GMD Votes: Top Traditional/Doom Album Prelims

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Battle Cry is awesome it's really fucking awesome, but I have a tendency to skip several tracks while listening to it. Something I rarely, if ever, do with the tracks I listed above it.

100% agree. i fucking ADORE the opener though, that's one of the best songs ever imo. and 'the axeman' is a classic of course.

1. Avatarium - Avatarium

what's this? i ask because that list is great, nice to see chastain getting some love. have you heard gargoyle's S/T and deadly blessing's ASCEND FROM THE CAULDRON? can imagine those being up your street.

really guys, the standard of these lists in general is outstanding. i salute you.

edit: i'm listening to taramis right now and so far it's reminding me more of IRAE MELANOX than anything. and now it's doing a satan's host thing. needless to say, it's extremely weird and extremely awesome.

Yeah, I could hear an Adramelch comparison too. I haven't listened to Metal From Hell in such a long time though, I really need to again.

i seem to be in the minority on that one, production seems to be a major stumbling block for most people, and it's a little more chaotic than what trad folks are generally used to. the middle section of this song though, for example, is just incredible. as an absolutely HUGE jag panzer fan (and fairly big fan of titan force for that matter), i definitely think MFH is conklin's greatest performance too. his screams on that song during the slow part are honestly among the most spinetingling moments i've ever heard in music.

How far does this extend? Electric Wizard? Iced Earth? Rush? Generic just metal like Down? The Sword? Or are we just doing old school vanilla metal/doom or newer bands emulating the sound?

i personally wouldn't dispute the eligibility of any of those 'cept probably rush (even though they're probably the best band out of those, i don't generally see them categorised as metal). and newer bands are definitely eligible.

i'm a little iffy about changing mine to add scorpions, 'cause while i think TAKEN BY FORCE is more metal, IN TRANCE is the only one good enough to warrant inclusion for me.

1.) Revelation - Release
2.) Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
3.) Revelation - ...Yet So Far
4.) Helstar - Remnants of War
5.) Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
6.) Gotham City - The Unknown
7.) Trouble - Psalm 9
8.) Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
9.) Warning -Watching From A Distance
10.) Ereb Altor - By Honour
11.) Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power
12.) Tokyo Blade - Genghis Khan Killers
13.) Dragonslayer - S/T
14.) Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
15.) Angel Witch - S/T
16.) Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
17.) Satan - Court in the Act
18.) Legend - Death in the Nursery
19.) Pagan Altar - Judgment of the Dead
20.) Asylum - The Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe
21.) Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
22.) The River - In Situ
23.) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
24.) Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
25.) Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

Tough list. Not sure there's a difference between 4 and 25 for me, personally.

Taramis sounds interesting, off one 'tube track thus far Hamburger. Not sure about Othyrworld & Zions just yet.

i'm actually really excited about the idea of re-recorded sacred blade 'cause i could never get into the original that much largely because of the production IIRC. i tried pretty hard too.

that list is erotic rms. what's the asylum thing?

1. Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
2. Pagan Altar – Volume 1
3. Saint Vitus - Hallow's Victim
4. Solstice – New Dark Age
5. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
6. Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power
7. Blood Farmers – Blood Farmers
8. Revelation – Release
9. Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
10. Judas Priest – Stained Class
11. Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
12. Ogre – Plague of the Planet
13. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
14. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
15. Satan - Court in the Act
16. Revered Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend

Is it weird that I think the new Solstice EP is better than anything they've done? I can't wait for the full length..

1.) Revelation - Release
2.) Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
3.) Revelation - ...Yet So Far
4.) Helstar - Remnants of War
5.) Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
6.) Gotham City - The Unknown
7.) Trouble - Psalm 9
8.) Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
9.) Warning -Watching From A Distance
10.) Ereb Altor - By Honour
11.) Scald - Will of the Gods Is Great Power
12.) Tokyo Blade - Genghis Khan Killers
13.) Dragonslayer - S/T
14.) Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
15.) Angel Witch - S/T
16.) Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
17.) Satan - Court in the Act
18.) Legend - Death in the Nursery
19.) Pagan Altar - Judgment of the Dead
20.) Asylum - The Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe
21.) Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
22.) The River - In Situ
23.) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
24.) Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
25.) Witchfinder General - Death Penalty

Tough list. Not sure there's a difference between 4 and 25 for me, personally.

Taramis sounds interesting, off one 'tube track thus far Hamburger. Not sure about Othyrworld & Zions just yet.

Bro, you should really just go with "Volume I" instead of "Judgement of the Dead" since that is more commonly used title.

Also, I'm really glad to see so many similar bands on these lists, but it seems that none of us can agree on the best Vitus record. Some say the first one, I say Born Too Late, and someone is crazy enough to list Die Healing? Get it together peeps.

And since when did all you fuckers out there start jerking off to Cirith Ungol as much as me?

I just say Judgment because that is apparently the order the band wanted of the track listing and I spent like 13$ on a copy of it when I already had Volume 1, so I can feel cool :loco:

Also, I'm really glad to see so many similar bands on these lists, but it seems that none of us can agree on the best Vitus record. Some say the first one, I say Born Too Late, and someone is crazy enough to list Die Healing? Get it together peeps.

And since when did all you fuckers out there start jerking off to Cirith Ungol as much as me?

i was thinking the same re: ungol, great to see KotD feature so prominently. clearly one of the most unique and spellbinding achievements in metal's history methinks. the albums surrounding it ain't too shabby either.

for the record my RYM friends' top 100 for doom metal goes like this:
3) hallows victim 4.02 from 66
4) die healing 4.05 from 51
6) saint vitus 3.93 from 98
21) born too late 3.72 from 80
30) mournful cries 3.72 from 51
33) V 3.72 from 52

so maybe you're the one who's crazy! reagers stuff has always been more popular among trad doom aficionados i've found. i do love BORN TOO LATE though. that album's like a really great alcohol binge, whereas the reagers stuff is more like a heroin hit.

edit: well, 'great' alcohol binge might be the wrong word, but you know what i mean. :rofl:

Battle Cry is easily their most power metal album bro. I don't know what qualities Savatage has that Omen doesn't. If anything Savatage focuses less on guitar melodies and more on groove, and they also don't have the fantasy thing down to the same extent.

So Battle Cry is more power metal than Warning of Danger and The Curse? :lol:

I should have included Savatage with the other bands that i said had some material that was PM.

But yea i dont know how the fuck im going to put this list together. Am i going to be the only one voting for DP or did Ozz just fuck it up from the get go?

Status
Not open for further replies.