they’re not overused, just placed where they need to be to accentuate the violence. Pete Sandoval is a madman on this album. That’s before I’ve even mentioned the flesh ripping riffing and Vincent’s ghastly incantations.

Since we have their discography coming up next, I'll wait until I've reviewed their whole discography to give a more substantive assessment, but I find them dry and unengaging. I can appreciate Altars of Madness, but don't enjoy it. The other albums leave no impression no matter how many times I listen to them. I tried their later stuff with the second vocalist and found it equally unengaging. I even saw them live when they headlined over Suffocation, and frankly, I was waiting for it to be over after to 5 or 6 songs. I go to a lot of shows and they were the worst headliner I saw last year, save Scorpions, who I walked out on (was there for Megadeth anyways).

Now maybe relistening to their discography chronologically will help me appreciate something about this band, perhaps I'll even like them this time, but they've never done much for me.

I think it would be impossible for me to participate in this poll at this stage as I'd have to hear all 18 records in a five day span. That said, Id be interested in participating in the Morbid Angel one.

Since I don't have 100 posts is it even worth voting at this point since my vote wouldnt be counted?

Technical Barbarity no longer visits these boards, so can probably do away with that rule! Vote away when we get to Morbid Angel I say!

The Barbara rule was always garbage because 100 posts prove nothing. His tinfoil hat was so fucking tight he was excluding people because he thought some guys were trying to cheat, WHICH WOULDNT HAVE BEEN VERY FUCKING HARD TO DO EVEN WITH THE RULE. Hardly anyone is voting in this shit any more so any voters would make things better.

BTW fuck Gorguts (and by that I mean come back you angry fucking Armenian Sasquatch)

Reactions: Phylactery
1. Horrorscope
2. Feel the Fire
3. The Years of Decay
4. Taking Over
5. Ironbound
6. From the Underground and Below
7. White Devil Armory
8. The Electric Age
9. I Hear Black
10. The Grinding Wheel
11. W.F.O.