GMD Votes: Top Traditional/Doom Album Prelims

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Battle Cry is more power metal than Warning of Danger and The Curse? :lol:

I should have included Savatage with the other bands that i said had some material that was PM.

But yea i dont know how the fuck im going to put this list together. Am i going to be the only one voting for DP or did Ozz just fuck it up from the get go?

I added Deep Purple to my list.

^I dunno about that. I think Stoner Doom has a different feel to it than vanilla Doom. The riffs, not just the lyrics.

If Electric Wizard counts then I'm adding them to my list though.

It's different, but it's still Doom to the core. I understand excluding Death/Doom and that stuff, but Stoner Doom should count imo.

Really should've just done separate threads for Doom and Trad/Power. It feels kind of silly putting Fates Warning on the same list as Pentagram.

Really should've just done separate threads for Doom and Trad/Power. It feels kind of silly putting Fates Warning on the same list as Pentagram.

Yeah agreed. I understand the reasoning, to include bands like Sabbath and Trouble in one list, otherwise people would want to include them in both Trad and Doom. But for some bands it just feels wrong.

It's different, but it's still Doom to the core. I understand excluding Death/Doom and that stuff, but Stoner Doom should count imo.

Traditional Doom. It says so in the original post.

But remember, you can still vote for Master of Reality because it's stoner doom released by sabbath.

Also Reagers > Wino foreva

Here's my list. I only picked one album per band to maximise the number of albums, although there are second (and third) albums by certain bands that would replace others on the list. For the record I think that the list should have been split into one each for Heavy and Doom.

1. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
2. Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
3. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
4. Heavy Load - Death Or Glory
5. Pentagram - Pentagram
6. Manilla Road - Mystification
7. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
8. Liege Lord - Freedom’s Rise
9. Venom - Welcome To Hell
10. Cirirth Ungol - King of the Dead
11. The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among the Dead Men
12. Brocas Helm - Defender of the Crown
13. Dark Quarterer - Dark Quarterer
14. Sortilege - Metamorphose
15. Trouble - Psalm 9
16. Helstar - Remnants of War
17. Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
18. Angel Witch - Angel Witch
19. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
20. Pagan Altar - Mythical and Magical
21. Running Wild - Gates To Purgatory
22. Savage Grace - After the Fall From Grace
23. Death SS - …In Death of Steve Sylvester
24. Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Drill
25. Twisted Tower Dire - The Curse of Twisted Tower

Oooh....fancy spellin's!
It just proves that it's been quite a while since I the last time I listened to it.:D

what's this? i ask because that list is great, nice to see chastain getting some love. have you heard gargoyle's S/T and deadly blessing's ASCEND FROM THE CAULDRON? can imagine those being up your street.
Baroque has already answered your first question. As regards your second question, I haven't heard of Gargoyle and I have only read about Deadly Blessing's "Asecend From The Cauldron". So I might check them out, but I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of traditional heavy metal. My favourite metal subgenre has been thrash metal, but I think that my overall most-played albums don't fit any subgenre.

Props for including that. Solid album. #1 though? Better than anything by BS, JP, Dio etc.?
It's always a matter of personal taste, isn't it? I have never cared much about the big names in metal. I admit that it might be a bit early to put Avatarium at #1 since their album is less than 1 1/2 years old and hasn't stood the test of time yet. However, it was my second most-played album in 2014 and it has already got more spins until now than most of the other albums mentioned in my list. The latter might also be a consequence of the fact that while I bought up to 50 new albums per year in the eighties, I only buy 5-10 nowadays - and only about half of them qualify as metal. This also means that new albums I really do enjoy get more spins than they might have got about 25 years ago.

Baroque has already answered your first question. As regards your second question, I haven't heard of Gargoyle and I have only read about Deadly Blessing's "Asecend From The Cauldron". So I might check them out, but I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of traditional heavy metal. My favourite metal subgenre has been thrash metal, but I think that my overall most-played albums don't fit any subgenre.

they're both more similar to helstar than anything else on your list, for what it's worth.

when genres are done do you have any plans for any other polls, such as year lists or 21st century lists or anything? i'm a total list freak and if i'm given an excuse i'll take it lol

i'm gonna try starting up song survivor again... that was lots of fun back in the day.

when genres are done do you have any plans for any other polls, such as year lists or 21st century lists or anything? i'm a total list freak and if i'm given an excuse i'll take it lol

i'm gonna try starting up song survivor again... that was lots of fun back in the day.

Yes, but this is going to be sometime after the trad section is done. Need to take a break and explore so many bands listed that I didn't even know about until these threads were created.

Basically, after I take a break once Trad is done, I will do the following:

-Redux of the death metal thread. I don't feel I did that one correctly and was a trial run. Now that I have a decent system I'm gonna try it again and probably get different results
-'Other' list, which will essentially cover anything not covered in the first 4 sets (so folk, power, etc)
-Top 50 list using the top 10 from death (redux)/black/thrash/trad/other

The Top 50 could be a Top 100 but that would take me a million years to listen to all that again haha.

Once those are finished, people are free to do whatever other lists they want. I can coordinate or help people with data tracking. We could have ideas in its own thread as well.

the 'other' lists are gonna be all over the place haha, you might not get much overlap. could be interesting though.

love the idea of combining the genre top 10s into a super poll (i assume that's what you mean?), i'm totally on board with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.