GMD Poll: Suffocation's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
d62125e88f2ab6388bec0f84279521a9.jpeg

Directions: Rank Suffocation's 8 studio albums plus 2 EPs. Order and number each album 1-10. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 10 points, your second place album earns 9 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 6 albums. Lists with less than 6 albums will not be counted.
  • If you list less than 10 albums, the first placed album will still get 10 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • If you don't number your list then it will be assumed that it is in ranked order
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until Friday July 5th at 4 PM PST to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

Human Waste (1990)
Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)
Breeding the Spawn (1993)
Pierced from Within (1995)
Despise the Sun (1998)
Souls to Deny (2004)
Suffocation (2006)
Blood Oath (2009)
Pinnacle of Bedlam (2013)
...of the Dark Light (2017)

People who voted for this thread:
@The Ozzman @Anom@nder Rake @TechnicalBarbarity @CiG @Krow @zerostatic

1. Despise the Sun (1998)
  2. Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)
  3. Pierced from Within (1995)
  4. Breeding the Spawn (1993)
  5. Souls to Deny (2004)
  6. Suffocation (2006)
  7. Blood Oath (2009)
  8. Pinnacle of Bedlam (2013)
  9. ...of the Dark Light (2017)
Death metal titans

Left off Human Waste because those songs were rerecorded on other albums but this is my finalized list. Pierced got moved up relative to Breeding after another listen.

Effigy is the third best death metal album ever released.

Everything after the self titled is a significant drop in quality. You could honestly omit those from listening entirely and I wouldn't be mad.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
One of the greatest dealt metal bands of all time. :kickass: Their first three are god-tier pieces of work that are amongst the most important albums in the history of metal.

Everything after the self titled is a significant drop in quality. You could honestly omit those from listening entirely and I wouldn't be mad.

Pinnacle of Bedlam and ...Of the Dark Light are better albums than their self-titled.

Souls to Deny (2004)
Suffocation (2006)
Human Waste (1990)
Despise the Sun (1998)
Blood Oath (2009)

Probably final.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophii and CiG
R-814103-1378837761-9138.jpeg.jpg

Despise the Sun (1998)
Souls to Deny (2004)
Suffocation (2006)
Human Waste (1990)
Blood Oath (2009)

Pierced from Within is firmly my number one. Death metal masterpiece.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I know I'm in the tiny minority thinking this but I've always had 'Pierced' at no.1 (common opinion so far), the self-titled track blew me away as a teen and there are some real death metal hooks throughout the record... but then instead of the other early albums that everyone usually names I really like that mid-Suffo period with Souls to Deny in particular. Their song-writing was less focused in, had more hindsight to it, and they incorporated the melodic element to the brutal American dmetal sound seamlessly giving their music that extra dimension.

1. Pierced from Within
2. Breeding the Spawn
3. Effigy of the Forgotten
4. Souls to Deny
5. Human Waste
6. Suffocation
7. Blood Oath
8. Despise the Sun

Unfortunately I've yet to hear the last two full-length's but the 8 ranked all range from excellent to legendary. Souls to Deny is one of the finest comebacks yet the album seems highly underrated. Amazing fucking band.

1. Effigy of the Forgotten
2. Breeding the Spawn
3. Human Waste
4. Pierced From Within
5. Souls to Deny
6. Blood Oath
7. Despise the Sun
8. Suffocation
9. Pinnacle of Bedlam
10. ...of the Dark Light

Top 4 are legendary. 5-7 are very good. 8 is meh and 9 & 10 I can’t even tell the band is Suffocation any more.

I know I'm in the tiny minority thinking this but I've always had 'Pierced' at no.1 (common opinion so far), the self-titled track blew me away as a teen and there are some real death metal hooks throughout the record... but then instead of the other early albums that everyone usually names I really like that mid-Suffo period with Souls to Deny in particular. Their song-writing was less focused in, had more hindsight to it, and they incorporated the melodic element to the brutal American dmetal sound seamlessly giving their music that extra dimension.
Oh right, have to name 6 albums. So.

1 Pierced From The Inside
2 Souls to Say No To
3 Suffocations
4 Effigy of the Omelette de fromage
5 Breeding the Prawns
6 Blood Loaf

Reactions: arg
Will need to listen to Suffo's most recent pair of albums before submitting a list. I look forward to hearing them after reading some of the comments here.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
1 - Effigy of the Forgotten (1991)
2 - Breeding the Spawn (1993)
3 - Pierced from Within (1995)
4 - Souls to Deny (2004)
5 - Pinnacle of Bedlam (2013)
6 - ...of the Dark Light (2017)
7 - Suffocation (2006)
8 - Blood Oath (2009)
9 - Despise the Sun (1998)
10 - Human Waste (1990)

Gonna go through their last few albums again and see if anything changes.

Reactions: jimmy101
1. Pierced From Within
2. Effigy of the Forgotten
3. Breeding the Spawn
4. Despise the Sun
5. Souls To Deny
6. Human Waste
7. Blood Oath
8. Suffocation
9. Pinnacle of Bedlam
10. ...of the Dark Light

Souls to Deny is one of the finest comebacks yet the album seems highly underrated.

i didn't listen to Souls to Deny for probably a decade prior to making my ranking and it was a lot better than i remember it being. the first three albums are interchangeable for the top spot. i had not heard the most recent two albums and they were both a chore to sit through.

Reactions: CiG and The Ozzman