Guitar Player's Thread

My volume knob to my RR24 has been giving me hell for a long time by falling off whenever it damn well pleases, so I had tried everything to get it to stay on, including super glue, and yesterday I was walking to my drummers house and by the time I got there the fucking thing was gone...

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK

You have to screw IN the "U" so the two parts will be spread against your knob. It shouldn't fall anymore if you screw it this way.

2dv7kaw.jpg

On the right is a view from the top.

Bump.

Guys, I'm looking at rack gear because I want to expand on my sound, I haven't been gigging a lot or anything, but going through the local venues I find there never to be(of course) a consistent sound from the bands, and i blame this mainly on the lack of proper amps provided, various different cabs. Heck, even supposedly live friendly Line6 Rack gear have had a pretty ass sound from time to time, so what i'm planning to do is this:

Get a rack BAG(for easy handling) and installing a proper preamp(haven't decided on which yet, need something with both decent clean and decent distortion) + an effects unit, think something like G-Major, and then slaving the house amp as a power amp, most likely with a THQ hot plate brought with me as well, as i have run into amps with no power amp volume control.

Now the thing is, because of all the different variables with cabs and different amps, I've been having an idea of getting a DIGITAL rack EQ with Midi switchability, so i can switch EQ presets on the fly by tapping one or several buttons, purpose of this is to combat any mid woof or bass overdrive or whatever the fuck a shitty cab or a shitty power amp will present me with. Seeing as small venues rarely give more than 2 minutes of sound check, i'd rather have the ability to sift through a variety of EQ samples fast INFRONT of the monitor, than have to sit in front of the amp/rack/cab and try to adjust the EQ manually.

So far this unit has proven the most promising, but i havent found one dedicated to guitar signals or anything, all digital EQ's seem to be "strictly" for studio use, and seeing as i'm fairly new to racks, will this be OK to run after the preamp section?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/280608-REG/Behringer_DEQ2496_DEQ2496_Digital_EQ.html

its probably the only one so far ive found that can be controlled by MIDI

Dude wtf just buy your own cab and poweramp.

Behringer EQ : $250
Midi Switcher: $150
THD Hotplate: $330
Total: $739

You are going to pay that much to play through a venue's shitty equipment?

Don't say "it takes to long to set up" or "I don't have enough room in my car for a cab" because It takes 2 min to set up a cab and I've fit a 7 piece drumset with 24" kick drums, a full drum rack, my guitar cab, a few guitars, a tub full of t-shirts, and a small Jewish kid into my old jeep

You could easily buy a solidstate power amp and a NICE used cab for that money

Dude wtf just buy your own cab and poweramp.

Behringer EQ : $250
Midi Switcher: $150
THD Hotplate: $330
Total: $739

You are going to pay that much to play through a venue's shitty equipment?

Don't say "it takes to long to set up" or "I don't have enough room in my car for a cab" because It takes 2 min to set up a cab and I've fit a 7 piece drumset with 24" kick drums, a full drum rack, my guitar cab, a few guitars, a tub full of t-shirts, and a small Jewish kid into my old jeep

You could easily buy a solidstate power amp and a NICE used cab for that money

I will be using the EQ in my home studio outside of that, midi switcher im getting anyways, hot plate too, all things i've already planned on getting. Space is not an issue. I don't play metal, fair and simple. The kind of music i'll be playing requires more than a Head and a Cab, i'll use the midi switchboard to control the G-Major and the Preamp simultaneously, changing channels on the Preamp and presets on the G-Major at the same time. Adding a power amp to this, and a cab, with the midi board, the guitars, two pedals etc will shave considerable time away from my sound check, so i'm trying to shorten the list of equipment down to the minimum for maximum versatility and maximum sound possibility.

If i played simple thrash metal i'd just bring a Guitar and a Maxxon OD808 and just crank/rock it. Unfortunately that's not the kind of music that i and my band write atm, so i have to work with what i can to maximize my potential sound. Gear and sound whore too so really.. Haha.

And no transport is not a problem, i've transported a full size amp and an armada of guitars in a sedan before, not an issue.

I donno. Still, i'm not buying all this gear JUST to play at local venues, all things i beforehand wanted and planned on buying, just looking into the EQ thing now to see if i can simplify my live rig a bit, usign it double as studio EQ and live EQ. So thats essentially my question, i won't have any problems using this studio EQ in a guitar rack?

