GMD Votes: Top 20 Black Metal Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, gotcha.

Im seriously shocked that not only did Agalloch not make the list, but that The Mantle wasnt even close. Pale Folklore at least was somewhat up there, but to not have em in the top 20? Weak. No Aeternus too...Or Drudkh...Or Inquisition...I know its not my list, but wouldve thought the polls were going to be different.

We shouldve had the rule one album per band too. Two Emperor albums on this list is just stupid. As much as I love em, give me one Burzum and DT album so that other shit could have a chance...According to the list that would be Sarcafago and Rotting Christ, but that would atleast put Drudkh on the list.

I tried the 'No more than two albums per band' rule for the death metal one and everyone bitched about it. Blame GMD.

I may do that again for the Trad thread so it's not just PriestMaidenSabbath

I hate to start nitcpiking again, but INRI is more of a proto-black metal album so i have problem with it not being on here. There's more thrash metal and death metal on that album than anything.

This graveland album is kicking my ass! :kickass:

Im seriously shocked that not only did Agalloch not make the list, but that The Mantle wasnt even close.

Agalloch - The Mantle were not included because to the majority of the album isn't Black Metal. I'm sure it would have made it otherwise.

Surprised to not see and Inquisition, Katharsis or Blut Aus Nord make the list. Not surprised to see mostly "starter kit" bands/albums, but I'd still say it's a pretty good top 20.

I honestly don't know if I made the right BAN choice. Its pretty close between TWWTG and MV2

I was in the same position. TWWTG has a much darker atmosphere compared to MV2, and personally that's what I like more in black metal so I went with that.

I tried the 'No more than two albums per band' rule for the death metal one and everyone bitched about it. Blame GMD.

I may do that again for the Trad thread so it's not just PriestMaidenSabbath

I was under the impression that we were still using that rule when I made my original list, fwiw.

And yeah, I think we should bring that rule back for the trad thread. It'll make things more interesting.

MV2 is my favorite BAN album, hands down. Then the MV1, then TWWTG.

And I agree fully about Handful of Stars. I HATED it when it first came out, but its honestly one of my favorites of theirs and its one of the ones I listen to mostly. The only album of theirs I couldnt get down with was Swan Road. The production is just too muddled for me.

Well. That was interesting.
I also forgot to add that Graveland album before to my original list. Ah well, didn't matter anyways.

1.) Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
2.) Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
3.) Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
4.) Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
5.) Graveland - Thousand Swords
6.) Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
7.) Darkthrone - Transylvania Hunger
8.) Immortal - Pure Holocaust
9.) Deathspell Omega - Si Mounmentum, Requires Circumspice
10.) Burzum - Filosofem
11.) Master's Hammer - Ritual
12.) Ulver - Bergatt: Et