GMD Votes: Top 20 Black Metal Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that your join date was 2002 and that's precisely why I mentioned that you could be trolling.

Black metal is almost universally simplistic and you're telling me that Drawing Down the Moon is bad due to basic riff-work?

Simplicity in itself isn't the problem. However, poor and simple are a bad combination. But I can repeat the other things that make this record awful. The vocals sound like android-cookie-monster. The drumming is dull and plodding. The mix is poor and ineffective. The ambient tracks clash with the metal tracks. The transitions within songs are poorly executed. It's just a terrible, terrible record.

This forum has become the antithesis of heavy metal and I almost wonder if it isn't just a deliberate attempt to drive away the old crowd. Congratulations, it's working.

:wave:

Sad to see that not much people voted for the first 2 Hades/Hades Almighty albums.

'' Again Shall Be '' and '' The Dawn of the Dying Sun '' are the greatest Viking/Black records ever IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for clearing that up. I've been a mindless sheep for about 13 years now, it's about time I sorted that out. Seriously though, you don't actually believe this, right?

You must really hate The Oath of Black Blood. What about Blasphemy, Archgoat, early Impaled Nazarene, Abhorer, etc?

Never listened to OBB. Why would I listen to b-sides from a band I don't like? Don't like the Blasphemy and Archgoat I've heard, but Impaled Nazarene is pretty good. However, I don't see the comparison to DDtM.

Beherit haters are why we can't have nice things.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...I dont hate Beherit. I love Beherit. I just don't feel DDtM deserves to be on the list. Actually, Diocletian, Archgoat, and Teitanblood deserve more, and Sarcofago definitely is better than that album

1. Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
2. Gorgoroth - Pentagram
3. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
4. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
5. Master's Hammer - Ritual
6. Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
7. Burzum - Filosofem
8. Darkthrone - A Blaze In the Northern Sky
9. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
10. Windir - 1184
11. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
12. Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
13. Dissection - Storm of the Lights Bane
14. Graveland - Thousand Swords
15. Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
16. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin Dusk
17. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
18. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
19. Negura Bunget - OM
20. Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

Parts of this Beherit album sound more death metal to me than anything. I can definitely hear the black metal too. Just more death than black.

I can see where you're coming from in some ways but it still doesn't really sound like any death metal I've heard. It's far more ritualistic and simplistic. I feel like it's a little easier to say that black metal varies in sound according to location where as death metal is a little more recognizable.

I'm probably over-thinking it but oh well.

1. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
2. Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger
3. Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
4. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
5. Deathspell Omega- Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
6. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
7. Gorgoroth - Pentagram
8. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
9. Master's Hammer - Ritual
10. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
11. Negura Bunget - OM
12. Darkthrone A Blaze In the Northern Sky
13. Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
14. Ulcer - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
15. Windir - 1184
16. Burzum - Filosofem
17. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
18. Sacramentum Far Away from the Sun
19. Beherit - Drawing Down The Moon
20. Graveland - Thousand Swords

1. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
2. Enslaved - Vikingligr Veldi
3. Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
4. Windir - 1184
5. Burzum - Filosofem
6. Master's Hammer - Ritual
7. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
8. Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
9. Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
10. Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
11. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
12. Gorgoroth - Pentagram
13. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum
14. Negura Bunget - OM
15. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
16. Bathory - Under the Sign of Black Mark
17. Ulver - Bergtatt
18. Graveland - Thousand Swords
19. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk
20. Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

lol @ that Beherit album there and it's not even Engram.

I don't listen to a lot of black metal but even I could name +500 albums better than anything Beherit has ever done.

ClichéUserName;10965409 said:
Sad to see that not much people voted for the first 2 Hades/Hades Almighty albums.

Both are stellar especially DotDS. Also Helheims first two. Totally underrated

People who hate Drawing Down the Moon have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes black metal good, and quite possibly of heterosexuality as well.

I bought their first two for like ten bucks each. Anyone else find it weird Mosen says he can name 500+ black metal albums?

Status
Not open for further replies.