Why would you? Anyways, maybe I got you wrong, but I wouldn't start worrying for studio/venue patches to liven up the sound. I'd instead get a good working and powerful guitar rack (or amp with some rack effects) that sounds good in itself. Then the only thing you need is a mic to drive the sound to the venue sound system. Trying to fix a venue's crappy sound with tons of eq from yourself is kinda pointless. Those things happen in small clubs, they don't usually take place in fairly reasonable size venues, so if the sound system is really crap then I'd better have a powerful amp/poweramp and cab and play straight from it.

Same goes for studios: you won't find crappy equipment in fairly good studios. Only in cheap home studios or really small ones. And then there's not much you can do no matter how much stuff you have.

To sum it up, get a good amp or a good preamp+poweramp combo and couple effect units (noise gate, please) and a good cab and you're good to go.

Fair enough. Sorry, sometimes I forgot how much of a "plug and play" guy I am sometimes :lol: I just go guitar>noisgate>amp haha.

The studio EQ should work fine in a guitar set up, it will probably just have a lot of extra features that wont apply to a guitar setup

Some times there is only so much you can do to get a decent sound at some of the venues now days. I went to see Trivium last weekend and I must say I was impressed by their tone for the size of the place they were playing. It looked like they were using 6505's and Marshall cabs, and it sounded amazing. Corey blew up two heads during their set, but they also played for quite awhile since it was the last show of their tour and it was in their hometown here in orlando.

Every other band had pretty shitty tone though, but alot of those bands were Mesa fags who scooped out their mids hardcore and just ride the low E string.

Lugging a rack around can be such a pain though, that shit gets heavy fast, even just with a power amp and preamp. I would buy a rack for recording but not gigging unless I didn't have to move the shit around :rofl:

When I actually start playing out more, I'm just going to bring my Randall stack and a back up head, and maybe pick up some mic's to mic' my cabinets so I don't lose too much of my tone through whatever the venue has for sound. My drummers family owns a majority of the small venues around here though where we will be playing at though so getting a decent sound shouldn't be too hard since I trust their judgement.

My point basically is if you're not in a band to where you can afford to have someone move your equipment for you, I wouldn't recommend a rack =/ That and since they're expensive as fuck I wouldn't want my rack equipment going through all that hell.

In unrelated news, my volume knob is long gone =(

Why would you? Anyways, maybe I got you wrong, but I wouldn't start worrying for studio/venue patches to liven up the sound. I'd instead get a good working and powerful guitar rack (or amp with some rack effects) that sounds good in itself. Then the only thing you need is a mic to drive the sound to the venue sound system. Trying to fix a venue's crappy sound with tons of eq from yourself is kinda pointless. Those things happen in small clubs, they don't usually take place in fairly reasonable size venues, so if the sound system is really crap then I'd better have a powerful amp/poweramp and cab and play straight from it.

Same goes for studios: you won't find crappy equipment in fairly good studios. Only in cheap home studios or really small ones. And then there's not much you can do no matter how much stuff you have.

To sum it up, get a good amp or a good preamp+poweramp combo and couple effect units (noise gate, please) and a good cab and you're good to go.

No. If you really think that just a preamp poweramp combo and a "couple of effects" will do, you're missing the kind of sound i want completely. And I'm not aiming to replace the venues gear completely, i wont have TIME for that on stage, I'm talking really small venues, like those clubs you mention, i still want to represent a general sound that's more close to what i want, than going full focus on one great distortion amp and having a SHIT clean sound. In bigger venues i will of course eventually end up growing the rack, it's not like i'll be having this initial setup for years. And im not buying the EQ to use in someone elses studio, i want to eventually build one myself, i.e a home studio(for myself, bassist is already building a studio for himself that i could potentially use whenever i want, but i want to be able to work from the comfort of my own living room to get down ideas when i get them, not when i have time to pop in there)

Seriously not everyone plays metal all day long, where the ideal sound is a balls to the walls distortion and leaving it at that, going to a studio and shitting out a series of tracks and just let producer and some random bloke take care of your sound and everything.

I'm actually interested in the whole process of creating the atmosphere i want, from the smallest EQ adjustment and layering to tracking it to writing it to practicing guitar in my home and playing it live.

