Guitar Player's Thread

Hey guys, I have a question.

That RR24 from my friend is being shipped out soon, and he said that he was going to detune the floyd, just to be safe. That way if it gets dropped or something, the neck won't snap, which is of course a very good thing.

But I'm not sure how to set it back up when it gets here. He said that by detune, he means the floyd will sink back into the recess and put a lot of slack in the strings, or something. Will I need to do anything other than tune the strings back up? I don't think the tension on the floyd, in terms of the screws, will be any different, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

I wouldn't imagine that the neck would snap if it was dropped because it had a floyd, I'd imagine the neck would snap because it was fucking DROPPED.

If he does still do that, then you just use the tuning pegs on the headstock until it's in tune. If it's been setup before he packs it, then you won't need to touch the fine tuners or the springs.

I've really been thinking about painting the yellow bevels on my 24. Shit is ugly.

What? o_O

Hey guys, I have a question.

That RR24 from my friend is being shipped out soon, and he said that he was going to detune the floyd, just to be safe. That way if it gets dropped or something, the neck won't snap, which is of course a very good thing.

But I'm not sure how to set it back up when it gets here. He said that by detune, he means the floyd will sink back into the recess and put a lot of slack in the strings, or something. Will I need to do anything other than tune the strings back up? I don't think the tension on the floyd, in terms of the screws, will be any different, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Have you ever had a Floyd? Dunno, but if yes, I asume you'll have tuned it at least once (when restringing and stuff). I supose that by detuning your friend means releasing the tension of the strings so that if the Floyd is pushed downwards when packed it doesn't keep the neck in excessive tension till you open it, so you'll just have to retune all the strings when you get it. It's not like he's going to dismantle the Floyd or anything :lol: But that's just my guess, could be other thing.

I'm not to big of a fan of his stuff but I had to check him out after hearing his work on JB's End of the Beginning. I reckon you would like Guthrie Govan if you dig Firkins, if you hadn't heard of him already.

I do listen to Guthrie.
I just really like Firkins' "fake slide" thing. It sounds so fucking ace.
I'm not a fan of all his work though

Haha, good point Mitch. Guitars in shipping always get me nervous.

Have you ever had a Floyd? Dunno, but if yes, I asume you'll have tuned it at least once (when restringing and stuff). I supose that by detuning your friend means releasing the tension of the strings so that if the Floyd is pushed downwards when packed it doesn't keep the neck in excessive tension till you open it, so you'll just have to retune all the strings when you get it. It's not like he's going to dismantle the Floyd or anything :lol: But that's just my guess, could be other thing.

Yeah, I have, but the way you said it no makes perfect sense. It should be no big deal then. Thanks! :)

Yeah, I have, but the way you said it no makes perfect sense. It should be no big deal then. Thanks! :)

No problem :) That's a thing I'll always remember cos one teacher I had long time ago (which as the retarded asshole I was back then I dropped because he only taught me classica and theory and some technique and not punk rock songs as I wanted to play, shame on me :erk:) went nuts when he saw me putting my guitar into the case with the trem bar on and he said: ''WTF are you doing? It'll put extra tension on the neck for a long time until you take the gutiar out of the case again and will end up fucking the neck!'' So with a floyd that has all the fine tuners and everything higher than the guitar body even pushing that down and making the whole bridge go down could be bad. Enjoy your RR when it arrives, and post lots of pics (*ahem*resurrect Guitar Compilation*ahem* :loco: :lol:).

I know DiMarzio do something called a Virtual P-90 which I know is a humbucker, but I'm not certain if it's P90 size or not.

No problem :) That's a thing I'll always remember cos one teacher I had long time ago (which as the retarded asshole I was back then I dropped because he only taught me classica and theory and some technique and not punk rock songs as I wanted to play, shame on me :erk:) went nuts when he saw me putting my guitar into the case with the trem bar on and he said: ''WTF are you doing? It'll put extra tension on the neck for a long time until you take the gutiar out of the case again and will end up fucking the neck!'' So with a floyd that has all the fine tuners and everything higher than the guitar body even pushing that down and making the whole bridge go down could be bad. Enjoy your RR when it arrives, and post lots of pics (*ahem*resurrect Guitar Compilation*ahem* :loco: :lol:).

Yeah, that sucks, but we all make silly mistakes like that when we're young and stubborn and want our way. At least this way, you probably appreciate the importance and helpfulness of knowing classical techniques/music and theory more than if you had just learned it without much thought into why, or really wanting it. So if you learn it now, you'll probably enjoy it more and pay closer attention rather than just taking it for granted. Tomar por echo, you might say? My spanish is very bad.

And I will certainly do that. :p

Why didn't you get the white one or the red beveled one? :lol:

Yeah, that sucks, but we all make silly mistakes like that when we're young and stubborn and want our way. At least this way, you probably appreciate the importance and helpfulness of knowing classical techniques/music and theory more than if you had just learned it without much thought into why, or really wanting it. So if you learn it now, you'll probably enjoy it more and pay closer attention rather than just taking it for granted. Tomar por echo, you might say? My spanish is very bad.

And I will certainly do that. :p

Yep, I certainly now enjoy every bit I know quite a lot, but it's way harder to learn now and by myself than back then and with a teacher to guide me. And yeah, it's more or less ''Tomar (maybe ''Dar'' would be better) por hecho'' :)

Try turning your truss rod 1/4 turn counter clockwise. Let the guitar sit for 15 min to adjust, re tune and see if that helps.

Or depending on what kind of bridge you have, just raise the action a little bit on the bass side

I have to raise the action quite a bit for the buzzing to stop. Is there anything other than the truss rod and bridge height that could be affecting the amount of buzzing? Because it was sort of always a problem even when I was using thicker strings.

I have to raise the action quite a bit for the buzzing to stop. Is there anything other than the truss rod and bridge height that could be affecting the amount of buzzing? Because it was sort of always a problem even when I was using thicker strings.

Truss Rod Adjustment

Sounds like the truss rod is too tight, creating a back bend in the neck, creating your strings to buzz.

Dr. Lowberg prescribes 1/4 turn counter clockwise