GMD Votes: Top 20 Black Metal Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beherit is the start of war metal along with Blasphemy. Theyre in the same boat as Devourment in death metal. Started a simplistic, polarizing genre with hundreds of copycats... Important but not exactly uniformly loved. Im sure everyone will love the comparison.
I mostly agree with this. But all the early demos and shit had better substance than DDtM. That one is just stupid simple instrument punching. Sarcofago deserves more praise.

Let me get this straight, you pedal the intellectualism of black metal, but you listen to blackgaze and think an all time classic is generic garbage?

You clearly have no respect for this genre and its history so you don't really get to say that you have a deep understanding of it. This is embarrassing.

Storm is excellent from start to finish. Every track is excellent and distinct. Somberlain is solid, but nowhere near as consistent or cohesive.

I agree. The Somberlain has a lot of really great moments, but Storm is really great in it's entirety.

Vice versa for me. Both are top notch albums but The Somberlain is flawless. The DM influence on Storm is much clearer and the melody is also upped a bit and has a more polished sound overall, which can be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. It's just more raw, pure and aggressive. But they're both so good that it doesn't even really matter ... no point in "dissecting" their albums.:p

Let me get this straight, you pedal the intellectualism of black metal, but you listen to blackgaze and think an all time classic is generic garbage?

You clearly have no respect for this genre and its history so you don't really get to say that you have a deep understanding of it. This is embarrassing.

Do you honestly have such a slave mentality that you think that those who do not meld their views and tastes to the norms of a genre's fanbase should be dismissed? Just because ANUS and some other idiots deemed DDtM a classic doesn't mean it actually has any artistic, aesthetic, or conceptual value. A shit record is a shit record and I'm not gonna pretend to think it has any value to try and please you or anyone else.

As for blackgaze, perhaps you're simplistic enough to dismiss an entire subgenre; however, I prefer to judge records individually and there are indeed some exceptional blackgaze/ post-black records.

If anyone's embarrassing, it's you. Just because somebody doesn't like a single albums means they don't respect the genre or it's history? That's a really fucking dumb thing to say.

I'm sure there's a "classic" metal album out there that you don't like.

Do you honestly have such a slave mentality that you think that those who do not meld their views and tastes to the norms of a genre's fanbase should be dismissed? Just because ANUS and some other idiots deemed DDtM a classic doesn't mean it actually has any artistic, aesthetic, or conceptual value. A shit record is a shit record and I'm not gonna pretend to think it has any value to try and please you or anyone else.

As for blackgaze, perhaps you're simplistic enough to dismiss an entire subgenre; however, I prefer to judge records individually and there are indeed some exceptional blackgaze/ post-black records.

I could care less what you listen to. I responded in that way because your "review" of Drawing Down the Moon is full of hostile pseudo-analysis, lacks any insight whatsoever, and makes you sound incredibly short-sighted when it comes to black metal. As far as I can tell, you merely pedal the genre to justify your pseudo-intellectualism.

In any case, you clearly don't listen to metal for the same reasons I do. Why wouldn't I dismiss you?

And yeah, blackgaze is garbage and I do write off the entire genre. That doesn't make me simple. It means I have preferences.

I could care less what you listen to. I responded in that way because your "review" of Drawing Down the Moon is full of hostile pseudo-analysis, lacks any insight whatsoever, and makes you sound incredibly short-sighted when it comes to black metal. As far as I can tell, you merely pedal the genre to justify your pseudo-intellectualism.

In any case, you clearly don't listen to metal for the same reasons I do. Why wouldn't I dismiss you?

And yeah, blackgaze is garbage and I do write off the entire genre. That doesn't make me simple. It means I have preferences.

All my critiques are valid. You are just incapable of response, so you're left with no resort except dismissing my comments as "psuedo-intellectual" (the classic back-alley escape by the intellectually underdeveloped) and slavish "show some respects to the greats!" nonsense.

And yes, dismissing a genre categorically demonstrates a limit in one's open-mindedness. The fewer perspectives on is open to, the more simple their point of view is.

The stench of clear pseudo-intellect reeks throughout everything you post. I wasn't back-pedaling to anything, nor did I need to.

Writing off entire genres is a sign of close-mindedness, huh? Well that's pretty ironic. Weren't you just saying how much you hate thrash metal in another thread?

But he thought the top 20 entries on the thrash list were shallow artless shite, he doesn't need to hear anything more.

1. Gorgoroth - Pentagram
2. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
3. Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
4. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
5. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
6. Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
7. Master's Hammer - Ritual
8. Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
9. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
10 Enslaved - Vikingligr veldi
11. Burzum - Filosofem
12. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
13. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
14. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
15. Graveland - Thousand Swords
16. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
17. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
18. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
19. Windir - 1184
20. Negura Bunget - OM

I'm willing to bet that crimsonfloyd is either trolling or 18- and aping over this current hipster Liturgy-worshiping black metal trend. If it's the latter, he'll be done with metal in a year tops.

The stench of clear pseudo-intellect reeks throughout everything you post. I wasn't back-pedaling to anything, nor did I need to.

Writing off entire genres is a sign of close-mindedness, huh? Well that's pretty ironic. Weren't you just saying how much you hate thrash metal in another thread?

Nice try, but you obviously weren't paying attention. I said, as a whole, the genre isn't as deep or rich as black metal. However, I consider Reign in Blood and Hell Awaits to be total works of art and on par with any record from any subgenre of metal. There are other thrash records that are quite praiseworthy as well. Swing again, simpleton.

That's nice and all but there are other classics that you yourself said you haven't bothered to check out. You called the genre "vacuous" if I recall correctly. You're not a die-hard and I'm willing to bet you will abandon metal entirely soon enough. Do yourself a favor and go back to your post-rock and indie. This isn't the genre for you.

But he thought the top 20 entries on the thrash list were shallow artless shite, he doesn't need to hear anything more.

Nonsense. There are a number of great records on that list and I even found two new records I am fond of (the Coroner and Vektor records). I did think there were a number of nondescript records that left no impression, which isn't what you expect from a top-20.

I'm willing to bet that crimsonfloyd is either trolling or 18- and aping over this current hipster Liturgy-worshiping black metal trend. If it's the latter, he'll be done with metal in a year tops.

God, you're making an ass of yourself. I've been on a metal forum for over a decade, and I'm gonna stop listening to it next year? All because I don't like a garbage record that some sheep mindlessly praise because they were told it was a kvlt masterpiece? I've been listening to black metal for about 15 years and have heard countless records. DDtM would fall in the bottom 10% of black metal records I've heard. It's not even bad, it's atrocious.

I noticed that your join date was 2002 and that's precisely why I mentioned that you could be trolling.

Black metal is almost universally simplistic and you're telling me that Drawing Down the Moon is bad due to basic riff-work? This forum has become the antithesis of heavy metal and I almost wonder if it isn't just a deliberate attempt to drive away the old crowd. Congratulations, it's working.

a garbage record that some sheep mindlessly praise because they were told it was a kvlt masterpiece?

Thanks for clearing that up. I've been a mindless sheep for about 13 years now, it's about time I sorted that out. Seriously though, you don't actually believe this, right?

You must really hate The Oath of Black Blood. What about Blasphemy, Archgoat, early Impaled Nazarene, Abhorer, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.