Put it this way, my "dream" setup would be the following:

Guitar(no point in listing specs, i want at LEAST 5 different ones) -> Pedal Tuner ->Morley Bad horsie 2 -> OD pedal(probably Maxxon OD808 or similar) -> Signal Splitter

Split 1[rythm/crunch/distortion]:
Peavey 5150 -> Cab(Probably matched, maybe Basson, need to test those)

Split 2[solo/sounds/noise/atmospheric/ambient]:
RACK(this is the main rack, it will contain things not particularly in this chain of split, but i will list some auxiliary things here that may be infront or after the signal splitter)
Wireless Unit
Rack Tuner
Noise Gate
Compressor
Mesa Boogie Recording Preamp
EQ
t.c electronic G-Major
GCX Audio switcher -> VLGCP Midi Foot controller
POWER AMP(gonna have to test these if i can, if not VHT or Mesa, can always sell and get the other/an other if i dont like it)
RACK END
Cab(same as before, matched or basson)

Split 3[clean/ambient/noise]:
Compressor
Roland JC-120
FX LOOP
t.c Electronic G-Force
BOSS GT-Pro
Eventide H8000FW(pricey fucker, doesn't kill the dream though)
FX LOOP END
(this is a combo, no cab needed)

Ideally, i'll have 4 4X12(2 dry, 2 wet), but 2x12 or other will work too, or some other configuration

This is the basic idea of what I'm aiming for in the long run. To anyone keen to point out that this is a ridiculously expensive setup; i am very aware of this. But you got to understand that the rack and sound side of music is just as big of a hobby for me, as the playing guitar side, i love it, and i want this out of interest, love, and sound ideas.

It will take time, dedication, and money. I am aware of this, but this is how i want it, this is what i want to do. It's a hobby, and its far from the most expensive hobby out there, I've seen folks shelf out more cash at things more trivial than this. It's my choice, and I don't expect many of you to understand why I want to do it this way, but believe me, i can't fucking imagine how you guys can stand a plug and play setup with only one sound.

To me that would be like living of dry bread and water for the rest of my life, i want more tastes.

I got my answer though, thanks Lowberg :D

inb4 trolling me because i'm a gear whore :p

Lugging a rack around can be such a pain though, that shit gets heavy fast, even just with a power amp and preamp. I would buy a rack for recording but not gigging unless I didn't have to move the shit around :rofl:

When I actually start playing out more, I'm just going to bring my Randall stack and a back up head, and maybe pick up some mic's to mic' my cabinets so I don't lose too much of my tone through whatever the venue has for sound. My drummers family owns a majority of the small venues around here though where we will be playing at though so getting a decent sound shouldn't be too hard since I trust their judgement.

My point basically is if you're not in a band to where you can afford to have someone move your equipment for you, I wouldn't recommend a rack =/ That and since they're expensive as fuck I wouldn't want my rack equipment going through all that hell.

The rack i'll be "lugging around" for local venues and simple touring will be in bags;

GRB2-large.jpg

GRB4-large.jpg

Hardly any worse "lugging around" than a pedal board suitcase and a head.

Of course my initial setup will be lighter and less versatile, but eventually i want to expand. Obviously i'll have to go big to lug that dream setup around, but that's honestly besides the point, it's a hobby.

I hope at least some of you will grasp my point :p

Other portable rack designs for those interested:
http://www.sweetwater.com/c460--Portable_Rack_Bags

I hope you get well paid..

People with a normal income manage to have larger car collections as hobbies, i don't think its entirely unreasonable to acquire most of this gear within a 5-10 year period :p I don't expect to amass this mountain of gear at my first trip to the shop :lol:

I agree with you about the metal thing. Cleans are very important to me too, and I'm not so narrowminded as to just play metal, I was just saying.

But anyways, I've never tried a 5150 to know what it's cleans are like
I understand what you mean about not having enough time to set up, that's why I mentioned that I'm lucky and know the people so I can kinda push my time with things like that :rofl:

Yeah, you do have quite the expensive set up listed there, but that gives you something to work towards. I'm not putting you down by any means if that's what you want to do, I'm just stating that I myself just like to keep things simple and get the most out of what I have. The thought of so many things to break kinda scares me actually =(

Really, all I can really say I see myself even wanting in the future as far as a list of equipment goes something like this:

Randall Ninja V2 stack
Marshall Jvm
Peavey 6505+
TS 808
A handful of pedals that will most likely be just different chorus, delay, and reverb.
And then the list of guitars would just be obnoxious because no one guitar can really satisfy me =/
The three heads I just want because all 3 have had me interested for quite awhile. I would really like to get a splawn quickrod at some point, but eh...

