Guitar Player's Thread

dude im going to that show probably, i live in portland

wow really? thats awesome.......i guess

That's cool, we should meet up beforehand or something.

And I think ST is way better than AILD, but that's just me. Plus, that way I don't have to see AILD follow Bodom, which is still just weird to me. Tendencies are a classic band.

Does anybody have some exercises to work on for keeping the pinky near the fretboard?

I haven't tabbed it out before, but my teacher (who is a jazz guitarist) taught me one.

You can do it anywhere on the fretboard, it's a chromatic exercise. It goes something like this...

You're playing the typical 1-2-3-4 (or whatever), but once you push down on the string and play its note, DO NOT lift up your finger. When you move to the next string, you have to keep each of those fingers held down until it is their turn to move. So it's like...

5-------
--(6-7-8) parenthesis = held but not played

(5)-6-----
------(7-8)

(5-6)-7---
---------(8)

(5-6-7)-8
-----------

etc.

This goes all they way down to the top E string. You must also of course play each of those with their according finger from index to pinky. It'll suck like hell at first and probably make you go slow as shit, but it will teach you to be extremely economical and efficient in your fretting hand movement.

EDIT: Let me know if that doesn't make any sense. I can try and put it into a guitar pro tab.

I am a bit worried. The Agile Septors have 27 inch scale. Which is supposed to be a good thing in terms of clarity and articulation...I'm just wondering if i can reach anything with it anymore it having a baritone scale
It's indeed a difference, but not THAT much. And keep in mind that soloing is a bit more comfortable in the tiny upper frets.

I don't think 2 inches will make much different.. Well, 1.5..
Soundwise, it definitely makes a difference. At least if you tune down to A, what I do at the moent with a 25.5 sevenstring... so I'm aiming for one of the three 27" Ibanez models, but they've been discontinued years ago.

Honestly, you'll probably notice the string tension more than anything.
String tension is good :)

Yeah, you can even see that the string doesn't vibrate so wide if you pick it hard. My friend has a Baritone sixstring, really nice and stiff tone.

It's not just the drummer that makes them good.. The guitar work is awesome, some good riffs and they've gone for solos in the later albums as well. I can't say they repeat themselves TOO much, it's just their style of writing. Listen to Michael Amott from AE, you can definitely tell it's him from playing, or Alexi from COB

Now none of you are gonna bitch about them being too repetetive, are you :rolleyes:

agreed. they're just some mainstream "pop" heavy metal band with shitty guitarists.

I dare you to cover some of their material and call them shitty again after that. Your opinion is invalid also because you probably like them anyway. Like a few months ago you calling Jeff Loomis a complete wanker and a a month or so afterwards you are telling us how great he is.

Now stop bitching about bands. This is ruining the thread completely.

I dare you to cover some of their material and call them shitty again after that.

Seriously why the fuck do people still use to whole "Oh I bet you couldn't blablabla" argument? Why does it matter? I can't play the cello but I can still say Apocalyptica are shit if I want to.

Seriously why the fuck do people still use to whole "Oh I bet you couldn't blablabla" argument? Why does it matter? I can't play the cello but I can still say Apocalyptica are shit if I want to.

+329857298765 i see this all the time on youtube. Someone comments on less than stellar playing, and gets swarmed by faggots screaming that they don't see him play/asking him to upload a vid of him doing better

One does not need to be a meteorologist to understand what's shit weather and what's not, one does not need to be a formula 1 driver to understand that the guy coming in last didn't put on a very good show, and one certainly doesn't need to be better than someone to understand they're lacking in one way or an other. And this is just for blaringly obvious mistakes and errors!

If i think LoG stinks dog poo, and dislike what they do, i shouldn't need to cover their entire discography to justify my opinion.

I agree, but he called the guitarists shit or in other words unskilled which I don't really find just. Having said that...LOG is by no means everyones cup of tea. I wasn't arguing about "i bet you can't" I just find saying the guitarists are shit both fucking stupid and arrogant.

I wasn't saying he isn't allowed to think their music is shit :p Everyone is justified to a opinion.

Also, anyone with ears can say that their songs live are very well played, that is not opinion, if you like the songs or not that's another subject.

+329857298765 i see this all the time on youtube. Someone comments on less than stellar playing, and gets swarmed by faggots screaming that they don't see him play/asking him to upload a vid of him doing better

One does not need to be a meteorologist to understand what's shit weather and what's not, one does not need to be a formula 1 driver to understand that the guy coming in last didn't put on a very good show, and one certainly doesn't need to be better than someone to understand they're lacking in one way or an other. And this is just for blaringly obvious mistakes and errors!

If i think LoG stinks dog poo, and dislike what they do, i shouldn't need to cover their entire discography to justify my opinion.

You sir have won my heart.

Anyway, back to topic.

I have read that Schecter has started manufacturing their guitars in addition to South Korea, also in China and Indonesia. What the fuck? This apparently includes Hellraiser series! The guitars QC/Setup/Assembly line is still in USA i think but if the guitars are going to be made in fucking China and they cost 700-1000€ then i think something is wrong :erK:

Anyway, back to topic.

I have read that Schecter has started manufacturing their guitars in addition to South Korea, also in China and Indonesia. What the fuck? This apparently includes Hellraiser series! The guitars QC/Setup/Assembly line is still in USA i think but if the guitars are going to be made in fucking China and they cost 700-1000€ then i think something is wrong :erK:

Gotta compete.

Also, heard rumour that nowadays Grover tuners=>Schecter tuners. That's like downgrading the whole guitar. Made in China and fucking switching out HQ components.

Anyway, back to topic.

ew

Yeah, that kind of did it for me. The choice of the next guitar is ONLY between the 2008 non-trem Loomis which is for sure South Korea made and the Agile Septor 727 which is also Korea made. So it's kind of russian roulette now with Schecter...you got 2/3 chance of getting one of the shittier quality guitar! I hope this is NOT true! It seems kinda confirmed though...