Guitar Player's Thread

^Balls to the wall. Pantera's last albums could give you a hint on the kind of distortion it has.

@Muffin: You missed my point. I did read you're not going for a simple metal sound, and I wasn't telling you to go with one amp, I was telling you that for the point you're at the best thing for you would be a good cab with two chanels (or maybe go for the Engl Powerball with 4) to have dist/clean/crunch all in one and some power in there and the ability to switch between them and then somehow with a signal spliter or something (I'm not really experienced in this) have an effect rack with different pre-sets for each chanel, and then one or two powerful cabs to drive them. Of course it wouldn't be your dream rack and wouldn't be as versatile as the huge list of stuff you wrote, but would give you independence and the possibility of just playing straight from there in those small venues.

In the future and with time of course I want a wider setup and more guitars and all, but to get rolling and be able to gig and start doing things in the short term it's good to have a shorter set to start. Then, when you eventually have your desired gear, you may either sell that previous set or keep it as backup.
>is aware i require a good dist and CLEAN tone
>recommends ENGL Powerball

:p

Seriously though, i've tried hte engl extensively(they always have one at the local shop), and i pretty much HATE every channel except the high gain rythm one. The clean is just 100% useless, wouldn't work.

Thing is that, the better the rythm/lead tone gets, the worse the cleans get, it's pretty frustrating finding a work horse that can do both. I've yet to try 1U units like Sansamps or something like that, but i guess i'll eventually have to decide wether i want to get a head first or not.

I havent tried a Dual recto's clean channel, only the Stiletto(it was alright, rythm too, but too pricey for what i'd get imo).

I think we're on the same page though, just a different approach to it, I'm thinking more about cleans and leaning toward rack units, while you're on the other side of the spectrum, we're thinking of the same thing though, EVENTUALLY, because the setup you speak of is also something i won't get to buy within the next year. Just trying to plan (really) far ahead and work out what would give me the most bang for the buck, while still being able to 1. travel light, 2. get stuff i know i'll use later on.

Check out Firewind's album Allegiance.
Gus G mostly used the Krankenstein for that one I think.

I've never played a Krank, but everyone that was using them for awhile left them. Gus G has his signature randall, and so does Michael Amott, and Christian Olde Wolbers, who were both on Krank for a bit as well. I'm sure Krank is good and all, so I'd be happy if I were you snap, but I'm more partial to Randall =/

>is aware i require a good dist and CLEAN tone
>recommends ENGL Powerball

Again you're not getting my point. Of course Powerball doesn't have exactly a good clean sound, but you could get a decent one to go and as I've said what I'm aiming here is to show you a setup that for the time beeing and if you're to gig sooner than in 10 years (which I hope you do) would allow you to get decent sounding tones. Yes, not the ones you want exactly if you had the money to buy all that stuff you listed, but as a small rig to get going while you slowly keep getting your dream list.

The Powerball was just because it has a lot of chanels so it'd give you a somehow versatile while maintaining the price at an affordable level to start with something.

Again you're not getting my point. Of course Powerball doesn't have exactly a good clean sound, but you could get a decent one to go and as I've said what I'm aiming here is to show you a setup that for the time beeing and if you're to gig sooner than in 10 years (which I hope you do) would allow you to get decent sounding tones. Yes, not the ones you want exactly if you had the money to buy all that stuff you listed, but as a small rig to get going while you slowly keep getting your dream list.

The Powerball was just because it has a lot of chanels so it'd give you a somehow versatile while maintaining the price at an affordable level to start with something.

I wasn't being serious, don't worry, i get your point, but i disagree that i could get a decent one to go :p The ENGL is clearly a metal workhorse and emphasize on that part. Clean is not simply "clean" lol.

"as I've said what I'm aiming here is to show you a setup that for the time beeing and if you're to gig sooner than in 10 years"

*facepalm* You haven't been reading my posts, just stop replying to me if you aren't gonna read anything. You don't know what i either want from an amp, nor a live show, nor my aim of sound. I already KNOW that I don't need to buy a fucking massive rig for the first gigs, and i have already posted this. I honestly don't know why you're even posting now, reading that.

I'll be doing this just how i want regardless of what you guys post anyways, It's not like i haven't thought about this, and its not like i didn't come here asking just one simple question; "Will that rack piece work in a rig".

sup' guys, i was wondering about your guitar tuning methods, open string? just one hit in the string? or something else?

sup' guys, i was wondering about your guitar tuning methods, open string? just one hit in the string? or something else?

I tune the open string first, then tune it by the 12 fret, and then the 24th, then make sure the 12th fret harmonic matches the fretted noted, and same with the 24th. I do this and adjust my bridge and tune until I have perfect intonation between the frets.

LINE 6 SPIDER IIs FUCKING SUCK DONKEY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUCK THIS FUCKING AMP TO THE DEEPEST DEPTHS OF HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest mistake of my life was buying this fucking amp, FUCK!

Can anyone suggest me a good metal distortion pedal? I'm looking for something that doesn't boost the mids too much, and where you can turn the gain down far enough if necessary (since violin needs a lot less gain than guitar before it sounds horrible); also sth that has a decent tone int the mid-to-high range. Any suggestions?

Yeah. I'm trying to find a good metal distortion for it. I have a cheap Digitech RP255 effects box, but I don't really like the sound I get all that much.