Lastly, I understood your point, I was referring to the racks that grow to be a good 4 feet tall lol. Obviously that's not quite what you had in mind though =P

I agree with you about the metal thing. Cleans are very important to me too, and I'm not so narrowminded as to just play metal, I was just saying.

But anyways, I've never tried a 5150 to know what it's cleans are like
I understand what you mean about not having enough time to set up, that's why I mentioned that I'm lucky and know the people so I can kinda push my time with things like that :rofl:

Yeah, you do have quite the expensive set up listed there, but that gives you something to work towards. I'm not putting you down by any means if that's what you want to do, I'm just stating that I myself just like to keep things simple and get the most out of what I have. The thought of so many things to break kinda scares me actually =(

Really, all I can really say I see myself even wanting in the future as far as a list of equipment goes something like this:

Randall Ninja V2 stack
Marshall Jvm
Peavey 6505+
TS 808
A handful of pedals that will most likely be just different chorus, delay, and reverb.
And then the list of guitars would just be obnoxious because no one guitar can really satisfy me =/
The three heads I just want because all 3 have had me interested for quite awhile. I would really like to get a splawn quickrod at some point, but eh...

Lastly, I understood your point, I was referring to the racks that grow to be a good 4 feet tall lol. Obviously that's not quite what you had in mind though =P

Hehe, sorry if i offended you by implying you were only METULZ player, at times i feel pretty alienated to the general guitar players here, even though i enjoy proper metal and love to play that too. I have tried a 5150 with its cleans and i werent really satisfied with it. I havent owned one so i cant say i have many hours behind the clean channel, but i can tell when it's just going to be a battle getting the tone i want out from it.

Now i haven't tried the JC-120, but its legendary status and testing Roland MODELING amps modeling that model, i was blown away just by that, the cleanest crispest clean tone i've had my hands on, and i've played through a ton of amps at the local shop, Solid state, all tube, and everything inbetween, digital modeling on computer too(mainly Revalver and GR3/4).

Usually i can get around and find a decent clean tone, but with the roland stuff i felt bang on with the first chord, and adjusting from there just opened a whole new world of cleans, i honestly fell in love :lol: I'll have to try the JC-120 first i guess, i'll get my local shop to order one in(i dont have to buy it if i dont like it, theyre great guys lol) to compare with the modeling amp of it, if i like the modeling one i'll get that one instead, but teh Jazz Chorus amp is legendary for a reason. It's just spot on for what i want from a clean amp.

Hehe yeah, its a lot of shit to break, lots of things can go wrong, and let me tell you i'll have to fail safe the rack with fuses and everything to not have everything blow in case the venue has a cunt electrical system. I know a decent amount of electronics, so that will be no real problem. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Yeah.. There might be a rack some day that will grow to 4 feets :lol: But all in due time, i'll more likely break it up into smaller parts for carrying and place them ontop of eachother to join them through the power supply unit, etc.

I REALLY want the eventide harmonizer unit

i honestly think it sounds godlike, and this is just a tiny tiny fraction of what its capable of. It's a shame it costs roughly $5200 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i'm getting a Krank amp for christmas from my uncle....the krankenstein i think. Anyone played on one?? how is it??

^Balls to the wall. Pantera's last albums could give you a hint on the kind of distortion it has.

@Muffin: You missed my point. I did read you're not going for a simple metal sound, and I wasn't telling you to go with one amp, I was telling you that for the point you're at the best thing for you would be a good cab with two chanels (or maybe go for the Engl Powerball with 4) to have dist/clean/crunch all in one and some power in there and the ability to switch between them and then somehow with a signal spliter or something (I'm not really experienced in this) have an effect rack with different pre-sets for each chanel, and then one or two powerful cabs to drive them. Of course it wouldn't be your dream rack and wouldn't be as versatile as the huge list of stuff you wrote, but would give you independence and the possibility of just playing straight from there in those small venues.

In the future and with time of course I want a wider setup and more guitars and all, but to get rolling and be able to gig and start doing things in the short term it's good to have a shorter set to start. Then, when you eventually have your desired gear, you may either sell that previous set or keep it as backup.