Guitar Player's Thread

^Could you explain it please? :D

Yeahh its a power amp, Power tubes don't change the tone too much untill you crank it past like 7,which not a lot of people do nowadays.

On another note, I was messing around at 3am last night trying a completely different guitar tone from scratch instead of relying on presets. Its a little dark, and could use a little more bite to it but i think it cuts though the mix nicely

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7395622

Awesome!

^

1. GearBox
2. Help
3. Hardware and Driver settings

It didn't work tho, Revalver still has that delay, same for Guitar Rig.

GearBox is all I need:kickass:

Yeah dude, you have a good voice, let it shine.

And I'm no expert, nor do I know exactly how you're doing them, but it sounds like you're pushing through the throat a little too much. It's not good to do vocal fry like that too often, and if you try and do them from your diaphragm/stomach, they'll sound fuller. But for all I know, you could already be doing that, so I'm just guessing and judging by that clip.

Sounds pretty black metal though, which is definitely good depending on what you're going for.

You have a great voice, Sounds fucking awesome!

But it sounds like its clipping quite a bit, and bring those vocals up a little bit!

Fix that and its A+

:worship:notworthy:worship: :kickass: Thanks for the words man.

Yeah dude, I smashed the living fuck out of the master bus on accident.

Yeah dude, you have a good voice, let it shine.

And I'm no expert, nor do I know exactly how you're doing them, but it sounds like you're pushing through the throat a little too much. It's not good to do vocal fry like that too often, and if you try and do them from your diaphragm/stomach, they'll sound fuller. But for all I know, you could already be doing that, so I'm just guessing and judging by that clip.

Sounds pretty black metal though, which is definitely good depending on what you're going for.

:headbang::kickass::worship:

I'm still working on learning how to use everything up in that bitch but I know what you're saying. I feel like when I use my 'dump' (melissa cross reference I believe you're used to since you used fry) it just puts more pressure on my throat.

Two people said I sound like Dani Filth but lower. :erk:

Two people said I sound like Dani Filth but lower. :erk:

ouch man lol

I'm trying to work on my screams too, Its tough shit but Ive basically gathered what works best for ME from my own experience.

-I kind of scream with a mix of throat and chest, the throat part being the tightening of the vocal chords to get some grind.

-I found i can scream better at lower volumes and not to push TOO hard because it sounds better, its safer. Push for tone not volume, the mic will do the work.

-Breath with your stomach not just your chest.

-tightening/tucking in my diaphragm helps get it a little more distorted and helps for higher screams.

I have kind of a middle ranged voice, I have trouble doing real high screams and real low ones.

ouch man lol

I'm trying to work on my screams too, Its tough shit but Ive basically gathered what works best for ME from my own experience.

-I kind of scream with a mix of throat and chest, the throat part being the tightening of the vocal chords to get some grind.

-I found i can scream better at lower volumes and not to push TOO hard because it sounds better, its safer. Push for tone not volume, the mic will do the work.

-Breath with your stomach not just your chest.

-tightening/tucking in my diaphragm helps get it a little more distorted and helps for higher screams.

I have kind of a middle ranged voice, I have trouble doing real high screams and real low ones.

This is pretty much exactly what I do. Or at least try

The most comfortable range for me is tenor so yeah, doing another high or low is a bitch.

But then when I talk to guys like Mitch from Suicide Silence (just a crappy 'core' band with insane highs and lows) he talks like a chick. :lol:

So I just know I need practice.

Granted, I don't know who said it, but I would assume the Dani Filth thing mostly just comes from him being a more recognizable/nameable "black metal" vocalist. At least I didn't think that when I was listening.

But yeah, I know what you both mean. It takes a lot of practice, and I definitely have a lot of work to do myself, though I have been taking lessons for clean singing for a little while now. Lowberg is right about tone before volume. One of my problems is that my style and the way I learned came very predominately from throat-based vocalists, which gave me a lot of bad habits. I would try and emulate guys like AJFA Hetfield, Peter Dolving, and later-era Anders Friden. And the problem with that is 1) They've been doing it for a long time, and professionally. 2) Even they have a lot of issues, all the same.

Honestly, a great person to try and learn from is Mikael Akerfeldt. Though it really should be whoever you like yourself, keeping in mind what's good and bad for your voice. No point putting yourself down a path that will only cut you short in the long run.

A good friend of mine and fantastic death metal vocalist gave me a lot of help. One of the best things he told me was that you should just start in whatever range you're comfortable in, and can do without any real strain (not the same thing as fatigue, everyone's voice gets tired, but it shouldn't hurt). Once you can do that fairly easily, and feel in good control of it, is when you can try and go higher or lower.

For me, it's not enough to bend the strings and use the Whammy. I stretch each string seperatly with my right hand by gently (high e) or brutally (low E) pulling it many times.

Other ideas:
- bad trem springs (but your guitar is pretty new, so I don't know if this can be the point.
- trem is not set up right
- Edge III problem (it's ok, but really nothing more. The Xiphos is a great guitar, but there HAS to something mediocre about it if you look at the cool price)
haha, yeah I know some people say bad things about the Edge III but a lot of the time this is because it's not set up correctly. I'll try your suggestion and try loosen/tighten the springs and see if that helps.

Pђoenix;8097985 said:
Best way to stretch strings is to do it manually. Place your thumb under a string, pull it up gently and slide your thumb the length of the string towards the headstock. Do this for each string several times, then tune up to around about your selected tuning and lock the nut. Should work fine if your trem is set up correctly.

I can't think of anything else except how you stretched your strings and what Corny has already mentioned.

Last time I stretched by pulling on the strings, I snapped the high E...but I'll be brave and do it again very gently. Thanks for the suggestions you guys.

^:lol::lol::lol:

GUYS AND MYSTIQUE :lol:, CHECK THIS OUT:

OMFG!

Maybe it's old news, but I only recall seeing a pic of it, not the guitar as something that coul be purchased. If it's old news, excuse my n00bness about the matter :lol:

EDIT: Oh shit! New Ibanez website! Am I the only slow fuck who didn't know or is it new? :lol:

^

1. GearBox
2. Help
3. Hardware and Driver settings

It didn't work tho, Revalver still has that delay, same for Guitar Rig.

GearBox is all I need:kickass:

Revalver:http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/index.cfm
Guitar cab impulses:http://recabi.net/site/
download the Revalver/Recabinet demo and try it!

you need a soundcard or http://www.asio4all.com/ for use it

Thanks guys!