GMD Poll: Suffocation's Discography Ranked

1) Pierced from Within
2)Effigy of the Forgotten
3) Breeding the Spawn
4) Souls to Deny
5) Blood Oath
6)Pinnacle of Bedlam

curiosity of the present moment:
why do you award so much attention to Schizophrenia (your avatar) ? I loved that album too back in my Sepultura die hard days, but why this one specifically when there's Arise or... ?

curiosity of the present moment:
why do you award so much attention to Schizophrenia (your avatar) ? I loved that album too back in my Sepultura die hard days, but why this one specifically when there's Arise or... ?

Schizophrenia is fucking awesome. Arise is cool but a step down in quality from Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains.

1. Pierced From Within
  2. Effigy of the Forgotten
  3. Human Waste
  4. Despise the Sun
  5. Breeding the Spawn
  6. Souls to Deny
  7. ...of the Dark Light
  8. Pinnacle of Bedlam
  9. Suffocation
  10. Blood Oath
I'm assuming everyone else has voted by now who wanted to. Results coming soon.

Reactions: CiG
Was Suffocation in crowd enough for h(im)er?

They’re usually too our crowd because of their brutal death leanings. Still they’re too influential and universally high regarded for the in crowd to not accept their first four or so releases. It puts them in a tough spot tbh.

10) Blood Oath (2009)

Suffocation.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.5/10

I personally loved Blood Oath from the first spin. It's a little different, but it's a very solid, heavy, evil fucking album. The vibe is dark as fuck and well executed.

Blood Oath had its moments ill give it that. But it just doesn't have the same relisten factor as the their older ones do.

Last edited:
10) Blood Oath (2009)

Suffocation.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.5/10
really wanted to like it, but it never took on me. "Dysmal Dream" is a fantastic track, and there's a couple good tracks beside that, but overall it feels too mild. Not much motivation to delve into it, and apparently that's the general sentiment.

7) Suffocation (2006)

472053.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.8/10

The self titled from Suffocation is great

I only heard the s/t once thinking it was much better musically and production wise than souls to deny. The solos are better also but not near the level of pierced from within.

Last edited:
6) Despise the Sun (1998)

R-1529192-1226318080.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.3/10

First place votes: 1 (@Ozzman)

AAAHH the joy of good quality DM. Suffocation is amazing, specialy the last "Despise the Sun". It´s impossible to hear it without banging your head...:eek:

"Despise the Sun" does it for me, too. "Pierced from Within" is great, but, Despise has that edge to it.

Despise The Sun is not nearly as technical or catchy [as Pierced from Within].

5) Human Waste

R-1910845-1379605665-2839.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.5/10

"Human Waste" is the album which made American Death Metal.

I thought Human Waste had Mullen's best vocals, I'm not too fond of his Pierced-present death growls, but his ones on Human Waste and Effigy are quite ejoyable.

Effigy is a classic, but I prefer Human Waste. The production is rawer, but clearer on Human Waste, whereas Effigy sounds like a blanket is on the speakers. I still enjoy pulling out Pierced once in a great while, but Human Waste and Despise the Sun are the two Suffocation releases that I listen to the most by far