GMD Poll: Overkill's Discography Ranked

i didn't vote for it afaik and i've only heard like three overkill albums sry

last time we did this thread it ended up being 11 pages of people arguing with TB about whether talos was omni. those were the days.

saint vitus
slough feg
the chasm
motorhead
overkill

because a) i have no idea what the ranking would be and b) they'd get a reasonable amount of votes. quite a few getting picked here don't fit into these categories.

Booooooo!

Excellent. All much better than this one for me! Graveland has a shit load of releases though, a lot of which I'm only vaguely familiar with.

Morbid Angel I'll be able to do pretty much straight away. And hopefully doing that will also change your mind on the band. Easily one of the best death metal bands ever.

We need to do The Chasm as well soon!

Agreed - the “possibly” does not even come into it. They are the greatest death metal ever. Objectively speaking, of course.

Anyone that disagrees should be forced to listen to their entire body of work until they change their clearly misinformed opinion.

Last edited:
If I didn't like The Chasm, your posts would probably convince me that I should continue to ignore them.

My post was clearly not serious. They are obviously my favourtie death metal band (with Morbid Angel and a few others coming close) but I’m never going to claim they’re objectively better while being completely serious.

Agreed - the “possibly” does not even come into it. They are the greatest death metal ever. Objectively speaking, of course.
A lot of '90s The Chasm is kind of unremarkable barring Deathcult so that's already kind of a pock mark on the band's record. Same goes for the instrumental album which was somewhat forgettable at times. There are definitely times when I listen to the discography and wonder, "Boy, I'll probably just opt for Malevolent Creation/Bolt Thrower/Demilich/etc. today."

The first 2 Chasm albums aren’t easy listens and are definitely rough around the edges, but nowhere close to being bad. I get why they’re not as loved as the following albums though. I’d still take both over The Spell as a whole though. I’ve only recently purchased the newest one and haven’t listened to it that much so I can’t comment there.

Bolt Thrower is the definition of rock solid, but they’re undoubtedly less ambitious. They found a sucessful formula and ran with it. They’re easier to throw on if you just want some death fucking metal, I get that.

I haven’t listened to Malevolent Creation in forever. I remember the first two being solid and the rest being forgetable. They also seem out of place in a discussion with The Chasm, Bolt Thrower and Demilich.

Demilich rules obviously. But Nespithe is so alien, otherworldly and removed from most death metal it’s definitely not something I can just throw on whenever. They also only have one full length and a few short demos, so I’m
not sure why you brought them up in this light.

Anyway, back to the topic of Overkill. I’m only familiar with Feel the Fire and Horroscope and I like both. So this should inform me where to go next.

Last edited:
Anyway, back to the topic of Overkill. I’m only familiar with Feel the Fire and Horroscope and I like both. So this should inform me where to go next.
Listen to Taking Over and The Years of Decay next. I'd save Under the Influence for last as far as their 1985-1991 stuff goes since it is by far one of their poorest efforts.

The first 2 Chasm albums aren’t easy listens and are definitely rough around the edges, but nowhere close to being bad. I get why they’re not as loved as the following albums though. I’d still take both of The Spell as a whole though.
Those two albums really just strike me as growing pains efforts that only come off as OK. Daniel Corchado's later developments kind of support that, making The Chasm mostly better from the 2000 onward.

Also, The Spell rules, nerd.

Last edited:
I feel like already by the 2nd record The Chasm were putting out classic material. From the Lost Years... is severely underrated.

Now obviously this all falls into the realm of opinion. Someone mentioned Malevolent Creation, and I've never been a huge fan. If they would then go on to say Malevolent Creation is the best band ever I couldn't really argue.

What would be your selection?

1. The Years of Decay
2. Taking Over
3. Feel the Fire
4. Under the Influence
5. Horrorscope
6. WFO
7. The Killing Kind
8. From the Underground and Below
9. White Devil Armory
10. ReliXIV
11. The Grinding Wheel
12. The Electric Age
13. Kill Box 13
14. Iron Bound
15. Immortalis
16. I Hear Black
17. Bloodletting
18. Necroshine

It's all pretty interchangable after the top 5.

#18 Bloodletting (2000)

latest

Average points per vote: 2.52/18

Bloodletting - this one isn't holding up, strong opener which has stuck with me over the years, but the predominant groove lacks intensity and often comes off as butt metal, 3/10

I never get tired of 'Bloodletting' though